Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'm sure there'll be a few who haven't seen this.

Selfishly we lost a glittering football career. More importantly the quality of his personality and that of his family has never been lost.

--

2019 update for video links

https://twitter.com/JasonBennettTV/stat ... 2355137538

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:03 am 
Serge Silvagni

Wow. Just wow. Had no idea.
Thanks for posting that and doubling my love and pride of CFC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:43 am 
Trevor Keogh

Amazing story. Heartbreaking and uplifting all in the same breathe. Thanks for posting it camel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:11 am 
Rod Ashman

There was/is always plenty of discussion in SA about the trio of Mots / Kernas / Braddles and who was the best of the 3, and Mots name was often out their in first place.

I had the privilege of seeing Mots playing for Sturt when I was a kid, just a pity, I was a tad too young to really remember his ways, unlike how I remember Kernas (the reason I love Carlton), as I saw him play every week.

I remember vividly the day Mots had his accident, and being at the age 14, didn't fully comprehend that he wouldn't get back out in the Navy Blue. As a kid, you just take things for granted....

I quite often see Mots around the place, he lives near my area, and of course he's always visible at Carlton games when the Blues play over here. He's always got a massive smile on his mug when the Navy Blues are in town, and he's just as fiercely passionate about Sturt as he is Carlton.

If his career wasn't tragically cut down like it was, Carlton would have 18 or 19 cups in the cabinet, such was how good this bloke was....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:15 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I was an ardent Peter Motley fan. Like Dirko, I was 14 and had a bit of a boy crush on Mots. I remember one day during pre-season training in '86 that Kenny Hunter kept yelling 'Hollywood!' when he wanted the ball from Mots. That name was pretty apt...he had the good looks, wore the gold chain and unfortunately (in hindsight) drove a low to the ground sports car. But he was a very good footballer. I think in part why I am so critical of Bryce Gibbs is that I can see a lot of Mots in him. Albeit Mots was harder at the contest and was a far better overhead mark, but like Bryce - Mots understood space on the footy ground and had the innate ability to find a teammate in congestion. Mots was a player a junior coach could point to and say 'Forget the ball - look at Motley and what he does'. He really was a true utility and reminded me a lot of Trevor Barker who would be far more revered as a footballer had he played in a good side.

Dirko wrote:
I remember vividly the day Mots had his accident, and being at the age 14, didn't fully comprehend that he wouldn't get back out in the Navy Blue. As a kid, you just take things for granted....

I remember hearing something on the radio the following morning and the discussion with my Carlton supporting mates at recess and lunch breaks. News spread a lot slower back then. It wasn't until 2 days after the accident that the papers reported that Peter was fighting for his life.

While we'll never really know - I am of the opinion that Mots would at some stage been drawn back to the Adelaide Crows ...whether as an inaugural member in 1991 or shortly after I'm not sure. The South Australian pull seemed to be stronger in him than the others. Similarly if a team arrived in Tasmania, Mitch Robinson would swim back across Bass Strait to be a part of it. To be honest, I'm still incredibly surprised both Braddles and Sticks stayed, but their professional careers outside of football were being nurtured in Melbourne's burgeoning printing industry.

I have been fortunate to meet a number of famous people in my life. But I never felt nervous or overawed...not like when I met Peter Motley in 2006. Mots has an aura about him and an amazing zest for life. I wanted to give him a big hug!

What I would like to happen is for Mots to be inducted into the Carlton Hall of Fame. It's worth remembering that he fits into the criteria quite easily. The Nomination Panel considers a candidate’s outstanding service and overall contribution to the Carlton Football Club (tick)...They may also consider a candidates individual record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship and character (he fits in here too). The number of games played or coached or years of administration and years of service are only a guide and not a determining factor.

It would be fitting - 25 years after he last played for the Blues - for it to happen this year. (End of rant...pens letter to Stephen Kernahan) CC: Hall of Fame Nomination Panel Bcc: craigb@docklandspress.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:09 pm 
Rod Ashman

DocSherrin wrote:
To be honest, I'm still incredibly surprised both Braddles and Sticks stayed, but their professional careers outside of football were being nurtured in Melbourne's burgeoning printing industry.

Can't speak for Braddles, but being a Glenelg man, and having information about how Harry ran the club when he was in charge and how fiercely loyal he was, that loyalty was passed down to his sons, and there was no way known Sticks would've left the Blues to come back home. If his best mate McDermott couldn't convince him to return then no-one would.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

DocSherrin wrote:
I was an ardent Peter Motley fan. Like Dirko, I was 14 and had a bit of a boy crush on Mots. I remember one day during pre-season training in '86 that Kenny Hunter kept yelling 'Hollywood!' when he wanted the ball from Mots. That name was pretty apt...he had the good looks, wore the gold chain and unfortunately (in hindsight) drove a low to the ground sports car. But he was a very good footballer. I think in part why I am so critical of Bryce Gibbs is that I can see a lot of Mots in him. Albeit Mots was harder at the contest and was a far better overhead mark, but like Bryce - Mots understood space on the footy ground and had the innate ability to find a teammate in congestion. Mots was a player a junior coach could point to and say 'Forget the ball - look at Motley and what he does'. He really was a true utility and reminded me a lot of Trevor Barker who would be far more revered as a footballer had he played in a good side.

Dirko wrote:

I remember hearing something on the radio the following morning and the discussion with my Carlton supporting mates at recess and lunch breaks. News spread a lot slower back then. It wasn't until 2 days after the accident that the papers reported that Peter was fighting for his life.

While we'll never really know - I am of the opinion that Mots would at some stage been drawn back to the Adelaide Crows ...whether as an inaugural member in 1991 or shortly after I'm not sure. The South Australian pull seemed to be stronger in him than the others. Similarly if a team arrived in Tasmania, Mitch Robinson would swim back across Bass Strait to be a part of it. To be honest, I'm still incredibly surprised both Braddles and Sticks stayed, but their professional careers outside of football were being nurtured in Melbourne's burgeoning printing industry.

I have been fortunate to meet a number of famous people in my life. But I never felt nervous or overawed...not like when I met Peter Motley in 2006. Mots has an aura about him and an amazing zest for life. I wanted to give him a big hug!

What I would like to happen is for Mots to be inducted into the Carlton Hall of Fame. It's worth remembering that he fits into the criteria quite easily. The Nomination Panel considers a candidate’s outstanding service and overall contribution to the Carlton Football Club (tick)...They may also consider a candidates individual record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship and character (he fits in here too). The number of games played or coached or years of administration and years of service are only a guide and not a determining factor.

It would be fitting - 25 years after he last played for the Blues - for it to happen this year. (End of rant...pens letter to Stephen Kernahan) CC: Hall of Fame Nomination Panel Bcc: craigb@docklandspress.com.au

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Can't add a whole lot more - but Peter Motley would have been the ultimate swing man for us during this era - played across half back, half forward and on the ball with.

Could you have imagined a half back line of of:

Motley, Silvagni, Dean.

Nothing would have got passed that - then swing him down the forward line - and taking apart the 2nd or 3rd defender marking what Kernahan what didnt.

Half Forward line of:

Motley, Kernahan, Johnston.

I cant agree more about what you say about Gibbs and Motley - I think finally Gibbs showed a bit of that harder edge last Friday Night.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:43 pm 
Bruce Doull

I thought of Bryce a bit when re-watching the Headliners piece last night too. I’d agree that Mots was a more natural mover and possibly a bit silkier with his skills. Back then the utility tag used to be a badge for not-really-good-enough to play key position, but it is a definite compliment for Mots and Gibbs.

I would have been 15 when Mots had his accident. I don’t recall it that vividly, which is a surprise because I used to cut out the stats every week and stick them in my school diary. I lived and breathed footy then a whole lot more than I do now. I remember it happening, of course, but perhaps I swept it aside for other reasons. I just remember being terribly sad for him. Winning the 87 GF was about the best we could have hoped for (for Des English as well).

Reflecting on Mots and his lost career affects me much more today than it did then. I spose it helps now that I lived past the age he was when he had his accident and can better appreciate what he has missed.

You never hear anyone say a bad word about Mots. And I reckon that’s fair dinkum too; definitely not from a sense of sympathy.

His beaming smile and the support of his dad serve as a perfect reminder about what’s really important in life. Geof strikes me as the defintion of “great bloke”. I’d love to meet him one day (and Peter of course).

I’ve mentioned this before, but prior to 1986 I was a bit of a footy vagrant and it was the arrival of the three South Australians that cemented my place with Carlton.

I was born in and growing up in Mt Gambier at the time and I supported Port Adelaide in the SANFL. As such hated Kernahan with a passion. It was only his great deeds in State of Origin footy that helped soften the blow when he came to Carlton.

I went to boarding school in Victoria and these guys certainly made my life a bit easier in the mid-late 80s. They were probably South Australia’s best years in State of Origin. At least they beat the Vics for all five years I was in high school!

Anyway, even though I supported Port, Mots was my favourite player from the SANFL. He was just a genuine natural. His effort in the 86 GF was half decent too from memory.

I think Doc’s Hall of Fame idea is a ripper. It may not come to anything, but I reckon we should try and start some sort of groundswell of opinion to get that up.

In the bigger picture it’s only a small thing, but I reckon it would be a fantastic way to honour Mots and his untapped potential. Who knows, he may knock it back, but I think it would be a great thing for the club to offer.

There's no doubt Motley's entry into the HoF would have been a formality if not for his accident.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

Having seen Mots early games, I am convinced we saw but a small glimmer of what was possible.

But what I think draws so many to Mots story, is he is the absolute epitome of the saying "its not what happens to you in life, its how you deal with what happens".

The dignity and grace that he and his family have carried themselves with in the face of the tragedy is outstanding.

And I disagree on him returning to Adelaide. You can see so often how much he loves Carlton, even after all these years.

"top bloke" is a massive understatement.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:44 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Worth remembering the contribution of Jack Elliot with Mots' recovery too. If Mots was to receive a Carlton Hall of Fame induction, JE would be one of the first the Motley family would want there to see it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:28 pm 
Harry Vallence

I own a restaurant in Unley. My next door neighbour was Motleys obstetrician last year when he became a father. Adelaide is a funny place, lots of B grade celebs and aging rock stars float around.

Then Mots came in and had lunch. I was in awe of him and showed him my signed Judd jumper framed (hidden) in my office. He laughed and said to me " we're coming" and "when we win the next one I will bring the whole family to celebrate it!". I laughed back and listened to his explanation of why. He was totally sure that our next gen was going to be ready this year. He was adamant that Murphy, Gibbs and Kruezer were about to declare their arrival.

We then spoke about babies as I have become a father lately myself, and we both had the same obstetrician. He has a humor and glow seldom seen in a person. I feel humbled to have watched him play and then to meet such a champion of life.

I barrack for Norwood over here, in 84 and 85 Mötley was superb. It is a tragedy we didn't get to see him post accident. However his ability to confront his disability and tame it is incredible.

When Carlton win the next flag, it will be even more special than just number 17 to me. Meeting Mots and knowing that he will com and celebrate it with me is bloody awesome.

Go Bluebaggers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:37 am 
Harry Vallence

I am convinced Motley would have been at least the equal of Kernas and Braddles had it not been for that terrible accident.

He had a slower start in the VFL but was just beginning to show what he could do.

I remember a Tuesday night state game when he was impasssable, taking 16 or 17 marks across half-back for SA (may have been the same night Kerna kicked 9 (?)).

Please people, when driving keep i mind what a split-second decision can do to dramatically change or destroy or end a life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:55 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Awesome idea. We should all just write letters to Sticks.

I live in Sydney and still remember reading about that accident in the paper. I was 15 years old and had only seen him play a couple of weeks earlier up here against Sydney and it is amazing to watch that vision and think of what Carlton lost as a player that night. But in reality what his family and friends gained because not many would have survived that.

It'd make a good movie actually the whole 1987 season would make a good movie. Mots, Dessie, Sticks kick after the siren to secure top spot, Bernie Evans suspension getting to hear Sticks singing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:06 pm 
Rod Ashman

Thanks Camel for posting the video. I cant believe it is coming up to 25 years since the accident.

I must admit I had goose bumps when the banner went up at the game after his accident.

On a lighter note, I had a little chuckle when it was mentioned in the video Sydney were in the box seat to sign Mots.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:43 pm 
Rod Ashman

As Liam said, the selfish instinct makes us regret the loss of a superstar in the making, a la James Hiird, but far more importantly, it's wonderful to see a family work so well together.

Thanks Camelboy for reminding us of a great story.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

Peters younger brother, Brett, lives in Darwin – he is in the family photo (back right) in the last minute or so of the story.

I had a couple of beers with Brett while we watched the Collingwood game and he told me few details about the crash when we were talking during the half time break. Co-incidentally this was before Camelboy posted this thread. What Brett said is consistent with what was described by Craig Bradley and Paul Meldrum. I am not sure if he has seen this show, so will have to ask him next time I see him. But I imagine it might be painful for him to watch it.

Brett is a mad Carlton fan and enjoyed our recent win against the Pies as much as anyone I have seen.

Isn't it amazing that where ever you go in Australia you find a Carlton connection somewhere - in my case it is usually at the bar. :beer: :beer: :beer:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

NTBlue wrote:
Isn't it amazing that where ever you go in Australia you find a Carlton connection somewhere - in my case it is usually at the bar. :beer: :beer: :beer:

In SA, it's usually down to Mots, Braddles, Sticks & Nales going over in the 80's that people swung South Australians over to them.

Hell most Sturt people go for the Blues, they had the same AVCO sponsor in the early 80's too :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Just watched this tonight and feel fairly sad really.

My all time favourite player is Wayne Johnston. At the beginning of 87 I was becoming aware that Johnno wasn't going to last forever and that I'd need a new number on the next duffel coat. I was close to growing out of the one I had.

All my other significant players were also aging and I wanted a new hero to see me through the next 10 years or so. I had a 37 (Harmes) above the big 7 (Johnston) on the back with a 9 (Hunter) on one shoulder, 4 (Buzz morphing into Sticks) on the other and a 14 (Ashman) and 16 (Buckley) on the front pockets.

It took a little while to get my head around such a complex decision but in the end it was never going to be anyone but Peter Motley on my next duffel coat.

I remember very clearly waking up and going out to get the paper and reading about the accident the morning after it happened.

I never got another duffel coat. :sad:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I was involved in a similar accident in Mexico a couple of months ago with the family in the car. A drunk lost control and hit us flush on the driver's side between me and my daughter. He then bounced away, hit the car behind us head on, wrote it off flipped, did a one and a half in mid air and landed on his roof near some people seated at a roadside restaurant.

I was driving a Ford/Mercury Grand Marquis. A huge Yank Tank that saved my life and that of my daughter who was sitting behind me. The insurance rep told us that in a lesser car [we also have a Nissan Sentra (Pulsar)], the impact would have gone right through to the passenger side.

I looked at that clip and saw the Nissan 260/280Z and thought how quickly one's life can change. I was 26 when Mots had his accident. I remember it only too well and how sad it was for him and the club. From time to time we hear about him. I had never seen that clip before and I will confess to shedding a tear at the Bruce Doull bit.

His dad comes across as a pretty humble and down to earth bloke and Mots himself looks pretty cheerful after what he has been through. He is one tough bloke.

There but for the grace of God go I.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:49 am 
Bruce Doull

Sounds a bit scary Sombrero, glad you're with us to share the story. :beer: