Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

Go Blues!

We don't want to lose to this mob at any time, let alone in a 9-round competition.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

Please score a point this season.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:54 pm 
Craig Bradley

About as bad as a team can play. Nearly half time and we have scored nothing while the other mob has 26.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

What else is on TV? :banghead:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

Seems like some bathwater was consumed during lockdown?

EDIT: Came back for a 1-goal loss but the damage was done.

Is another virus spreading through our club?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:05 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Much like our men's team the previous 2 years. Didn't come to play for the start of the season opener. Very disappointing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:20 pm 
Ken Hunter

15 minutes + time on. So they reckon.

Last quarter went for 15:55 or thereabouts, I believe.

Which supposedly included injury time after Lalaifi went down and the doctor came onto the ground.

The timekeeping rules/non-rules help make this competition far more a joke than I want it to be.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:12 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Seemed pleased with themselves when walking off the ground. If they won't take this seriously why should we?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:15 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

rhino27 wrote:
Much like our men's team the previous 2 years. Didn't come to play for the start of the season opener. Very disappointing.
Good summary... They wanted it more... and we were panicking with long kicks to no one
We had the momentum in the second half and a few silly errors cost us....
could have pinched it... But that would probably have been a travesty

Go Blues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:11 am 
Stephen Kernahan

It's great for the coaches to focus on ball movement, game style etc but it's irrelevant really if you don't have the ball. Collingwood wanted it more, they were harder at the ball and better prepared. We had 2 or 3 players going half arsed for the ball when the Pies had one player going harder and feeding it out to their unattended runners on the outside.
After half time we focussed on winning the contested footy but the game was gone.

The standard of footy has improved significantly over the past few years and it is far more watchable. We'll know it's fair dinkum when players efforts are scrutinised like they are in the mens game. We had plenty of weak efforts last night that seem to be acceptable to the commentators and the playing group. Moody going back into a contest with one hand, Gee and numerous other players failing to pick the ball up because of impending contact.
Collingwood embarrassed us in the first half and Harford needs to focus on the fundamentals of footy and what's expected instead of pissing in the players pockets.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:33 am 
Stephen Silvagni

I got home late and only saw the last quarter, which I felt like we were constantly pushing for no result. The miss by Hosking really hurt but even then being 14 points down a win was very remote. Disappointing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:00 am 
Bruce Doull

Collingwood just walked it out of the centre in the first half, our midfield was non-competitive.
Lucky to pull it back to a one goal loss IMO.

Harris frustrates me, her current game consists of crashing packs and little else.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:30 am 
Bert Deacon

I commented to my wife at half time that it'd been about the worst half of football I've seen our women's team play :(

To me our biggest problem, amongst many on the night, was our lack of composure when trying to go forward of centre into our F50. It was woeful, constantly just bombing it in (a whole of club directive perhaps?) with little consideration for where the forwards were or which area might put it to their advantage.

We were very fumbley around the contest, and had too many too close (inside the bubble?) so when we did get it out it just became another contest that the pies could lock down. In contrast the pies were cleaner at the contest and had a ready made spread waiting for the balls release. As BV mentioned we did poorly at defending their spread and they made us look very slow.

As for the short final quarter that bluedog mentioned, it has been a constant bugbear of mine since AFLW's inception. There really is no red-time in these games and coming from behind is a virtual impossibility once you're a few goals down. The final quarter in particular last night seemed ridiculously short. There were no goals until Harrington's on the siren which I guess exacerbated the issue.

Perhaps they did get ahead of themselves somewhat. I guess we'll find out next Friday night.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:38 am 
Stephen Silvagni

They don't hurt when they lose. Whether it's not feeling part of the club or just happy to be playing I'm not sure.

I met 2 players prior to the grand final in 2019. They kept referring to "your team" as in mine. There wasn't any reference to "we"

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:54 am 
Bruce Doull

kingkerna wrote:
They don't hurt when they lose. Whether it's not feeling part of the club or just happy to be playing I'm not sure.

I met 2 players prior to the grand final in 2019. They kept referring to "your team" as in mine. There wasn't any reference to "we"

That's interesting, and a little odd. Wonder if it is the happy to be playing thing, and/or that AFLW is still relatively knew and perhaps the players see it as a transient thing (either because players are coming in and out of other sports, or that there's not a lot of security felt about the league itself)?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:24 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:

The standard of footy has improved significantly over the past few years and it is far more watchable.

That's what I was saying last year, but last night's game was laughable at times.

School-level stuff.

At one point, even the female commentator (who I think is very ordinary) asked the viewers to 'hang in there' (or something similar), so pathetic was the standard of play.