Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Filthy Lucre
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:33 am 
Bruce Doull

Only Carlton...does...err...whatever we're being accused of now

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:30 pm 
Bert Deacon

Steve_C7 wrote:
Personally I hate Pokies, but I am sick to death of the nanny state mentality of our governments and that of some posters on this site. I am happy that the club didn't take the so called moral high ground and made an astute investment that will provide much needed funds that is not linked with how well our team is performing.

Money from this investment will provide base load income and will give a degree of certainty to football programs that may have not been funded through normal cashflow generation. And I agree to a point that Pokies are scourge on society, but it is the volume of machines that I have a problem with, not the machine itself.

Everything is fine in moderation, with the exception of drugs and cigarettes and so I respect peoples right to eat junk food, have a drink, play the occasional game on pokies, bet on the odd horse race, pay for pleasure and swim in the nude if that's what makes them happy. We do live in a free country don't we? :confused:

I for one didn't say send them back Steve. That though is my cross to bear, as I really do loathe the things, but if it helps Carlton it seems that my beliefs can be compromised :oops: Morally corrupt I am :wink:

How come you can have exceptions anyway and people who hate pokies can't? :lol: You could argue most things in moderation are fine, including that drug alcohol. Not that I haven't had a few in my time. :grin:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:48 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Pokies addiction blamed for young mum's death

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 040912.htm

With Carltons rapidly growing reliance on pokie revenue for sustainability I hope the club would be socially responsible in publicly supporting upcoming legislation by the Federal Government, Andrew Wilkie (Fed. member for Dennison) and Senator Nick Xenophon to implement tighter controls on the use of pokies by the public.
Let's get on the front foot and lead as one of Australia's most famous sporting clubs in make a positive statement of goodwill.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:52 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Remove Carlton and add all AFL clubs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:56 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

woof wrote:
Remove Carlton and add all AFL clubs.

We're reportedly set to be the leader of the pack in terms of pokie revenue so lets LEAD by example.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Makes much more of an impact if the AFL lead this in conjuction with the 16 AFL clubs.
The Pies pokie revenue is about 23million which is two thirds of Carltons total turnover.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:57 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

woof wrote:
Makes much more of an impact if the AFL lead this in conjuction with the 16 AFL clubs.
The Pies pokie revenue is about 23million which is two thirds of Carltons total turnover.

Yes, that would make a tremendous statement no doubt, which is the ultimate aim.

In the mean time, Carlton has an opportunity to promote it's brand in a majorly positive way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I hate pokies, but I remember the days when Victoria had none and the Victorian pokie players DID travel to the border and played in NSW which wasn't too far away.

Back then, I just couldn't believe how rich clubs in Albury (llke Lavington), and on the other side at Merimbula (Sharks) were in comparison to big Melbourne based clubs.

So, if they are going to ban pokies, they have to ban them Australia wide, otherwise they are a fact of life.

I still hate them, but glad that my team is enjoying the benefits from these licenses, rather than falling behind other teams who have them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

oops double post

I still hate pokies. I just wish I owned a few licenses.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:04 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

bondiblue wrote:
I hate pokies, but I remember the days when Victoria had none and the Victorian pokie players DID travel to the border and played in NSW which wasn't too far away.

Back then, I just couldn't believe how rich clubs in Albury (llke Lavington), and on the other side at Merimbula (Sharks) were in comparison to big Melbourne based clubs.

So, if they are going to ban pokies, they have to ban them Australia wide, otherwise they are a fact of life.

I still hate them, but glad that my team is enjoying the benefits from these licenses, rather than falling behind other teams who have them.

Don't have to ban them, just have to apply some ethical controls.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:04 pm 
Trevor Keogh

POKIES ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

I hate the AFL's reliance on Gambling. Can't listen or watch a footy game coverage without the odds being mentioned. @#$%&! I hate that.

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:24 pm 
Bruce Doull

bluechucky wrote:
I hate the AFL's reliance on Gambling. Can't listen or watch a footy game coverage without the odds being mentioned. !@#$%& I hate that.

Agreed. I also think it's a bad look having clubs sponsored by gambling agencies.

On the other hand, is it any worse than having clubs supported by alcohol companies?

:|

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

Once again blame everything but the people who become addicted to pokies.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

What ^ said.............

some self %$#@ING control people............!

i love the punt as much as anybody..........but to drop
ya wage packet in a sitting and then go hungry.........?

soft.........!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:30 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Blueboy_Dan wrote:

We've all needed a bit of help and guidance at times to stay out of trouble, Dan. Humans are far from perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:53 am 
Harry Vallence

bluechucky wrote:
I hate the AFL's reliance on Gambling. Can't listen or watch a footy game coverage without the odds being mentioned. !@#$%& I hate that.

No it's not gambling thats the problem with game coverage, but the dumb a$$ idiots who are now broadcasting it and their insatiable appetite for stats, and gambling odds are just another useless stat that they can spew out whilst having no idea of what is acctually happening in the game!

Rant Over :mad:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:39 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blueboy_Dan wrote:

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:48 am 
Rod McGregor

Pokies should have been introduced into sporting clubs only, with restrictions on the number of pokies. We would now have local sporting clubs like the Leagues clubs used to be in NSW, with profits going back to the members to provide sporting facilities, entertainment, and cheap and reasonable food.
Instead we now have pubs full of pokies, less and less music venues, paying pub high food prices, and the pokies controlled by the greedy few.
Thanks Joan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:08 am 
Geoff Southby

dane wrote:
Blueboy_Dan wrote:

:thumbsup:

Having a black & white viewpoint on this is dangerously simplistic.

Obviously it's a complex issue, and blame (or perhaps responsibility is a better term) can be apportioned across all groups:

Governments have to take much of the blame for allowing pokie numbers to escalate so rapidly.
Owners of machines have to accept that in the chase for profits, they are actually preying on the most vulnerable members of society.
And gamblers should exercise greater self-control, and take more responsibility for their own actions. But not so easy when you are emotionally vulnerable and presented with a 'leisure' activity that is at once very addictive and very harmful.

For me, this is a classic example of what happens when you get a failure of genuine leadership at a Government level. These people are elected to create sensible policy that serves the greater good... and in the State of Victoria, successive Governments from Kirner to Kennett to Bracks to Brumby have failed to do so in this instance.

Either through a lack of understanding, a lack of will, actual malicious intent or sheer incompetence they've allowed pokies to gain a very large hold over the State finances, over our pub culture, and over the lives of the economically vulnerable.

You can't expect Carlton Football Club or Woolworths or the guy who owns the pub to willingly give up an easy profit stream that is perfectly legal: that's why we have Governments, who can enact policies, and regulate these things for the good of all - businesses, individuals and the Government coffers.

It's a failure of Governance, pure and simple.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next