Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: AFLW 2022 Part 2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:55 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

If we're going to be garbage, it's a bit easier to handle when Richmond and the Pies have been eliminated as well.

Post subject: AFLW 2022 Part 2
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Carlton announced AFLW review.

Bye bye Hartford it was a pleasure

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:20 am 
Bruce Doull

Overdue.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:48 am 
Geoff Southby

Yep, a real stench about the program the past few years.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:55 am 
Geoff Southby

Lowey_47 wrote:

For me this is more of an AFL issue.
Too many clubs too soon and too little talent.
We seen how bad it was for the mens comp yet they though it would be different for the AFLW.
What's the saying....
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sydney Blue wrote:
Carlton announced AFLW review.

Bye bye Hartford it was a pleasure

He might get the bullet like Jeff Gartlett

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:47 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sidefx wrote:
Lowey_47 wrote:

For me this is more of an AFL issue.
Too many clubs too soon and too little talent.
We seen how bad it was for the mens comp yet they though it would be different for the AFLW.
What's the saying....
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

To be fair they’ve only done it “over” rather than “over and over”… :lol:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:29 pm 
Robert Walls

I'm sure my fellow members got this tonight:

Dear **,

As we embark on a new year for the football club, I wanted to provide you with an important update relating to our AFLW program.

The Club has today finalised the key outcomes of the independent review into the program and we are now in a position to share these findings with you.

As a club, we have a responsibility to our members to ensure we are constantly identifying pathways and drivers to high performance that lead to on and off-field success. We each have a role to play in being accountable for delivering this, and it starts from the Board down.

That is why we commissioned this review, led by Errol Amerasekera, Director of Bluestone Edge Consulting, to ultimately improve performance across our entire AFLW program. As mentioned in December, our AFLW program experienced a big 2022, playing an unprecedented two seasons in the one year.

Clearly though, those seasons didn't produce the on-field results we were hoping for and as a Board, we have a responsibility to be proactive to ensure we explore all avenues for improvement.

As such, the Board instigated an independent review of the Club’s AFLW program, with the main intent to identify barriers to on-field success, ensure we are set up to not only improve the overall performance of the team but establish ourselves for the long-term as the competition evolves, and to develop and implement recommendations to help create the foundations for future success.

Having met with our Board of Directors and receiving a full briefing of the report, it was evident through the findings that in order for us as a club to achieve our objective of this review, changes within the AFLW football program were required, including the Senior Coach position.

Review findings

The review has found that there are some key barriers to success, relating to systems, culture, coaching structures and insufficient leadership to support and drive professionalism and elite behaviours.

One of the key findings of the review related to the undisputed need for the Senior Coach position to be full-time. Based on this requirement, as well as a number of key findings in relation to the performance of the program, the Club is now able to confirm that the decision has been made to part ways with AFLW Senior Coach Daniel Harford, who is unable to service the role in a full-time capacity.

On behalf of the Board and entire football club, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank Daniel for his commitment over the past five seasons and for the contribution he has made to our football club, including an inaugural Grand Final appearance in 2019.

We are proud of many areas of growth and achievements we have gained with our AFLW program, from being an inaugural team in the competition, to seeing the game develop through expansion, and cementing IKON Park as the home of AFLW through our genuine investment and commitment to the program.

However, as a club and as a competition, we must keep evolving and lifting the standards of our program, in line with the elite, high-performance environment we are establishing across every level of the football club, to help us achieve sustained success.

Key review findings

In general, the review found that there are foundations in place for a successful AFLW program, noting program resources and facilities were identified as state-of-the-art. The review identified specific opportunities for functional and cultural integration of the AFL and AFLW programs.

In summary, the review also found:

Whilst staff were found to be of strong character, of integrity and passionate about football, there is a requirement for stronger leadership across key positions within the program, with a key requirement of this being for the Senior Coach position to be full-time.

At times confusion with the game plan and lack of alignment and consistency with its implementation.

Opportunity exists in the current AFLW environment for players to improve professional standards and elite behaviours, to build and maintain an effective, high-performance culture.

A strong need to foster an environment that supports the ability to provide and receive constructive feedback with a developmental focus.

A clear vision for the AFLW program is required, containing a definitive direction and goal for the program across the immediate, short and long term.

Our Board and CEO Brian Cook will now work with the key leaders of our football department and management to deliver the key areas of improvement outlined above.

It is the responsibility of everyone in our football department, players, coaches and staff, led by the Board, to make these necessary improvements to ensure the Carlton Football Club remains focused on achieving our ultimate, long-term goal – winning premierships.

That is the challenge that lies ahead for us. The expectation and accountability within our AFLW program has risen, make no mistake about that. We are not going to wait to become better, we need to get better, and get better now.

We will continue to work through the recommendations provided, with our priority being the recruitment of a new, full-time AFLW Senior Coach. Further details relating to this process will be communicated in due course.

Kind regards,

Luke Sayers
President

Member ID: 2908822

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:13 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Not a big surprise. The game plan this season was changing from quarter to quarter let alone game to game.
No consistency of how we wanted to play the game and I suspect at times the coach was feeling as overwhelmed as the players would have been.
A good decision for all involved IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

You wonder why they even bother going through this review process you know what the outcome is going to be.
Far simpler to just say coach is shit so we are sacking him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:34 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Something had to give... Game day coaching was bizarre... God knows what prep or instructions were happening in the background... (but the exodus gives us a clue)

Go Blues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:36 am 
Bert Deacon

Brett Munro gone too
https://www.womens.afl/news/118226

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:09 am 
Rod Ashman

billc3 wrote:
Something had to give... Game day coaching was bizarre... God knows what prep or instructions were happening in the background... (but the exodus gives us a clue)

Go Blues

Part-time senior coach in an "elite" semi-professional sporting environment just doesn't go!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:19 pm 
Ken Hunter

Considering he couldn't even select a shirt that fits him...

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

I find this new access allowed by the expansion clubs quite unsatisfactory. These clubs either didn't want to participate until now or their tender was not successful and now get two bites at the cherry of raiding players.

I get that the original clubs got an opportunity to build the playing list up quite well but that should be the reward for getting in on the ground floor.

Essenbogan finished above Carlton but get the opportunity to raid another player (that is of course if there is anyone left raiding, tee hee). Bizarre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Lowey_47 wrote:
I find this new access allowed by the expansion clubs quite unsatisfactory. These clubs either didn't want to participate until now or their tender was not successful and now get two bites at the cherry of raiding players.

I get that the original clubs got an opportunity to build the playing list up quite well but that should be the reward for getting in on the ground floor.

Essenbogan finished above Carlton but get the opportunity to raid another player (that is of course if there is anyone left raiding, tee hee). Bizarre

Agree

https://www.womens.afl/news/118429?_ga=2.221259935.620405515.1677572549-1199403056.1636283393

Quote:
SYDNEY has scored another Priority Signing Period coup, landing Carlton defender Lucy McEvoy.

Womens.afl understands the 21-year-old has committed to the Swans, informing the Blues of her decision on Monday.

The former No.2 draft pick has played 33 games for Carlton over four seasons, and while she settled into a role behind the footy last year, is also capable of running through the midfield or up forward.

So we ended up on bottom of ladder and was awarded the first pick in the draft. Effebdopes join AFLW and take our No 1 pick Petrakis . Effendopesend up higher on the ladder. What was the compensation to us for in the first place?

We end up 2nd last and are awarded the 2nd pick of the draft to help us along, from a long position, and now we read Sydney get first dibs of McEvoy and no compensation.

The AFL have gone mad. They will do anything to keep us down and kick us down. :mad:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:21 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
Lowey_47 wrote:

Agree

https://www.womens.afl/news/118429?_ga=2.221259935.620405515.1677572549-1199403056.1636283393

Quote:
SYDNEY has scored another Priority Signing Period coup, landing Carlton defender Lucy McEvoy.

Womens.afl understands the 21-year-old has committed to the Swans, informing the Blues of her decision on Monday.

The former No.2 draft pick has played 33 games for Carlton over four seasons, and while she settled into a role behind the footy last year, is also capable of running through the midfield or up forward.

So we ended up on bottom of ladder and was awarded the first pick in the draft. Effebdopes join AFLW and take our No 1 pick Petrakis . Effendopesend up higher on the ladder. What was the compensation to us for in the first place?

We end up 2nd last and are awarded the 2nd pick of the draft to help us along, from a long position, and now we read Sydney get first dibs of McEvoy and no compensation.

The AFL have gone mad. They will do anything to keep us down and kick us down. :mad:

The roll out of the competition is a shambles.
You have to wonder what the point was of being one of the foundation clubs.
Every year we have had our good players taken by the new clubs.
It is a joke.