Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:45 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
Cuningham shows more versatility than Williamson IMO. Skills are better, stronger over the ball and has more pace.
He deserves to hold his place in defence for Round 1 IMHO. Plus his speed is better suited to the Tigers small forwards.

Our tall back line is a bit of a worry against the Tigers smalls. Would you prefer to stick to the structure we'll use in defence asll year or as a one off use Weitering up forward in a negating role on Rance?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:16 pm 
Ken Hunter

Bitchmond aren’t that good. They got lucky!!

We won’t get smashed. We need to believe in this group and coach!

We do however, need to make sure we match their intensity, in particular early on, as they will be up and about. Hold firm, quieten the Bitchmond crowd and play it like an away game, and we can spoil their party. We are good at spoiling parties!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:05 pm 
Rod Ashman

Against the hawks we tried a lot of centering the ball when we got to the wing. There were a number of times when it didn't work and against the more aggressive defence I think it will be even more dangerous. Almost the entire Hawks score came form our turnovers. I am not sure that the tigers 'got lucky' but whatever happened their confidence is now up. If our efforts to lift our attacking footy include increasing the risk of those inside passes and the tigers have their tails up it will get ugly for us.
I wonder if that run and carry approach that culminated in a goal early in the game (IIRC) is a 'better risk' than the kick to the middle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Wright wrongly had a bad game last night

...but came good in the 2nd half.

Plowman also made a lot of blunders in the 1st half.
Come to thin k of it, so did Murphy and Thomas.

All of the above have been selected in your team.

Then there's McKay who looked dead set out of his league.

You've selected all of them in your team. Wright was one of our best just a week ago.

I think we are all looking to make room to get some of our future stars into the team, so there's pressure on spots. With Wright at the wrong end of his career he seems the next in line to make way along with Simmo and Thomas...as is ASOS and Rowe.

Its an exciting time and a season we are all looking forward to. This year with all the layers being assembled its the start of our future.

I can't wait for when the likes of Macreadie, McKay, Williamson, Garlett, Lang and OBrien are bonafide senior selections due to form, not just development.

IMO Wright has enough runs on the board and let himself down in the first half on Saturday, something I am happy to say he rarely does when the others have.

Do you really think McKay is ready to play against Rance?

Nothing to lose everything to gain persisting with H while he's fit, IMO.

Good attitude.

I think Bolts thinks along similar lines...get games...about 50 asap.... into the kids.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

double post

I think Macreadie Willo and Cuningham are the future at this stage too.

We have a few oldies to retire soon enough...Simmo, Rowe, ASOS, Wright, Murphy and then there's still pressure for spots.

I too am sold on Macreadie

Last edited by bondiblue on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Bitchmond aren’t that good. They got lucky!!

We won’t get smashed. We need to believe in this group and coach!

We do however, need to make sure we match their intensity, in particular early on, as they will be up and about. Hold firm, quieten the Bitchmond crowd and play it like an away game, and we can spoil their party. We are good at spoiling parties!!

Yep :thumbsup:

They got lucky...they got big headed Adelaide who thought they could walk over the Toggers by just turning up...BIG HEADS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:44 am 
Stephen Kernahan

FWIW I don't think Harry is ready for Rd1. I would prefer to see Garlett in. Our mids and small forwards have benefited a lot from the quick ball movement and that's where the goals have come from. Spillages and forward pressure.
The Tigers had an easy JLT and we had a good hitout in the second game against an opposition which plays like Richmond will.
If we can stay with them for the first quarter and take the crowd out of it, I think we are in with a show.
We had some luck with the Hawks inaccuracy but that doesn't take anything away from the way we absorbed what they threw at us and then changed up a gear in the second half.

I also think we have a better midfield setup than last year, despite the absence of Gibbs or maybe because of it. It is a lot harder to choke the clearances now with Kennedy to take one position and of course Curnow is like a new recruit. We sorely missed his presence in the second half of the season. Ad Dow to the midfield, SPS who was quiet last week but we know how good he can be, Fisher, who is a much better player already than he looked last year and Gibbs is covered.

The problem will be if Kreuzer doesn't get up. Not because of Kreuzer himself. Casboult did well enough in his absence although he is no Kreuzer around the ground. The issue will filter down tot he tall forward and Harry. He is not ready. It might be we have to put Weitering in the forward line.

The best part of all this as was mentioned in an earlier post, is that we now have depth.

I am seriously confident we will not be beaten by 79 points.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:23 am 
Adrian Gallagher

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-13/s ... ew-carlton

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:47 am 
Harry Vallence

BennyP30 wrote:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-13/season-preview-carlton

They really dont rate us when Docherty gets second in their B&F without playing a game!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:15 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

GMCbris wrote:
BennyP30 wrote:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-13/season-preview-carlton

They really dont rate us when Docherty gets second in their B&F without playing a game!!

That’s the 2017 B&F results. Which I still can’t believe Murphy won.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:05 pm 
John Nicholls

Big H not ready. Garlett to play if he's fit. We need the new mosquito fleet: Garlett, SPS and Pickett all buzzing around and getting all up in Bitchmond grills.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:55 pm 
Wayne Johnston

If we are going to play in their half, absorb repeat entries and try and score on the counter attack we cant play with Jones, Witering, Plowman and Marchbank in defense against the tigers. Or any team really.

I hope we pick a well balanced team and give it a good crack.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

club29 wrote:
If we are going to play in their half, absorb repeat entries and try and score on the counter attack we cant play with Jones, Witering, Plowman and Marchbank in defense against the tigers. Or any team really.

Have to realise when the play is predominantly in the opposition's half for periods, just as was the case against Hawks, those 4 mobile talls also had support form the other smaller and quicker defenders i Simpson and Byrne, but more importantly the whole midfield were there to run out the ball, and had HF's on the centre line. They successfully ran out the ball, and we won the game.

Setanta and his little helpers, or in the Tiggers case Jack and his Little Jerks did well when they were winning in the midfield.

I'm happy to see what our set up can do against there's.

Kreuzer ... as a ruck and Ruck Rover
Cripps
Kennedy
Curnow
SPS
Murphy

add a bit of zip from Dow, Pickett, Fisher, Cuningham and maybe Garlett and we have plenty of speed weapons of mass destruction for them to worry about.

Marchbank on a wing with Cuningham in the backline in the 2nd half worked well with Marchbank providing an avehue out of defense with his great marking. I dont know how Grigg will stop him :wink:

Just watched the game against Hawks and we are playing a daring game of run on footy just as are the Tiggers... like many others, I know they were lucky to win the GF.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
Big H not ready. Garlett to play if he's fit. We need the new mosquito fleet: Garlett, SPS and Pickett all buzzing around and getting all up in Bitchmond grills.

We do have the Renaissance of the original Carlton Mosquito Fleet appearing right before our eyes this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:04 pm 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
club29 wrote:

Have to realise when the play is predominantly in the opposition's half for periods, just as was the case against Hawks, those 4 mobile talls also had support form the other smaller and quicker defenders i Simpson and Byrne, but more importantly the whole midfield were there to run out the ball, and had HF's on the centre line. They successfully ran out the ball, and we won the game.

We got destroyed in the first quarter. Poor conversion from the hawks though. Once Marchbank was moved out were were a lot better no doubt.

Richmond will destroy us if we go in too tall. One tall too many is enough to give them an advantage. In my opinion we have 2 , possibly 3 too many.

We will get better as the season progresses but i can't see us getting close against the premiers.

Last edited by club29 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
robertbb wrote:

We do have the Renaissance of the original Carlton Mosquito Fleet appearing right before our eyes this year.

Add Fisher to that....!

kindest regards tommi

I think so anyway...!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

tommi wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
robertbb wrote:

Add Fisher to that....!

kindest regards tommi

I think so anyway...!

And Lebois :smoking:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-0 ... or-round-1

Quote:
“The good part about it (ankle injury) is that it’s really mild. Matthew will start training at the back end of the week and we’re very confident he’ll be right for Round 1,” McKay said on Tuesday.

Jarrod Garlett is also in the mix for his club debut next week after succumbing to injury against St Kilda.

The exciting former Sun showed his speed and goal sense against the Saints before a knock to the shoulder saw him sidelined in the second half.

“We rested Jarrod against Hawthorn. He seems fine and we expect him to be available for selection for Round 1,” McKay said.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Anyone know how ASOS went in Saturday's curtain raiser against Box Hill?

I know he's depth, and provides leadership, but imo he's still our best defender.

Last game we played against Tiggers he was extremely tough and to an extent savage on anything Black and Yellow, till he got injured.

I doubt he'll be selected given minimum prep, plus the focus to develop the kids and them learning to gel with one another.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

If we finish 17th, BB will have some answering to do.
We have to at least hold around 14-15 IMO for him to claim we have dome anything.
Everybody looks top have improved with the possible exception of NM and WCE
This year will be another close year and the teams who finish in the 6-12 range will have to win more of the close ones than we did last year.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next