Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: AFLW 2022
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:44 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
McEvoy tried hard, but as a top draft pick in her 3rd year...I'm waiting for more.

Not continually kicking to the opposition would be a good start

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:30 pm 
Ken Hunter

Gone, again.

Some poor decision making and lack of awareness, but out-skilled as well.

Tried hard though.

I think we led 14-8.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
McEvoy tried hard, but as a top draft pick in her 3rd year...I'm waiting for more.

Kicking skills are still pretty atrocious, could say that about most of the teams admittedly. I'm a footy (and Carlton) tragic, but gee I'm getting frustrated with the skill level generally. The AFLW has been going for a few years now, doesn't seem to be much improvement in standard though. Roll on the next generation.

Post subject: AFLW 2022
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:15 am 
Wayne Johnston

I thought this year was the year that “real” female footballers would emerge who have been through skills pathways since juniors, and they would dramatically drive up skill levels at the national level pushing out all the older less skilled “amateurs”.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:05 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Don’t think our girls are fit enough - particularly Prespakis, I think she has set a poor example to the likes of McEvoy in this regard and the rest of the playing group.

She should be setting the standards to the entire playing group - not coasting on her talent which allowed her to get by in juniors and in her first few seasons of AFLW.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:07 am 
Bert Deacon

Agreed Agro, Prespakis didn't seem to have the energy I recall from her first season and whilst she was never quick, she doesn't seem to be covering the ground quite so well at the mo. Too many (Prespakis, O'Dea, McEvoy, McKay) big, solid, slow moving types going through the midfield. If we don't get first hands on it at the stoppage, defensively we are very slow with our attempt to shutdown the exit from the stoppage and then even slower transitioning to defence to help out. We appeared to be chasing tail all day.

Prespakis was still one of our better players in my view, but nowhere near as dominant as she has been. Harrington was good (aside from that howler that cost us a goal) and Laloifi was solid. Some nice signs from Sherar. Trudgeon did ok too. Reckon we might cop and absolute hiding from the Crows :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:48 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

snakehips wrote:
Prespakis was still one of our better players in my view, but nowhere near as dominant as she has been.

She'll have to learn to deal with a tag. Teams are not going to just let her waltz up to the ball and get away with it. Good teams are going to apply the tag.
She still getting plenty of positions but just not getting too enough contests and being as damaging as she needs to be while she's been blocked away from contests

snakehips wrote:
Harrington was good (aside from that howler that cost us a goal) and Laloifi was solid.
Moody too...

Both outstanding but especially Haz
snakehips wrote:
Some nice signs from Sherar. Trudgeon did ok too.

Yep...
snakehips wrote:
Reckon we might cop and absolute hiding from the Crows :cry:

Definitely. Will be ugly.

We have too many floaters.... Players not doing one thing or another.
Our talls aren't playing talls, nor our quicks playing quick...
Add a lack of structure or strategy... (we switched against Cats, North cut that off... We were gone..... We tried playing sling shot but no one would run through and ahead so we kicked to their defence.... Aaaaarrrggghhh)

Go Blues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

billc3 wrote:
snakehips wrote:
Prespakis was still one of our better players in my view, but nowhere near as dominant as she has been.

She'll have to learn to deal with a tag. Teams are not going to just let her waltz up to the ball and get away with it. Good teams are going to apply the tag.
She still getting plenty of positions but just not getting too enough contests and being as damaging as she needs to be while she's been blocked away from contests

Go Blues

Her main problem is her ability to break away from congestion, she’s not quick, but she’s clearly not fit enough either, after her initial effort to get to the contest, then her effort to win the contest, she’s actually got nothing left to break away from the contest, as a consequence her disposal is often scrappy or spoiled and not to the teams best advantage.

She really needs to work a lot harder in the next preseason to build a better tank and take a lot of the younger ones like McEvoy with her.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:57 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

AGRO wrote:
billc3 wrote:
snakehips wrote:

Go Blues

Her main problem is her ability to break away from congestion, she’s not quick, but she’s clearly not fit enough either, after her initial effort to get to the contest, then her effort to win the contest, she’s actually got nothing left to break away from the contest, as a consequence her disposal is often scrappy or spoiled and not to the teams best advantage.

She really needs to work a lot harder in the next preseason to build a better tank and take a lot of the younger ones like McEvoy with her.
AGRO, Agree too...
Fitness and moving to and away from contests will help her to get into space as well as break the tag.... Let her looss the tag better...

Also (I may have posted previously)... our skill across the board is bad enough that we should be giving it to her when she's free... better user and decision maker...

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:38 pm 
Ken Hunter

Same old, same old.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:40 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Is it still $10 a game to watch at the ground?

On our best days, that’s $2.50 a Carlton goal.

I way up, Bunnings Sausage or Carlton game.

This is utter crap.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:46 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Better effort but poor game sense. Our players have no idea of how to peel off the contest and provide an option. They go to the contest, stand there and handball to each other when they're all under pressure. The other teams have a second effort to peel off and provide outside options.
But looking at the positives, we got old timers like O'Dea and Dal Pos in to reunite the Darebin crew. Too bad they're past it as footballers. But at least they can hang out together and have fun off the field. That's the most important thing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:55 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Time for a Sayers mid season review.

I’ve actually followed the Cats more, as my cousin plays for them. If only she stayed a Blue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Any chance we can stick a tackle?
Putting arms around someone, while they handball/kick to their team mates should not count

Go Blues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:06 pm 
Ken Hunter

billc3 wrote:
Putting arms around someone, while they handball/kick to their team mates should not count

Go Blues

Physically undersized I think, like the AFL team has been for some time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:03 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluedog wrote:
billc3 wrote:

Go Blues

Physically undersized I think, like the AFL team has been for some time.
:thumbsup:
By choice too.... No Loynes, Moody.. Gotten rid of toughness and size for nothing...

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:52 pm 
Ken Hunter

We're pretty good...

at falling over

and fumbling

and missing tackles.

But if you don't have something nice to say...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:26 pm 
Ken Hunter

Two scoreless quarters and a one-pointer won't win you too many games.

Beyond a joke.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The frustration is we've got some top shelf players. Prespakis, Hill, Moody are guns. But players like Wilson, Gee, McEvoy who were showing good signs have gone backwards. Our depth is terrible. I don't understand why we keep going back to the well with players like Brazzale who tries bloody hard but she is a butcher with ball in hand.
Schaap showed a few signs in her only game and was then given the flick. FFS, give the youngsters a go instead of the failed selections.

Nic Stevens had a shocker today. Harrington and Egan weren't much better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:48 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain, I admire you for caring so much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next