Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:24 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Sounds like we're playing Geelong in a practice match at Princes Park on Saturday Jan 19th.

No time or other details just yet, but the date was confirmed by the Carlton cheersquad on twitter.

It's a shame it isn't against Melbourne because we won't play them at all this year unless we somehow meet in the week of finals, while we play Geelong down at Kardinia Park in round 4.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:49 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

11am this Saturday.

https://twitter.com/CFCCheersquad/statu ... 9381518341

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:58 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

drunkill wrote:

Looking forward to your excellent match report afterwards, drunkill :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:14 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Prespakis tearing it up, I'm told! :thumbsup:

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:03 pm 
Ken Hunter

Oh well...

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Prespakis needs another pre-season, it actually looks like she hasn’t had one.

Geelong’s Number 1 draft pick Nina Morrison actually did tear it up.

Harris doesn’t look anywhere near it, once the ball hits the deck she loses interest and our delivery into the forward line doesn’t do her any favours.

Number 23 for Geelong (McWilliams) was awesome and was marking everything she kicked 4, and makes Harris look like a couple of wasted draft picks.

Brianna Davey, might have kicked 4, but they were all Josh Jenkins cherry picked out the back goals, she definitely needed the run, I like Davey far better across the half backline, hopefully she’ll move back there when Vescio comes back in.

If we’re going to try the Davey/Harris forward combination up forward I think we’re going to struggle big time - opposition teams are just going to sweep the ball out with ease.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:09 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Thanks AGRO...
Will be interesting what happens come the real games... I agree that we don't want to be slow when the ball hits the ground in the forward line.... .. I've suffered enough of that with the men!

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:10 pm 
Garry Crane

AGRO wrote:

Harris doesn’t look anywhere near it, once the ball hits the deck she loses interest and our delivery into the forward line doesn’t do her any favours.

Number 23 for Geelong (McWilliams) was awesome and was marking everything she kicked 4, and makes Harris look like a couple of wasted draft picks.

Brianna Davey, might have kicked 4, but they were all Josh Jenkins cherry picked out the back goals, she definitely needed the run, I like Davey far better across the half backline, hopefully she’ll move back there when Vescio comes back in.

If we’re going to try the Davey/Harris forward combination up forward I think we’re going to struggle big time - opposition teams are just going to sweep the ball out with ease.

Agree with the assessment of Tayla...my daughter commented that she was like the Casboult of AFLW...decent mark but no second efforts.

Shae Audley was probably best on ground purely from guts and determination.

We went on the ground for qtr and 3qtr breaks and Shae and Katie Loynes we’re demanding a lift from their teammates..

Agree that Prespakis looked a bit underdone but mostly her possessions and awareness were classy.

To lose by 2 points without Darcy who was rested, Sarah Hoskins who didn’t play the last qtr after a heavy (illegal??) tackle and Tayla Harris who went off with shoulder injury in last qtr but no real influence..plenty to work with.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blueblood wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Agree with the assessment of Tayla...my daughter commented that she was like the Casboult of AFLW...decent mark but no second efforts .

Couldn’t agree more you took the words out of my mouth, your daughter is very astute.

:thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:02 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
Blueblood wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Agree with the assessment of Tayla...my daughter commented that she was like the Casboult of AFLW...decent mark but no second efforts .

Couldn’t agree more you took the words out of my mouth, your daughter is very astute.

:thumbsup:
I thought you were referring to her kicking when you mentioned Casboult

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

MP's highlights look good... If she improves with a pre-season she will go from good to great! Genuine user of both sides of her body too... I'm a fan.
Wish I had seen the game.... Cats no1 must be some player too

Go Blues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:41 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

A crosspost from bigfooty:
-----

A scrappy game at times, we were in control a lot but failued to push forward at times, if it were a real match we'd have out best side out there, vescio only played 1 quarter for instance so I hope getting the ball deep in our forward during the season is easier for us. Geelong got a few clean passages of play at times from end to end and scored, particularly in the second quarter when they caught up.

Marking is still a weakpoint for us, with Danielle Hardiman and Maddison Gay gone that will hurt us in areas of the ground, Allison Downie was probably our best mark in the centre of the ground (that I noticed) with her height advantage. We need to spoil better too, punch the ball away, Loynes was good at this. Sun in the eyes could have been a valid excuse for some dropped/missed marks.

I think Geelong had a few bigger players, our girls need to hit the gym in the offseason and put on some muscle. A few late and high hits in the fourth quarter saw Sarah Hosking knocked out and taken off the ground, a lot of remonstration for that.

I reckon Geelong were treating it as a real game while we were trying things out, blooding all 11 of our new players and getting gametime into them, resting/limited time for our core group of players and lots of interchanges. Geelong hardly rotated and were just playing it out.

It looked like tayla harris hurt her shoulder in a marking contest crashing the pack, she came off the ground too but it was late in the game so she might be alright for round 1 (fingers crossed)

Reni Hicks copped a massive knee in the back during a marking contest and went off the field with two or three minutes to go in the game.

As an aisde, the numbers on our jumpers look smaller than previous seasons, I might be incorrect but next to the geelong players they looked smaller/harder to read.

All in all, if we're fit I reckon we beat them when we face them down at Kardinia park in round 4, if we get to put our best team on the field on the day. The Cats were good, but it was mainly their top 4or 6 players making things difficult for us.

Carlton match report: http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-0 ... of-promise
https://twitter.com/JasonBennettTV/stat ... 2478840832

Highlights of the match from the club youtube channel

And Geelong player Richelle Cranston was given a 2 match suspension for her sling tackle which knocked out Sarah Hosking. Video here:
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-01-23/ ... cat-banned