Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:10 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Exactly what I was going to say…

Mort Sahl

Post subject: Future of TC (and Me)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Just take some screenshots of the historic MVPs and get it moving? Does it matter that much in the grand scheme of things?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

It would be a Great move to find a new Server and a new platform as well. This Current one is just so out of touch and not really tech Savy.

We need people who are IT experts and have some sort of experience. As a proud member for more than 20 years, I feel bad that I have never contributed financially to this Site and my blood was boiling when the Forum introduced the idea of donating money to Carlton players who are earning 5 times our wages, even the beginners earn more than the average person. Don't know if this happens here but I really hope we cease to do it.

Moving Forward, I am happy to contribute financially, to the best of my ability to keep this Site up and iam Sure many more Will do the Same. Do not Sacrifice your own money and hard work on your own. We all need to contribute.

Post subject: Future of TC (and Me)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:59 am 
Wayne Johnston

Headplant wrote:
The code changes can all be developed and tested offline on the test/model website .... it can be done using a snapshot of the current database.

I'm unsure at the moment how long the MVP changes will take, but it's feasible that I may be able to get it done before 6 months. Depends if I run into any significant compatibility issues, which I don't really expect. Testing chews up a fair bit of time, because any logic changes in the phpBB3 viewing and posting code need to be reflected in the MVP code, I'm not sure yest if there are any significant program flow changes in the new phpBB3.3.11 . If the MVP changes are not correct, database consistency errors can occur.

The MVP code is mainly contained in 4 php files and a handful of display template files. I tried to keep it as separate as possible, while still maintaining the ability to set up the MVP forum and topics using the same logic flow used in the main forum software.

The trickiest bit is working out whether the dBase upgrade will work correctly with the MVP topics pointing to a set of new polll tables which do not exist in the standard phpBB3 database. Depends whether the Base update routines do any consistency checking.

I know it’s sometimes easier to do it yourself, but let me know if you need help, I’ve worked in IT for 35 years, but not much hands on lately. I’ll do whatever I can.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:32 pm 
Ken Hunter

Yes, thanks Headplant.

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8