Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: AFLW2021
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

AGRO wrote:
Has Plowman taken Plane under his wing.

:lol:

:thumbsup:

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

I thought they looked slow, especially in defence. Dogs killed us around the packs too. A real lack of composure in the last quarter when the Dogs were there for the taking.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:41 pm 
Bruce Doull

cortez wrote:
I thought they looked slow, especially in defence. Dogs killed us around the packs too. A real lack of composure in the last quarter when the Dogs were there for the taking.

Yep, that last 5 min was so frustrating. Had it forward for most of that time without converting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:47 pm 
Bob Chitty

Another disappointing loss on the back of a period where he opposition got hold of us. Last week 7 or 8 minutes in 2nd quarter coughed up 4 goals to seal our fate. Last night the early part of the last quarter where we coughed up 3 goals to lose a 10 point lead without seeming to get forward of centre at all, then we dominate territory but couldn't get it on the board.

Skill execution and decision making poor and with Pound, Laloifi and (Brooke) Walker hopefully available for the next match there may be some changes in the offing for the next match. The question is who? Harrington stank in week one but was much better last night. Whilst it is a simplistic measure of performance it is notable that our player with the lowest average disposals is Darcy Vescio averaging 5 dispoals (total 10 disposals equal lowest with Laloifi off a single game) and I wonder whether the selectors might make a big call? Others with low disposal counts are Downie, but her strenghth lies in ruckwork rather than ball winning , Hammans (ave 5.5) and Guerin (ave 7.5). Conversely, Downie and Vescio are 1 and 2 in average disposal efficiency and Hammans 4th which might help their causes given disposal quality has been a big issue.

I really struggle to see who else might be in line to be dropped but with 4 quality potention ins there will some some nervous players awaiting the team announcement.

Lastly, my daughter, her partner and I have decided to do a podcast on the Blues AFLW team - anyone interested here is our first effort posted before last night's game. About the only thing I think it proves is my future does not lie in weather forecasting!

https://anchor.fm/lizzie-hone/episodes/ ... KYCS5K-SkI

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

ianh wrote:
Another disappointing loss on the back of a period where he opposition got hold of us. Last week 7 or 8 minutes in 2nd quarter coughed up 4 goals to seal our fate. Last night the early part of the last quarter where we coughed up 3 goals to lose a 10 point lead without seeming to get forward of centre at all, then we dominate territory but couldn't get it on the board.

Skill execution and decision making poor and with Pound, Laloifi and (Brooke) Walker hopefully available for the next match there may be some changes in the offing for the next match. The question is who? Harrington stank in week one but was much better last night. Whilst it is a simplistic measure of performance it is notable that our player with the lowest average disposals is Darcy Vescio averaging 5 dispoals (total 10 disposals equal lowest with Laloifi off a single game) and I wonder whether the selectors might make a big call? Others with low disposal counts are Downie, but her strenghth lies in ruckwork rather than ball winning , Hammans (ave 5.5) and Guerin (ave 7.5). Conversely, Downie and Vescio are 1 and 2 in average disposal efficiency and Hammans 4th which might help their causes given disposal quality has been a big issue.

I really struggle to see who else might be in line to be dropped but with 4 quality potention ins there will some some nervous players awaiting the team announcement.

Lastly, my daughter, her partner and I have decided to do a podcast on the Blues AFLW team - anyone interested here is our first effort posted before last night's game. About the only thing I think it proves is my future does not lie in weather forecasting!

That first paragraph could be a description of any number of our AFL games last year. The Carlton disease?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

cortez wrote:
ianh wrote:

That first paragraph could be a description of any number of our AFL games last year. The Carlton disease?
Agree the similarities are scary....
Also agree, we are getting killed 'out the back' with pace. either some are not following their opponent down or we need some smaller /quicker defenders

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:56 am 
Bert Deacon

ianh wrote:
Excellent summary ianh, couldn't argue with any of what you've written, except for the part I've quoted about struggling to find players to come out next week. I'd start with Downie (no need for the extra tall), then Edwards and Vernon, then I'd have a close look at Hammans and Plane (made several costly mistakes). You touched on Vescio, I find her super frustrating as a player. Clearly has talent/ability in spades, but rarely racks up big possession numbers in a game. Perhaps not a big enough tank to get involved more, perhaps it's just her role, I don't know, but very frustrating nonetheless. Steven has been in a similar boat since moving to the forward line a couple of seasons back, quality when she touches it, but not involved enough. I doubt either of Vescio or Steven would be dropped but you'd have to entertain it if you didn't start getting a bit more from both of them. So whilst I'm sure those two are safe this week, I wouldn't have any trouble finding 3 or 4 to come out assuming the likes of Pound-Laloifi-B.Walker are ready to come in.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:06 pm 
Harry Vallence

Eagan could be dropped for mine. Can't fault the endeavor or attack on the ball, but a shocking kick, gives it straight back time after time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:28 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

After all the optimism and 'spin' during our womens preseason, the 2 performances thus far have virtually snuffed out our momentum, along with my interest in them too.

I will still watch the games with interest, coz I'm rusted on and theres no other footy towatch, but I hate being misled with all the promise.

The girls have gone backwards.
They drink their own bath water.

They have fallen for the same opposition tactics as last year, or, outcoached.
The skills have gone backwards. Can't kick to a team mate, nor handball. WTF!

The game plan is to bomb it forward....ie no plan for connection or run.
What a waste of a preseason.

Strong bodied O'Dea is a good replacement for Brianne Davey (she left end 2019), but we haven't improved on last year. In fact, we've gone backwards.

I'm not sure if we can comment on the weight of women, but these girls are athletes and should be held to account.

Plane has cost goals in both games: too slow, not nimble enough and terrible in one on ones, let alone defense.
She has to be dropped. She has lost a yard or two. Liability.

Really miss the run of the rugby girls, Walker and Dalton.
Walker must be close to a return to the team. Ditto Pound.
Lucy McEvoy can't come back into the team quickly enough.
Laolifi's return will be really good.

Other than a lucky long goal and one big mark, Harris is missing most game, and last week in the last quarter neither she nor Darcy were in the forward line when our girls continually bombed it forward, only to be marked by the only ones there: the opposition. Darcy leaves me scratching my head. Whatever happened to the girl who kick 4 goals in the first ever AFLW game? I think the game and her opponents have moved past her.

Both these girls need to double their disposals, influence and start hitting the scoreboard. In round 1 Harris struggled to kick 35 metres. Two years ago when was kicking them from 50. Like I said, her long goals last game was very very lucky...and cudos to Darcy for shepherding the ball.

Our girls were lucky to beat Saints in the dying seconds of their praccy game.
Saints, like Pies and Dogs, just needed one quarter of footy to get ahead.

Really disappointed in the Carlton womens team....and I don't want to hear that we only lost by one goasl coz it was more than that. The scores flattered us in the last 2 weeks.

I'll watch this next game with interest. Might be the last time in 2021. I know we started with 0-2 last season but...that was last season...we also started 0-2 the season prior when we won a spoon.

Coach better make changes and stop gifting games to those in bad form like Teague did McGovern style. It doesn't pay. Harfs musy send a message at the selection table...if he's serious about winning.

If the girls fail this week, I will stick with watching the replay, after I hear results. Its really ugly footy the Blues are playing. Hard to watch.

Please fix up the skills and start connecting with team mates, not opponents: our lesser rated opponents seem to be far more superior than Blues with their skills. Its time for Harfs to toughen up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

From the Sponsorship thread:

camel wrote:
We've got an AFLW even coming up in a couple of weeks, LMK if anyone would like to go along…

Quote:
Hey there,

As an AFLW player sponsor I would like to invite you to the round 4 AFLW pregame function.

The event will be pregame, from around 2:15pm Sunday 21st Feb, and will include a ticket to the game.

Please let me know ASAP if you plan on attending.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:59 pm 
Ken Hunter

cortez wrote:
Eagan could be dropped for mine. Can't fault the endeavor or attack on the ball, but a shocking kick, gives it straight back time after time.

Agree.

But won't be.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:09 pm 
Bob Chitty

New AFLW podcast

https://anchor.fm/lizzie-hone/episodes/ ... nts-eqbhp0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

Q2

Carlton 19 - Saints 8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:56 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Egan has been good!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:47 pm 
Ken Hunter

Good intensity and involvement, Egan.

Well done!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:49 pm 
Ken Hunter

Percentage booster!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:48 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Really good game. St Kilda are really good on the spread. Exceptional. But they break down once they get to half forward.

We are still handball happy but have some real grunt. Our centre bounce ruck with the wind was crazy good.

Well done all!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:50 pm 
John James

Good win for the girls.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:51 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Beijing Blue wrote:
Good win for the girls. Hrad to watch though....

I enjoyed all of it. It was a great game with some excellent play. Even though we won by a fair margin, it was well contested.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:20 am 
Bert Deacon

verbs wrote:
We are still handball happy but have some real grunt.
Do you think the abundance of handball was by design when we were into the wind? I assumed it was a cunning Harford plan to counter the lack of penetration when kicking into the gale. We didn't seem to handball quite so much when going with the breeze in the second and last quarters. Just a theory.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next