Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: AFLW2021
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:35 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Wojee wrote:
North's kicking seemed a level above as well, more often than not spotted up a teammate perfectly.

:thumbsup:

Skills are ... well ... not that good this year.

Gone backwards in that area.

Need Gee in the forwardline. Expected McEvoy to step up this year.

I thought McEvoy would be around Prespakis level in year 2, but doesn’t have the Prespakis side step or initial acceleration to get out of trouble.

Me too.

I'm looking for the x factor/ reason she was picked so high in the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:48 pm 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
AGRO wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Wojee wrote:
North's kicking seemed a level above as well, more often than not spotted up a teammate perfectly.

:thumbsup:

Skills are ... well ... not that good this year.

Gone backwards in that area.

Need Gee in the forwardline. Expected McEvoy to step up this year.

I thought McEvoy would be around Prespakis level in year 2, but doesn’t have the Prespakis side step or initial acceleration to get out of trouble.

Me too.

I'm looking for the x factor/ reason she was picked so high in the draft.
McEvoy has had a bit of 2nd year blues, but most of that is due to injury. if she'd had the pre-season a few others had, she'd be playing a lot better. I wouldn't throw her away: her form will improve as her body does. As for why she was chosen, she was a top player in the lower levels for 3 years in a row, waiting only until she was old enough to be drafted. Her play last year is probably more like what you will expect in the future.

I was looking at last year's game against Richmond last night and really noticed a lot of difference in the way we played.
[1] Downie and Moody absolutely killed their opponents in the ruck.
This year that simply hasn't been the case. Moody is rucking well enough, but Downie is really struggling. She played a reasonable defensive role last week, but has just struggled to make an impact. At 36, I don't think she has a lot left in her. That is a real pity, as she was a very intelligent ruck and the perfect foil for the sheer athleticism is Moody.
Last week Moody got killed. Withoiut first use of the ball, our midfield struggled.
[2] Tayla Harris was so good for most of last season. Apart from the Collingwood game, she had an impact every week. She made good tackles and good smothers. She was moving better and her kicking was ... good enough. This year she is struggling to out-body opponents and not getting any frees. Chops her arms and it is play-on. She is trying, but she isn't having an impact and she is the only tall target in our forward line.
[3] Brooke Walker and Chloe Dalton had huge years last year. Their pace and aggression in the forward line really helped us a lot, not to mention the way dalton could (and did) burst from the centre. We have lacked that this year. We don't kick over the opposition wall this year, we kick right to it. Walker will be back, but her injury is also going to limit her impact in the games we have left.
[4] With our midfield going great guns, our defence was really an impenetrable wall. This year it hasn't been. Harrington has been OK, but not as dominant. Mua has missed games and hasn't been quite at the top of her game. Charlotte Wilson has also been below her best, and her kicking has been a weakness. And then the smaller defenders have been in and out with injury. That has left us more vulnerable than we were last year.
[5] We don't get rewarded for our tackles. We probably have more run-down tackles than anyone else, but we don't get rewarded anywhere near as often as we could be. last week was a prime example. Bannister gets a mark that Mua had a lot of, but Gibbs doesn't get a mark that had a lot less contact from anyone else. Throws going unrewarded. God knows how many more frees we missed out on.
Until the Umpires have it in their heads that a Carlton tackle needs to be rewarded, we'll be on the back foot.

All in all, I wouldn't be blaming McEvoy yet. We've had a lot of important injuries and still are not at full strength. Some of our players are considerably down from last year. Other important players just haven't been there. We will be a different proposition with a full list of fit players. I just can't see us making the finals this season.
That said, nobody else has got so close to Collingwood this year. We have really only had one bad loss. But where last year we found a way, because our forwards were winning, this year we haven't been able to get the crucial centre breaks or the goals of importance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:57 am 
Bert Deacon

Totally agree with all of that beowulf, great summary of the year to date.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Agree with all that - especially the Umpire bit, we’ve been stitched up so many times this year, not being rewarded for great tackles - and in the very next possession we get pinged for holding the ball where the umpire would have had to guess to call it.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Yep. I agree as well but I think Moody has improved significantly this year. More mobile, god kick, far better below her knees and fumbles less. She's a weapon if we can get her playing consistently.
Mua is a top shelf defender but that concession seemed to knock her around a bit.
Harris is an issue IMHO. She has all the attributes but she isn't playing smart footy.
Really, we have to beat Fremantle next week to make the finals or rely on the Dogs and Dees to drop off. Their draw is harder than ours but our percentage is average.
Even though it's here, Freo will be extremely difficult. Relatively, they play sensational footy.
Soft losses earlier in the season are going to hurt us badly.

Post subject: AFLW2021
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

Harris is playing like Hamill, runs around making angry faces and running into people.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Wojee wrote:
Harris is playing like Hamill, runs around making angry faces and running into people.

You're a classic wojee :clap: love it.

Its time it works out for her.

beowulf hit nail on head....yeak Tayla has made an impact, but I know a few of her fans (girls who watch) want a bit more than the tough stuff and that cameo mark. We want it all from Tayla in our run home towards finals.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

Psst, anyone want to go to the AFLW Geurnsey Club dinner?

I need to know ASAP… reply here please -> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37092&p=2044074#p2043985

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:40 pm 
Ken Hunter

'Commentator' Bec Goddard...I would say she's a happy person just the one day of the year.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

Harris is not a very good footballer.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

Egan useless.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

See ya next 'season', girls.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:31 pm 
Ken Hunter

I notice that when an injured player is being taken from the field by a trainer (after the game has been stopped), the umpire restarts the game before the player gets to the boundary line, with the injured player's team effectively one player short.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

Crap 'sling tackle' call from the umpire in the last.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:42 pm 
Ken Hunter

The timekeeping rules in this competition are farcical.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

Plenty of determination and good skills on display from both teams today.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'd be curious to know if there are any other clubs with such striking similarities between how their men and women play.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:52 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluedog wrote:
Harris is not a very good footballer.

Agreed

The comments made last year by her Collingwood opponent were right.

She is slow getting up off the ground for the next contest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:53 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluedog wrote:
Egan useless.

Played much better last week.

Tries to do too much and runes out of puff.

Tough chick. Needs to get better at reading the play.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

The umpiring was too one sided.

No way we were going to win today (after the best quarter of footy for the year) with the umpires favouring Freo...yes favouring.

When McEvoy got the clear head high which sent her off the ground and no free was paid...so obvious...and should've been reported, I knew where the game was heading.

Have to remember that its womens footy ... its hard to watch some of them out there. Maddy is the exception...and Georgie Gee...Harrington.

I thought the girls were going to win this comfortably till the umpires had their say.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next