Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:59 am 
Serge Silvagni

Ratts just scraped through this year for mine.

good effort considering the heartless and pathetic efforts that were put in during the course of the year but most likely than not we will be playing finals and hopefully we will win one.

Next season will be interesting because the expectations have gone up.... way up..... top four and nothing less.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:19 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I'd hope the board dont ride the highs and lows like many of the members.
Making decisions on a game or a small block of games serves little purpose. As far as I'm concerned, the proof is in the resilience and capacity of the team over an extended period.
Many of the games we lost, we had our share of the ball early and wasted our opportunities. Unfortunately you have to take advantage when you have the momentum. If you fail to do it, you're leaving yourself exposed.

By the same token, I'm not writing home about Fridays win. IMO, Essendon* had more than enough opportunities to have the lead at 3/4 time. Poor finishing kept them at bay. They couldn't gain any momentum but a couple of those easy opportunties would have made a big difference had they converted.
The most pleasing aspect was the confidence gained in the last quarter. We've been playing without any real confidence for several weeks now so hopefully the players can bank that belief and take advantage of it. Anyone who's involved in sport realises the value of mental strength and how far confidence can take you.

Conversely, I'm sick of seeing players making stupid decisions when we have momentum. In the 2nd quarter, Waite kicked a goal and Carlton opened up a 32 point lead. Waite then gave away a downfield free for a late tackle. Essendon* went forward and kicked a point. From the kick out AJ took a player high and Essendon* goaled. At the next bounce, Waite fell into a players back and Essendon* went forward again. For the next 10 minutes, Essendon* dominated play and it was only poor finishing that prevented them gaining the ascendency. Yes the Joseph hit was soft but why give the umpire an opportunity to give a free kick? It's selfish and @#$%&! stupid!

Coaches have little control of the players skills or physical capabilities. They can work on them but it's a long term process. Discipline on the other hand is the coaches domain. If a player makes stupid decisions or is undisciplined. Take him off and drop him until he plays for the team. Momentum is crucial to confidence and losing it intentionally is a disgrace. Ratten needs to be harder and less tolerant of undisciplined flower. The longer he tolerates it, the weaker he looks.

Personally, I still dont rate him highly as a senior coach but I'd hope the board will assess his performance at the end of the season, assessing the whole of the season. All aspects of his performance including player development, list development, media performance and most importantly, how he leads the club. Some may not like it but the senior coach leads the club and the club will be judged by his capabilities. Are we competently portrayed?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:53 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I've come full circle on this. If he's got the players behind him 100% - let him finish out his contract. If not, pay him and get on with a new coach (Sanderson?). A coach takes 12 months to bed his own system in, no sense in wasting a year so the board can save face on extending him so early.

But if there's doubt amongst the playing group that he's the right man, then move him on now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:22 pm 
Geoff Southby

Punter22 wrote:
I've come full circle on this. If he's got the players behind him 100% - let him finish out his contract. If not, pay him and get on with a new coach (Sanderson?). A coach takes 12 months to bed his own system in, no sense in wasting a year so the board can save face on extending him so early.

But if there's doubt amongst the playing group that he's the right man, then move him on now.

You are kidding arent you Punter.The players to determine Ratts fate ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:42 pm 
Rod Ashman

Mickstar wrote:
Punter22 wrote:

If the players don't believe in their coach then they wont get very far at all. After Friday night I don't think this is the case so it doesn't really matter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:21 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Mickstar wrote:
Punter22 wrote:

Sorry Mickstar, poorly worded perhaps. I'm not suggesting the players should make the call on him. But if he's 'lost' the group, then I'm suggesting the board will need to make the call.

For example, I would pin around 85% of the Collingwood debacle on the players. Whether or not there's a plan in place shouldn't have an influence on non-negotiables, like appetite for contesting. That should be a given. But if the players don't believe in his message, then it's a lot easier turning over one coach than 10-15- or however many players aren't signing up to what he's preaching. Not fair perhaps, but this game isn't fair.