Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2017
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

According to the HUN our official picks for the draft are 3, 10, 30, 72, 95 and 96.
Surely we use those later picks on a DFA or either young Hickmott or Penrith.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:39 am 
Ken Hunter

kezza wrote:
According to the HUN our official picks for the draft are 3, 10, 30, 72, 95 and 96.

Rather give kids a go as no DFA worth the punt. I'd go with Hickmott and Penrith instead.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:25 pm 
Wayne Johnston

spock wrote:
I think jack will be the perfect third tall like Gunston was for hawthorn when we have a better forward line .He has a lot better speed than people think and is still under developed like sos was when he entered the league.

Does that forward line model apply these days?

Can see Jack working hard to displace Plow or Marchbank down the track if fitting him into the forward line is deemed to be doing more harm than good.

Im hoping we play more nippy players in our forward and backline this coming year. Get a bit more mobility , run and energy into our gameplan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:30 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

club29 wrote:
spock wrote:
I think jack will be the perfect third tall like Gunston was for hawthorn when we have a better forward line .He has a lot better speed than people think and is still under developed like sos was when he entered the league.

Can see Jack working hard to displace Plow or Marchbank down the track if fitting him into the forward line is deemed to be doing more harm than good.

Im hoping we play more nippy players in our forward and backline this coming year. Get a bit more mobility , run and energy into our gameplan.

More than anything our forward 50 needs smarts and skills. Jack has both. More mobility, run and energy is absolutely needed between the arcs.

Post subject: List Management 2017
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

.... More mobility, run and energy is absolutely needed between the arcs....

Agree... And it's something we lack. Speed is going to be the 'trend' for at least a couple of years..
Big year for Pickett
BB may get rookied on that point alone.

Go you good things

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:55 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Rexy wrote:
club29 wrote:
spock wrote:

More than anything our forward 50 needs smarts and skills. Jack has both. More mobility, run and energy is absolutely needed between the arcs.

Add McKay for Casboult and mobility increases.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:35 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Jack also adds great forward pressure when we don't have the ball.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:08 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kezza wrote:

I know it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but can someone explain to me why we have the last two picks of the draft and how that came about?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:38 am 
Geoff Southby

Stone Free wrote:
kezza wrote:

I know it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but can someone explain to me why we have the last two picks of the draft and how that came about?

Because we cut so many guys from our list that we need that many picks to replace them.

I doubt the last 2 or 3 will be ‘live’ picks - I suspect they will be used to promote a rookie (JGM? COS?) and a preselection (Hickmott or Penrith). And there is still time to pick up another DFA instead of using one of those later picks.

It’s going to be very interesting to see what we do with those last spots on our primary list; the club must think one of those preselected players, or whoever is left in the draft at #75, 95 & 96, is better than the likes of Boekhorst, Buckley, Smedts & Sumner....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Boekhorst, O’Shea and Shaw training with us.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

FWIW Snoop on BF has us taking...
Snoop Dog wrote:
# 3 Carlton

CAMERON RAYNER – WESTERN JETS / MEDIUM FWD & MID / 187cm

You will hear people say Dusty Martin. They are big bags to carry and whilst I think more Robbie Gray the kid is a gun. Like Robbie he has those first few steps that can propel him from contests and then pull games apart very quickly and take them away from an opposition club. Some of his work at TAC and Championship level was just breath taking. Explosive, quick, agile, skilled, composed and a wonderful contested mark are all attributes he wears well. One on one Rayner is a difficult match up and when he gets the size to him he will take that form to AFL level. I actually think he is a huge chance to play pretty quickly as a small forward albeit he needs to improve his endurance to do that. Risk is he is a Pickett like talent but it’s a very different game at AFL level.

Why / Who else

With another pick at 10 and 30 go find a couple of mids there and just go the best player here and Rayner is it. Having said that SOS likes athletic kids with who can run and that may send him to Cerra or Brayshaw.

Snoop Dog wrote:
# 10 Carlton

HUNTER CLARK – DANDENONG STINGRAYS / MIDFIELDER / 186CM

One that I was a bit down on post champs because I don’t think he (like a few others) grabbed his opportunity and showed us his best. By the year end that had all changed. Had a fantastic end to the year and was outstanding during the finals series and then had a really good showing in the All Star game. He is a real ball hunter and reminds a bit of Shuey and his aggression at the footy. He is an elite user left and right foot when he is on and that’s going to appeal to clubs a lot.

Why / Who else

If they could walk away with Rayner and Clark I reckon they would be thrilled. I had Constable pencilled here for a long time and still think he would be very close along with Bonar.

Snoop Dog wrote:
# 31 Carlton

JAMES WORPEL – GEELONG FALCONS / MIDFIELDER / 184cm

Strong midielder who was a terrific performer last year at the champs and was considered to be an early selection for this year. Great competitor and works hard inside the contest to win the footy and then explode away. His first few steps can be very good. When he is on as he was in the GF he can turn games. I think there has been a knock on his skill level but for anyone that watched him in the finals or the All Star game that was probably put to bed a bit. Not sure where he will land but I think he is a definite player. Think Ben Cunnington.

Why / Who else

Tossed up between he, Matt Day and Will Walker. They may bid on Shipley as well.

Snoop Dog wrote:
# 74 Carlton

JACKSON EDWARDS – GLENELG/ MIDFIELDER / 185cm

Father son for Adelaide who reminds of Simon Black. Smooth mover and I think is a really good midfielder when he has the ball in hand. His issue is his speed – its not great and hence why Crows have taken the risk as they probably liken him to Grigg and his deficiencies. Having said that, he put in some good games late in the SANFL and I reckon a club will call him out.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

epic

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

Midfielder
Midfielder
Midfielder
Midfielder

Sounds about right

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:08 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Transcript - List management meeting today...

McKay: Morning all... where's Bear ?

Judd: who ?

McKay: what are you doing here Juddy ?

Judd: I'm footy director, Macca.

McKay: Uh ?, oh ok, ... righto first things first, Doch's done his knee I think we're flowered...

Bolton: told you we shouldn't have got rid of Gibba !!

SOS: oh FFS Bolts let it go !

Bolton: we lose Gibba and Doch and you give me a 20yo kid and a Geelong second stringer !!... you're right Macca we're flowered !... FLOWERED !!

Barker: Stuart Dew FFS ! ...still can't believe it...

SOS : Guys... GUYS... PLEASE !?!?

Barker: sorry SOS ..... DEW !

Judd: well, I'd just like to say...

Bolton: Juddy, I think we need to talk about my current deal, I want a contract... 4 yrs... not happy with this Trigg 'on staff' bullshit

Judd: yeah yeah, I'll run it past Gil and get back to you

Judd: now, as I was saying...

McKay: where's Bear ?

Judd: what ?

Bolton: where's Gibba ??

SOS: we're flowered

Barker: DEW ?!?!

McKay: we'll adjourn the meeting until Bear gets here...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

:lol:

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:44 pm 
Harry Vallence

i'm sharing that

rofl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:40 pm 
Bruce Comben

That conversation above is gold... would love to see you do 1 a week during the season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:47 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I am assuming that was as part of a phantom draft on BF?
If not, he is assuming Rayner will slip to three.
There is some talk around the edges of Dow or Uniake- going 1-2 but the mainstream 'pundits' are all going Rayner from what I can see.
I know SFA about the players in the draft apart from what I have seen on their highlights but as far as I am concerned, anybody who is mentioned in the same sentence (football skills wise) as Dusty is OK by me and if he slips to us, so much the better.

It looks like the top 4-5 will all be guns for different reasons and we can't really miss out unless ours gets injured and has to give it away.
Pick 10 is the one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:49 pm 
Ken Hunter

kezza wrote:

AFL website as of a few days ago still saying we have these picks.
I would assume from this that Alex Silvagni is still on the rookie list.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:56 pm 
Bob Chitty

kezza wrote:
kezza wrote:

AFL website as of a few days ago still saying we have these picks.
I would assume from this that Alex Silvagni is still on the rookie list.

Don't the upgrades still take place at the draft?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next