Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:05 am 
Bruce Doull

kingkerna wrote:
Kaptain Kouta wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
I meant soccer

No, because soccer in general doesn't interest me much, aside from what you might otherwise describe as "highlights packages".

I appreciate the skills in soccer/football, and it's good to watch in portions, but I don't enjoy watching entire matches.

Last matches I watched in their entirety were the Sydney FC v Hotspurs and Sydney FC v Chelsea matches, and that's pretty much only because I was working.

Give women's soccer a chance, you might like it.
Bottom line is I'm not going to watch a sport just because it's women playing, that's illogical. I understand those that have daughters that play being interested. Enjoy.

Totally agree that you shouldn't feel obliged to watch just because it's women playing. But that doesn't mean it's a substandard version of the game.

I know you're having a sly dig, but if soccer interested me more, then you're right, women's soccer would probably be interesting to me, and I'm not going to diss it just because it's women playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:40 am 
Stephen Silvagni

It isn't a substandard version?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

It's a different version.

In a subjective sport, what's "standard"?

Women have different strengths and play to those accordingly. It's not the same as similar guys playing the game. Some of the women's teams I've watched are just as hard at the ball as any suburban blokes out there, and some of the skills have been brilliant.

Just like in the top level AFL.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

Kaptain Kouta wrote:

Bingo, and this is the thread that SB unwittingly brought to the discussion.

Physical attractiveness is very much secondary to the aesthetic of the sport, and from that perspective I think it's a really solid period in the administration of the game for this league to break ground, because that's something the AFL seems to be focused on.

EDIT: grammar

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

Last edited by jimmae on Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:26 pm 
Rod Ashman

This statement comes from our Director Kate Jenkins:

This is a landmark moment for women in sport. For years, the AFL has been seen as a male domain, but the establishment of the new competition recognises the fact that women can be players at the highest level.

For Carlton, it’s the death of the boys club. Finally, we truly are a club for men and women.

It’s really important for gender equality that women are represented as footballers as well as administrators and supporters and there’s no question we have to make sure the women’s game becomes equally valued to the men’s. That’s not just going to happen with the announcement. It doesn’t mean the fight for gender equality has been won. But it is a significant step.

I had two brothers and to fit in with them I took part in kick-to-kick in my childhood. At the time it never occurred to me that women would ever be playing football, but all that has changed.”

After being on the Board for 6 months, why has a Carlton Director stated that a club that has been running for 150 year has just died?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:56 pm 
Bruce Doull

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
After being on the Board for 6 months, why has a Carlton Director stated that a club that has been running for 150 year has just died?

As someone who has presumably been reading English for decades, how did you come up with that interpretation?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:00 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Kaptain Kouta wrote:

In a subjective sport, what's "standard"?

Women have different strengths and play to those accordingly. It's not the same as similar guys playing the game. Some of the women's teams I've watched are just as hard at the ball as any suburban blokes out there, and some of the skills have been brilliant.

Just like in the top level AFL.

That's absurd.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:22 pm 
Rod Ashman

jimmae wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:

As someone who has presumably been reading English for decades, how did you come up with that interpretation?

you provide your interpretation.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
jimmae wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:

"It's the death of the 'boy's club'."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

jimmae wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:
jimmae wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:

"It's the death of the 'boy's club'."

so you are a-lock step with director jenkins.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:46 pm 
Bruce Doull

I think you mean "in lock step"

And what Ms Jenkins is saying, as I interpret it, is that the old boys club mentality is dead, not the club itself.

I think someone's being a shade melodramatic.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:20 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

jimmae wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:

Haha. Beat me to it, Jimmae. That was a gigantic leap of logic (and comprehension).

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:23 pm 
Rod Ashman

Kaptain Kouta wrote:
I think you mean "in lock step"

And what Ms Jenkins is saying, as I interpret it, is that the old boys club mentality is dead, not the club itself.

I think someone's being a shade melodramatic.

Thanks for the grammar lesson - In respect of being melodramatic, I didn't use the word "dead".

It is a statement that is confused - there have been just as many women members as are men members for the last 150 years.

To suggest that women have to run a competition as the same as mens is neither here nor there - all I know it is will put a drag on our club finances and resources for us to get to the elusive 17th Premiership. If your membership costs more next year, you know the reason why.

so the statement that the club for 150 years is "dead" in some form is disrespectful for all the history and success of my club and needs to be retracted.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:29 pm 
Rod Ashman

moshe25 wrote:
jimmae wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:

Haha. Beat me to it, Jimmae. That was a gigantic leap of logic (and comprehension).

this site with a blue background promotes typos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:41 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
moshe25 wrote:
jimmae wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:

Er..... What?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

moshe25 wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:
moshe25 wrote:
jimmae wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:

Er..... What?

Your not very bright yeah?

Computer eye strain (eye fatigue, computer vision syndrome) has also been associated with blue light emitted by digital display devices. Computer eye strain is a big problem if you are blue light sensitive and you need to stare at screens a lot. Moreover, emerging research suggests that there are other longer term health hazards, e.g. retina damage, sleep disorder, depression, etc. Blue light filters are a possible solution to blue light induced computer eye strain.

The blue background has effects on contrasting ...HELLO!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:24 pm 
Bruce Doull

That's awesome.

I needed a good giggle today.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
Your not very bright yeah?

Well...aside from his PhD in mathematics...

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
Computer eye strain (eye fatigue, computer vision syndrome) has also been associated with blue light emitted by digital display devices. Computer eye strain is a big problem if you are blue light sensitive and you need to stare at screens a lot. Moreover, emerging research suggests that there are other longer term health hazards, e.g. retina damage, sleep disorder, depression, etc. Blue light filters are a possible solution to blue light induced computer eye strain.

The blue background has effects on contrasting ...HELLO!!!!

We really need to bring back post of the week... :lol:

Mort Sahl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:36 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I'm confused and I'm not one of the few getting all excited about this "league"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:21 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

I've been racking my brain trying to think of something to say to that. Got me beat.

And by the way, what about my not very bright?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next