Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Sky is falling
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:40 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

jimmae wrote:
Jonosc wrote:
We need a like button, well said sugarcane!!
To those that run the website, you should know synbad makes me and others I know come here less.

Short of them pointing a gun ar your head, if you're going to use others as an excuse for your own behaviour, then you probably should re-evaluate your life.

We won't be kicking anyone to the curb if they show a willingness to engage in discussion, so long as they are reasonable and fair in their treatment of others.

Jonosc may be unaware of the foe option

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:08 pm 
Bob Chitty

jimmae wrote:
Jonosc wrote:
To those that run the website, you should know synbad makes me and others I know come here less.

Short of them pointing a gun ar your head, if you're going to use others as an excuse for your own behaviour, then you probably should re-evaluate your life.

We won't be kicking anyone to the curb if they show a willingness to engage in discussion, so long as they are reasonable and fair in their treatment of others.

That's a ridulous comment Jimmae. People make decisions about their own behaviour/actions, as a result of others behaviours, all of the time. If I go to a party & their is a dill mouthing off, speaking rubbish, talking over people, trying to be centre of attention, I will walk away & interact with people I actually like & respect.

Pull your head in!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:43 am 
Bruce Doull

Personally i just think alot of posters are soft!
Football is emotion whether youre playing it or watching it.
Some really dreary... vanilla types !!!

At the end of the day... footy is nothing without emotion!!!....

Alot of what i imagine are grown ups ... crying and screaming over and on footy forum.
Catn they just ignore??? Or dont have that in them .. they need everything sterilised for them???

Laughable!!!

Just more respect to guys like Dane.. over the sookylala ones.

People can click their 'foe' button...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:47 am 
Bruce Doull

Sugarcane wrote:
Synbad wrote:
yes! invalid!
we will see!
important to keep into perspective that last years stats mean nothing this year? that these things are dynamic!
that if we are hoping for superhuman Judd performances forever we are not planning!
to look at stats only is our pitfall!
look at our stats against the teams that beat up on us during the minutes that counted for the outcome!
smashing gold coast doesn't mean lack during finals and either does an injury!
on one hand you use stats to make a point and on the other you use them and saw they understate!

let's just see how we have planned to take the next step!

You're clutching on straws if the foundation of your arguement is 'things can change'. I mean one could use your arguement to say a Hawthorn or Collingwood or Geelong are headed for disaster. More likely is the upward trend seen in the past few years, actually means something.

Judd super human effort?? Last thing I recall he was largely ineffective in the 2 finals in 2011 and we almost made it to the Prelim, and in 2012 Gibbs potentially could step up like MM did in 2011. Again, I think you're arguement is weak, and seems motivated more out of personal reasons, whatever they might be.

How have we planned to take the next step? well, for one we haven't traded too many early picks in recent years, so that tells me the club is courageous enough to keep thinking of the LT. At the same time we have been shrewd is shoring up deficiencies without selling the farm - laidler, duigan are good examples of this.The club's recruiting has been of a very high standard of late. Yes there are a few misses but no club has a 100% hit rate.

To look at stats is a pitfall is it? well I'd sooner use them as a guide than be totally airy fairy like you are.

Look Synbad I think it's important to be open minded about things and not be 100% positive just for the sake of it. I acknowledge the club have some challenges. We wouldn't be fifth best if there weren't some issues and challenges. I acknowledge our midfield need to get nastier to beat Hawthorn. I acknowledge we don't have a gun key fwd like Buddy and Cloke and this could be our downfall. I acknowledge WC have an edge over us in midfield because they have the best ruck combo at the mo and have a couple of clearance experts in Kerr and Priddis. These are in my view our two biggest challenges, along with making sure jamo and Waite and Krooz stay fit. But outside of these challenges, the reality is this team has been very consistent over the last few years, making the finals twice in two years, and the curve has been going upwards, and the list has a lot of room for natural improvement, which on the balance indicates we are going very well. As such I really think your constant negativity in here is out of kilter with reality and is actually tiresome and unecessary. I can only question your mental state, as you seem to be quite a frustrated person. Take a chill pill mate, it's not all that bad. for the first time in a decade a few media experts have tipped us for the Flag. You ought to enjoy it mate, while also being balanced and realistic about the challenges.

Judd was not effective in the 2 finals.
But his presence drags players to him for attention.
This leads to someone else with less attention.

So more effective than YOU give him credit for.
Read the article in todays paper about the attention he gets

Your opinions of footy are way too simplistic.. if you think Judd wasnt effective.
Remember too.. w eplayed the reigning wooden spooners and Essendon*.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:24 am 
Robert Walls

Megaman wrote:
Weekend is here again...and still no premiership

Any more flags yet?

Time won't stand still!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:00 am 
Bruce Doull

lucablue wrote:
jimmae wrote:
Jonosc wrote:

That's a ridulous comment Jimmae. People make decisions about their own behaviour/actions, as a result of others behaviours, all of the time. If I go to a party & their is a dill mouthing off, speaking rubbish, talking over people, trying to be centre of attention, I will walk away & interact with people I actually like & respect.

Pull your head in!!!

So you're comparing walking away from a conversation because you don't like a person, to telling people you won't post here because of someone?

It's not the same thing. You can post here in spite of people you do and don't respect, just the same as you can have another conversation in said party example. The direct example would be refusing to be in the same room as the person. I see that as a question of temperament rather than one of irreconcilable differences.

Anyway, if either of you want to discuss this further, or have genuine cause for concern, please PM myself or another mod.

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:00 am 
formerly Virgin Blue

Another paper thin arguement from talking synbad.
Geez Judd takes pressure off others bec he attracts attention. Geez I didn't know that. Thanks for the A1 lesson in football basics hahahaha
My God am I the only one whose finding coming to tc a waste of time lately? All I see is rants by talking synbad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:29 am 
Craig Bradley

Free speech... frowned upon in this forum, apparently. :sad:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:37 am 
Adrian Gallagher

First time poster long time reader (only signed up yesterday lol).

Synbad offers the extremist views that typically sparks debate. Not to say he is always right, however it is contributions like his, that stir the pot/emotions/debate that makes this forum great. Who cares if he is right or wrong, but to my mind it is certainly better than reading 900 posts from 900 different users that say "carlton are the greatest, we are going to win the flag this year".

No football club is 100% perfect with their formula, some have done it better for sustained periods of time. But, at the end of the day, they rise and fall like history suggests, ebbs and flows. Albeit our club's fluctuations have been at the lower end of the scale for some time now, it fills me with pride that we are maintaining an improvement curve at the moment. So kudos to the board and coaching staff and off course the playing list.

A lot of this can (sorry synbad), be accredited to the recruitment staff and the direction implemented by the board. Do they have the formula right? Time will tell but certainly they are on the right track, because it has been a LONG time since I approached every week with a feeling we could/should win instead of how much we are going to get smashed by. Breeding a winning culture after so long in the football doldrums takes a long time to instill. It takes changes both on the list itself and higher up the management food chain. I firmly believe this started when Pratt came on board because he would not accept the then, status quo.

So as to Synbad's rhetoric about where we are at, good on him for being passionate enough about it to raise the thought processes. Maybe he remembers the feeling I did when our once mighty club could barely string 4 wins together in a year. I certainly don't want to see a return to those days. But one thing is for sure, we should utilise this time with Judd for all it is worth because it will be a time before another of his ilk graces the carlton corridors.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:44 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Blood Believer wrote:
isdonis.george wrote:
Win a premiership and some blokes will be unhappy because there's nothing to be unhappy about :wink:

:lol: :clap:

There is a certain type of personality that will constantly look for flaws to try and makes things better. I don't see all the wankfest that this is necessarily a bad thing? Just different types of people.

But if you thing georgies comment is being smart and witty and is worthy of your clapping emoticon...so be it...you are just a different personality again. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:51 am 
Geoff Southby

Synbad wrote:
Sugarcane wrote:
Synbad wrote:
yes! invalid!
we will see!
important to keep into perspective that last years stats mean nothing this year? that these things are dynamic!
that if we are hoping for superhuman Judd performances forever we are not planning!
to look at stats only is our pitfall!
look at our stats against the teams that beat up on us during the minutes that counted for the outcome!
smashing gold coast doesn't mean lack during finals and either does an injury!
on one hand you use stats to make a point and on the other you use them and saw they understate!

let's just see how we have planned to take the next step!

You're clutching on straws if the foundation of your arguement is 'things can change'. I mean one could use your arguement to say a Hawthorn or Collingwood or Geelong are headed for disaster. More likely is the upward trend seen in the past few years, actually means something.

Judd super human effort?? Last thing I recall he was largely ineffective in the 2 finals in 2011 and we almost made it to the Prelim, and in 2012 Gibbs potentially could step up like MM did in 2011. Again, I think you're arguement is weak, and seems motivated more out of personal reasons, whatever they might be.

How have we planned to take the next step? well, for one we haven't traded too many early picks in recent years, so that tells me the club is courageous enough to keep thinking of the LT. At the same time we have been shrewd is shoring up deficiencies without selling the farm - laidler, duigan are good examples of this.The club's recruiting has been of a very high standard of late. Yes there are a few misses but no club has a 100% hit rate.

To look at stats is a pitfall is it? well I'd sooner use them as a guide than be totally airy fairy like you are.

Look Synbad I think it's important to be open minded about things and not be 100% positive just for the sake of it. I acknowledge the club have some challenges. We wouldn't be fifth best if there weren't some issues and challenges. I acknowledge our midfield need to get nastier to beat Hawthorn. I acknowledge we don't have a gun key fwd like Buddy and Cloke and this could be our downfall. I acknowledge WC have an edge over us in midfield because they have the best ruck combo at the mo and have a couple of clearance experts in Kerr and Priddis. These are in my view our two biggest challenges, along with making sure jamo and Waite and Krooz stay fit. But outside of these challenges, the reality is this team has been very consistent over the last few years, making the finals twice in two years, and the curve has been going upwards, and the list has a lot of room for natural improvement, which on the balance indicates we are going very well. As such I really think your constant negativity in here is out of kilter with reality and is actually tiresome and unecessary. I can only question your mental state, as you seem to be quite a frustrated person. Take a chill pill mate, it's not all that bad. for the first time in a decade a few media experts have tipped us for the Flag. You ought to enjoy it mate, while also being balanced and realistic about the challenges.

Judd was not effective in the 2 finals.
But his presence drags players to him for attention.
This leads to someone else with less attention.

So more effective than YOU give him credit for.
Read the article in todays paper about the attention he gets

Your opinions of footy are way too simplistic.. if you think Judd wasnt effective.
Remember too.. w eplayed the reigning wooden spooners and Essendon*.

But your point was expecting him to keep playing at super human levels, which he clearly wasn't in the last month of the season and we still almost made a prelim.

Also your argument of last season meaning nothing and everything changes, is in contrast to your constant mentioning of West Coast as the previous years wooden spooners.

What is it you expect us to be doing which we are not? If we win the flag this year it seems you will claim its what we should be doing with Juddy and 3 number 1 picks and anything less is an unmitigated disaster.

I would consider it a failure if we don't win at least one flag before the end of 2015, but the progress we have made thus far seems right on track. We are always nervous of what the future will bring because it hasn't arrived. Baring catastrophic injuries we should at least make top 4 this year and be in a prelim, if we don't do that I will join Synbad in demanding answers as to why.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:58 am 
Bruce Doull

Hornet wrote:
Free speech... frowned upon in this forum, apparently. :sad:

What?! Everyone here is getting a say. Disagreeing with someone doesn't wipe your comments off the record.

TrueBluePete wrote:

Synbad offers the extremist views that typically sparks debate. Not to say he is always right, however it is contributions like his, that stir the pot/emotions/debate that makes this forum great. Who cares if he is right or wrong, but to my mind it is certainly better than reading 900 posts from 900 different users that say "carlton are the greatest, we are going to win the flag this year".

No football club is 100% perfect with their formula, some have done it better for sustained periods of time. But, at the end of the day, they rise and fall like history suggests, ebbs and flows. Albeit our club's fluctuations have been at the lower end of the scale for some time now, it fills me with pride that we are maintaining an improvement curve at the moment. So kudos to the board and coaching staff and off course the playing list.

A lot of this can (sorry synbad), be accredited to the recruitment staff and the direction implemented by the board. Do they have the formula right? Time will tell but certainly they are on the right track, because it has been a LONG time since I approached every week with a feeling we could/should win instead of how much we are going to get smashed by. Breeding a winning culture after so long in the football doldrums takes a long time to instill. It takes changes both on the list itself and higher up the management food chain. I firmly believe this started when Pratt came on board because he would not accept the then, status quo.

So as to Synbad's rhetoric about where we are at, good on him for being passionate enough about it to raise the thought processes. Maybe he remembers the feeling I did when our once mighty club could barely string 4 wins together in a year. I certainly don't want to see a return to those days. But one thing is for sure, we should utilise this time with Judd for all it is worth because it will be a time before another of his ilk graces the carlton corridors.

Great first post, and a somewhat brave one. Welcome to the fold. :thumbsup:

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:26 pm 
Ken Hunter

Bluey44 wrote:
Megaman wrote:
Weekend is here again...and still no premiership

Any more flags yet?

Time won't stand still!!!!!

Yep, time for another review this week

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

TrueBluePete wrote:

Welcome Pete, any relation to Brad?
:wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:38 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Synbad, Westcoast were a pretty good side last year. A nice draw and a final on their home ground. Good on them for their tanking and the luck/unlucky run they had before last year. Where they finished the year before last means nothing.
You keep bringing it up that they were spooners the year before to prove a point in your argument but you know as well as I do that is plain silly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:34 pm 
Bob Chitty

Sugarcane wrote:
Another paper thin arguement from talking synbad.
Geez Judd takes pressure off others bec he attracts attention. Geez I didn't know that. Thanks for the A1 lesson in football basics hahahaha
My God am I the only one whose finding coming to tc a waste of time lately? All I see is rants by talking synbad

No you're not alone. I use to come here and engage in football discussion. TC was my home page & I'd spend a couple of hours every day, every week, every year. Now, I'm lucky to drop in for a few minutes a week. And you don't have to be blind freddy to work out why. Most threads are high-jacked, & it gets really boring reading the same stuff, getting posted into multiple threads.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:44 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

More of these!!!!

No point can ever be made without these!!

You're all mad if you think anything said is valid if it ends like this.

It must end like this!!!

Even the.......................dots can't compete!

Mental!

Lalaland!!

Hooray!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:35 am 
Ken Hunter

!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:47 pm 
Bruce Doull

For all the doom and gloom i just did a ladder predictor for the hell of it

Hawks
Blues
Cats
Eagles
---------
Pies
Crows
Dockers
Tigers
----------------------
Swans
Kangas
Saints
Bombers
Dogs
Lions
Demons
Power
Suns
Giants

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:50 pm 
Bruce Doull

oh and

Week 1

Hawks v Eagles - Hawks Win
Blues v Cats - Blues Win
Pies v Tigers - Pies Win
Crows v Dockers - Crows Win

Week 2

Eagles v Pies - Eagles Win
Cats v Crows - Cats Win

Week 3

Hawks v Cats - Cats Win
Blues v Eagles - Blues Win

GF

Blues v Cats

BLUES WIN !

SKY HAS NOT FALLEN !

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next