Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: AFLW 2022
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:11 am 
Bert Deacon

Whilst disappointing to lose a close one, dead-rubber though it was, I thought it was just about our best defensive pressure game of the season. The tackling, intensity and smothers (particularly) were the best I've seen this season.

The usual customers through the midfield did well, Moody-Hill-Prespakis, but I thought Guerrin was our best mid and probably played the best AFLW game of her career to date. Egan seemed to get a lot of possession but had a miserable time of it, getting caught or coughing it up too often with poor disposal. With no left side, I think the Dees had worked out what she was going to do before she did it.

Backline was extremely solid again Laloifi, Pound and Trudgeon (good job on Harris) all did well. Harrington was pretty relibable too, but I think she struggled a bit with the height and mobility of Bannan (when matched against her) who ended up with 3, crucial in a low-scoring game. Keeping that backline unit together next season is essential in my book.

Stevens was the shining light up forward, even more opportunistic than Vescio (who was pretty quiet). Vescio had little impact on the game overall and missed the chance to give us an unlikely victory when she missed a difficult shot with 30 seconds left. Gee was beaten by Heath convincingly but I thought Good showed enough to persist with as a versatile big.

A decent last month of the season, after a disappointing start, but our middling ladder position accurately reflected a middling team. I hope we don't get ravaged by the expansion clubs during what could be a short off-season, as I think we have a very solid core of good youth to build on if we can keep the majority of the list together.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Our mid field is very thin - and after teams sit on Prespakis, there isn’t a lot else.

McEvoy had had injury concerns but hasn’t really come on - given the wraps she had.

I keep harping on about our lack of fitness and run.

I don’t want to be accused of “fat shaming” but Prespakis isn’t fit enough- she needs to really work on her engine in order to break and run off her tags.

And she really should be taking the lead on this with all of the younger players in the team following her.

:thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

snakehips wrote:
Whilst disappointing to lose a close one, dead-rubber though it was, I thought it was just about our best defensive pressure game of the season. The tackling, intensity and smothers (particularly) were the best I've seen this season.

The usual customers through the midfield did well, Moody-Hill-Prespakis, but I thought Guerrin was our best mid and probably played the best AFLW game of her career to date. Egan seemed to get a lot of possession but had a miserable time of it, getting caught or coughing it up too often with poor disposal. With no left side, I think the Dees had worked out what she was going to do before she did it.

Backline was extremely solid again Laloifi, Pound and Trudgeon (good job on Harris) all did well. Harrington was pretty relibable too, but I think she struggled a bit with the height and mobility of Bannan (when matched against her) who ended up with 3, crucial in a low-scoring game. Keeping that backline unit together next season is essential in my book.

Stevens was the shining light up forward, even more opportunistic than Vescio (who was pretty quiet). Vescio had little impact on the game overall and missed the chance to give us an unlikely victory when she missed a difficult shot with 30 seconds left. Gee was beaten by Heath convincingly but I thought Good showed enough to persist with as a versatile big.

A decent last month of the season, after a disappointing start, but our middling ladder position accurately reflected a middling team. I hope we don't get ravaged by the expansion clubs during what could be a short off-season, as I think we have a very solid core of good youth to build on if we can keep the majority of the list together.

Watched the last game earlier today.

Great summary snakehips

Why the desperation in the last game? What happened in the earlier games, other than the girls having fun?

I feel we need more pace and class in the midfield.

I am very disappointed in McEvoy's output so far. I thought she would form the dynamic duo with Prespakis, but both her and Prespakis are not quick for mids and need to fix that part of their game.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
Our mid field is very thin - and after teams sit on Prespakis, there isn’t a lot else.

McEvoy had had injury concerns but hasn’t really come on - given the wraps she had.

I don’t want to be accused of “fat shaming” but Prespakis isn’t fit enough- she needs to really work on her engine in order to break and run off her tags.

And she really should be taking the lead on this with all of the younger players in the team following her.

Spot on

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:55 am 
Ken Hunter

bluedog wrote:

Vescio opportunistic and not always a whole lot more. Don't think we'll see this player in blue next year.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1084685/vescio-on-to-the-next-one

Looks like I'm wrong again.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:39 pm 
Laurie Kerr

AGRO wrote:

Have you seen the GPS data from that game, or any others? Maddy's numbers were 2nd to Mimi Hill.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:22 am 
Bruce Doull

Our own Kerryn Harrington made the AA team

Well done :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Our Mimi Hill won the Rising Star Award.

Amazing effort given she missed the first 4-5 games this year. Well done Mimi :clap:

Quote:
“I think the All-Australian squad was a massive surprise. I was just sitting at home and got the notification and was like ‘oh, alright. Sick. That’s pretty cool.’

“I think the Rising Star award particularly, it just means so much in terms of I don’t just get to hang out now. I know there’s an expectation now for me to perform and I’m excited to have that.

“I’m going to work harder. It’s nice not to have an injury cloud over me. I just get to do the work that I want to do, so I’m really excited for next season.”

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1096540/what-they-said-hill-to-embrace-rising-star-reputation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:43 pm 
Laurie Kerr

AGRO wrote:

Four years; three Best and Fairests. Very happy if the younger players take her example personally