Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:56 am 
Bruce Doull

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/827491264396357633
Quote:
Post-match wrap: AFLW Round 1
Carlton Media's Grace Phillips brings you all the reaction from the Blues' first-ever AFLW victory.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:57 am 
Harry Vallence

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Those questioning the standard of the game are missing the point. Try telling a 10yo girl it's s poor standard. To her it's not, and she wouldn't care anyway. This is a brilliant concept for afl generally, and for thousands of young girls who want something more than netball, and crave a role model.

Spot on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:12 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Those questioning the standard of the game are missing the point. Try telling a 10yo girl it's s poor standard. To her it's not, and she wouldn't care anyway. This is a brilliant concept for afl generally, and for thousands of young girls who want something more than netball, and crave a role model.

Yep.

Great to see people show up and very proud of my club for embracing it.

Pity that many TC contributors feel threatened by the womens game.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:49 am 
Stephen Kernahan

kingkerna wrote:
Wow, still think netball is the only girls sport eh.

No. Of course not. There's afl too :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:51 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:
The naysayers can (and will) point to the scoreboard to try and downplay this. But the Carlton Football Club made even more history tonight, and these girls will never forget this moment.

Well done girls :thumbsup:

there were some great moments, & yeah...it was a pretty good feeling watching history unfold.
I admit, my daughter left the room after ten minutes, but to be fair, it wasn't easy to watch til the game opened up. She was still pleased, & asked if it was 'really AFL?' when they ran out in the jumpers with the themes songs, she seemed bemused, and questioned if it would last. ( this is an honest girly girl reaction from her) I later told her we won, and that it had been a sell out. She seemed a bit chuffed with that. (she was also interested in the types of women playing..and she could see for herself there were all kinds of women. (my personal favorite was the gal with the white ribbon...nice touch!!!) :grin:
I admit, I was more excited to see history made than I thought I'd be..I think it being at our home
ground helped with that. I also did not watch more than 10 mins. at a time at any stage. To be fair, I often do that with AFL games except ours. (alright..sometimes even ours!! geez!!!)
but yeah.
I'll watch their next game on and off too. :thumbsup:
bloody well done.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:52 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
Wow, still think netball is the only girls sport eh.

No. Of course not. There's afl too :thumbsup:

we got country AND western here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:15 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Dominator_7 wrote:
Once again, the AFL will rightly be forced to listen to calls for Princes Park to be used again in some capacity. They can't keep turning a blind eye to it.

Do you think people went to see the first AFLW game or do you think people went to watch footy at Ikon Park?

If the crowd had been 35,000 at Etihad, what then?

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:30 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

The standard of the game was exceptional.

End of story.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:05 am 
formerly King Kenny

Vescio is what we need in the men's team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:30 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Exceptional standard, hilarious, was with a former afl player this morning who had a more realistic view than that. But hey, I'm sure he's threatened by it also

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:19 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluegirl72 wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
The naysayers can (and will) point to the scoreboard to try and downplay this. But the Carlton Football Club made even more history tonight, and these girls will never forget this moment.

Well done girls :thumbsup:

there were some great moments, & yeah...it was a pretty good feeling watching history unfold.
I admit, my daughter left the room after ten minutes, but to be fair, it wasn't easy to watch til the game opened up. She was still pleased, & asked if it was 'really AFL?' when they ran out in the jumpers with the themes songs, she seemed bemused, and questioned if it would last. ( this is an honest girly girl reaction from her) I later told her we won, and that it had been a sell out. She seemed a bit chuffed with that. (she was also interested in the types of women playing..and she could see for herself there were all kinds of women. (my personal favorite was the gal with the white ribbon...nice touch!!!) :grin:
I admit, I was more excited to see history made than I thought I'd be..I think it being at our home
ground helped with that. I also did not watch more than 10 mins. at a time at any stage. To be fair, I often do that with AFL games except ours. (alright..sometimes even ours!! geez!!!)
but yeah.
I'll watch their next game on and off too. :thumbsup:
bloody well done.

My 16yo daughter watched.....she loved it and is already a huge Vescio fan :razz:
She plays Touch Footy now at school and has made Vic teams. Touch got a big boost from the Olympic Gold medal, and now my daughter wants to play AFL after last nite. A great boost for the sport and Club. Go Blue Girls :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:22 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I really enjoyed it but the standard was not exceptional. The effort was however.
It was a perfect storm last night.
Great weather, traditional rivals, suburban ground, free entry and historic occasion but I think it will continue to grow.
The trick for the AFL is to get the pricing right. Free entry means a big loss when you consider ground rental, security, attendants, cleaning etc.
Make it too pricey and you keep people away.
It should be looked at like a Big Bash equivalent.
make it fun and a carnival like atmosphere, family event. Promote the stars.

Vescio is a star, I can see plenty of no 3 jumpers being worn around Melbourne this year for her.

As an aside, how well coached was Carlton as opposed to Collingwood. We just looked better organised, swpet the ball out of defense easily and created space in the forward line.
Collingwood played and looked like a bush league team in comparison. They obviously reecruited rough nuts to play physical. Except for their captain and a few others.

I dropped my mum and 15yo daughter off around 7pm. They struggled to find a seat. Both the 72 yo and 15 yo loved it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:23 am 
Geoff Southby

TruBlueBrad wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:
Once again, the AFL will rightly be forced to listen to calls for Princes Park to be used again in some capacity. They can't keep turning a blind eye to it.

Do you think people went to see the first AFLW game or do you think people went to watch footy at Ikon Park?

If the crowd had been 35,000 at Etihad, what then?

The point is the AFL and the media in general had Princes Park down as an eyesore from a bygone era that nobody cares about or wants to go to anymore. The game against he Drug Cheats last year, and last nights game, says otherwise.

MIL wrote:
My 16yo daughter watched.....she loved it and is already a huge Vescio fan :razz:
She plays Touch Footy now at school and has made Vic teams. Touch got a big boost from the Olympic Gold medal, and now my daughter wants to play AFL after last nite. A great boost for the sport and Club. Go Blue Girls :thumbsup:

My 6 y.o. daughter watched the 1st qtr before going to bed. She was rapt that girls were actually playing footy, after years of seeing me watching only the guys playing.
Told her we'd won this morning and she asked to watch the highlights, which I jumped online and showed her (how times have changed).
Reckon there's a whole new young female Navy Blue fan base this morning!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:03 am 
Bruce Doull

Do we dare to dream....?

kindest regards tommi

ahhh just give us the cup....!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:22 am 
Serge Silvagni

Navy Blue Horse wrote:

Exactly my daughter thought it was the best game she had ever attended

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Than I used to, my love

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:24 am 
Wayne Johnston

The Normal One wrote:
Vescio is what we need in the men's team.

Plays like Troy Menzel when he played well. She is obviously much better than him and a cut above the rest out there.

I loved the game and the whole night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:37 am 
Serge Silvagni

It was great being a part of the historic first game of the AFLW and I really enjoyed the game - and my daughter's reaction to it.

For me it had the added pleasure of returning to PP for Carlton game, smashing the 'wobbles in front of a full house and sitting just one bay from where I spent most winter Saturday afternoons with my father and sisters.

#FortressPP

#GoBlueGirls

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Than I used to, my love

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:26 pm 
Ken Hunter

buzzaaaah wrote:

Vescio is a star, I can see plenty of no 3 jumpers being worn around Melbourne this year for her.

Hopefully the jumpers without the light blue strips.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:42 pm 
Geoff Southby

I really really enjoyed watching it last night. Obviously the Albury seconds would beat them but that's not the point. It wasn't a high standard, there was lots of fumbling and lots of dropped marks and bad judgement when the ball was in the air but is was competitive! They obviously loved being out there competing and playing the best game in the world. I was stoked with the crowd size, I'm gonna try and make it down for the double header in March. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:48 pm 
Horrie Clover

bluedog wrote:
Nice post-match interview with the captain:

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2017-02-03/postgame-lauren-arnell

I wonder what people will say looking at, and listening to this in a hundred years from now?

:thumbsup:

That is a leader

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next