Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Filthy Lucre
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:26 am 
Stephen Silvagni

JohnM wrote:
dane wrote:
Blueboy_Dan wrote:
Once again blame everything but the people who become addicted to pokies.....

:thumbsup:

Having a black & white viewpoint on this is dangerously simplistic.

Obviously it's a complex issue, and blame (or perhaps responsibility is a better term) can be apportioned across all groups:

Governments have to take much of the blame for allowing pokie numbers to escalate so rapidly.
Owners of machines have to accept that in the chase for profits, they are actually preying on the most vulnerable members of society.
And gamblers should exercise greater self-control, and take more responsibility for their own actions. But not so easy when you are emotionally vulnerable and presented with a 'leisure' activity that is at once very addictive and very harmful.

For me, this is a classic example of what happens when you get a failure of genuine leadership at a Government level. These people are elected to create sensible policy that serves the greater good... and in the State of Victoria, successive Governments from Kirner to Kennett to Bracks to Brumby have failed to do so in this instance.

Either through a lack of understanding, a lack of will, actual malicious intent or sheer incompetence they've allowed pokies to gain a very large hold over the State finances, over our pub culture, and over the lives of the economically vulnerable.

You can't expect Carlton Football Club or Woolworths or the guy who owns the pub to willingly give up an easy profit stream that is perfectly legal: that's why we have Governments, who can enact policies, and regulate these things for the good of all - businesses, individuals and the Government coffers.

It's a failure of Governance, pure and simple.

Well as I said above the current federal government together with 2 independents ARE about to DO SOMETHING by putting forward new legislation so let's show some initiative and get on the front foot and promote ourselves as an organisation, that while profiting from pokies, we do it with a sense of social responsibility and support it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:46 am 
Stephen Kernahan

i don't think that Carlton FC should be promoting proposed legistlation. It's not our place until it becomes law.
I'm happy for the club to participate in responsible gambling initiatives but I'm not sure it's our role to be leading the anti-pokies brigade.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:36 pm 
John James

The bottom line is that pokies are preying on the weak. There is no way this can be justified. It's a greedy and selfish act. Three things you can do...

1. Do nothing
2. Support it
3. Go against it

Carlton could easily just have said no. If they don't want to work hard for that extra money they need or want then they don't deserve it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:56 am 
Geoff Southby

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/carlt ... 1b73t.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:04 am 
Ken Hunter

So neither Carlton nor Bruce M know that Carlton is buying 30 pokie machine licenses :confused: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:10 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Surely there are other ways to increase revenue ? *sigh*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:56 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:

Sure. But none of them are this easy.

Screw it. It's the Government's job to limit the number of poker machines. If they won't do what's right for the people they're elected to represent, why should a professional sporting organisation be expected to do their job for them?

While the Government is happy to have pokies, I'd rather football clubs got the revenue from them than Woolworths or James Packer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:15 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

JohnM wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Screw it. It's the Government's job to limit the number of poker machines. If they won't do what's right for the people they're elected to represent, why should a professional sporting organisation be expected to do their job for them?

While the Government is happy to have pokies, I'd rather football clubs got the revenue from them than Woolworths or James Packer.

I suppose everyone has a degree of social conscience in them, some more than others.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:36 pm 
Rod Ashman

While we're at it, let's also slam the AFL for serving alcohol at their matches and a few of the clubs (including our own) for having piss companies as sponsors. It is a serious addiction, tears families apart, and kills several people per year. :roll:

"GIBBS."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:07 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... 190919.htm

So, given that a vast majority of Australians are in favour of pokie reform and the likelyhood of reform measures being legislated, I wonder how this might project on our financial situation in the future given our current large debt ?

Instead of taking the easy route out of debt, we (hopefully) may be forced to find other more socially responsible forms of revenue raising. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:52 am 
Stephen Kernahan

http://www.theage.com.au/national/kenne ... 1doyk.html

Quote:
According to modelling by Clubs Australia, Hawthorn would have to spend $1.125 million to upgrade its 75 machines to adopt a mandatory pre-commitment system. It found the Western Bulldogs would have to spend about $2.85 million on its 190 machines, while Carlton would face a bill of $4.35 million for 290 machines.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:46 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Good find Effes :thumbsup:

If that figure is correct, it could set back our debt reduction program.

The board needs to get on its skates and find alternative (and more socially responsible) revenue sources QUICKLY !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:51 am 
Adrian Gallagher

So, North Melbourne have sat out of these pokie feasts enjoyed by all other clubs for reasons of conscience? Is that right?

Huge respect to North if so.

Post subject: Filthy Lucre
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:32 pm 
Bruce Doull

Guys this isn't a political thread. If you want to talk about such matters, find or start a thread in TalkingStuff. Obviously there is a political flavour to all of this, but it relates back to the social responsibilities of Carlton, and the effect of incoming and floated policies to the club's revenue.

If anyone wants to continue down this line of discussion in this thread, I'll just split out the posts and make the thread in TalkingStuff for you, and you won't be in my good graces. Your choice.

Remember, it's about pokies AND the club. :)

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:10 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

stroby1 wrote:
So, North Melbourne have sat out of these pokie feasts enjoyed by all other clubs for reasons of conscience? Is that right?

Huge respect to North if so.

They are sponsored by Roobet.com.au. They have sold their membership database to a betting agency who hassle their members to open an account.

Same shit different smell.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sorry.
For some silly reason I thought that Wilkie's politics were going to cost the club money. That's the important bit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

jimmae wrote:
Guys this isn't a political thread. If you want to talk about policy matters, find or start a thread in TalkingStuff. Obviously there is a political flavour to all of this, but it relates back to the social responsibilities of Carlton, and the effect of incoming and floated policies to the club's revenue.

If anyone wants to continue down this line of discussion in this thread, I'll just split out the posts and make the thread in TalkingStuff for you, and you won't be in my good graces. Your choice.

Remember, it's about pokies AND the club. :)

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:27 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news ... 1kr99.html
Quote:
During grand final week the AFL and NRL are planning to run television advertisements against mandatory pre-commitment technology for high-intensity pokies.

Disgusted by this.

Shame on the AFL and shame on Carlton if they're involved.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:33 pm 
Craig Bradley

Oddly Carlton wasn't included in the reporting but Eddie everywhere was fron and centre

L.M 35-06

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:28 pm 
Trevor Keogh

JohnM wrote:
Rexy wrote:

:thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next