Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:59 pm 
Rod Ashman

kingkerna wrote:
it's going to be bigger than the men's game, will be self funded due to the large crowds and sponsors lining up to get high exposure
I'm very excited

you are dreaming

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
Please note - Hawthorn decided not to apply for a womens league licence - that is a club that knows what its doing...

Hawthorn is a club that likes to wait for massive incentives to exploit, in case you haven't noticed.

Our mob are not going to set up a team that is a loss-making exercise, nor is any other founding club. The attendance figures will be conservative, and the rest will be driven by AFL supplied money and sponsorship dollars. The AFL bears the burden, if any.

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
it's going to be bigger than the men's game, will be self funded due to the large crowds and sponsors lining up to get high exposure
I'm very excited

you are dreaming

kingkerna wrote:
Didn't say there was a crime, trying to go straight into a professional league from such a low base is ludicrous. Shouldn't be a national comp either.
I say this because of the costs involved

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

See above.

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:22 pm 
Rod Ashman

jimmae wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:
Please note - Hawthorn decided not to apply for a womens league licence - that is a club that knows what its doing...

Hawthorn is a club that likes to wait for massive incentives to exploit, in case you haven't noticed.

Our mob are not going to set up a team that is a loss-making exercise, nor is any other founding club. The attendance figures will be conservative, and the rest will be driven by AFL supplied money and sponsorship dollars. The AFL bears the burden, if any.

yep , as I say hawthorn knows what its doing - by the way - they are going for their 4th straight premiership

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:14 pm 
Bruce Doull

And we're down the bottom of that pile and need to think differently to make up the gap. Walking around like we have Hawthorn's resources and opportunities will just see us come up short until they make a whole series of mistakes (i.e. not going to happen).

We'd be stupid to turn down any revenue source, no matter how slender the profit margin, especially in a growth market.

FWIW, I don't think Hawthorn know as much as you think they do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:43 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
I'm very excited

you are dreaming

Sorry, sarcasm warning

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:54 am 
Rod Ashman

jimmae wrote:
And we're down the bottom of that pile and need to think differently to make up the gap. Walking around like we have Hawthorn's resources and opportunities will just see us come up short until they make a whole series of mistakes (i.e. not going to happen).

We'd be stupid to turn down any revenue source, no matter how slender the profit margin, especially in a growth market.

FWIW, I don't think Hawthorn know as much as you think they do.

we are the bottom of the pile because of the incompetent board we have- they got us in this position

they are the ones that accepted greg swan's incorrect advice and now they are accepting Trigg's incorrect advice

but-swan is sacked and these board members are still untouchable...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:38 am 
Bruce Doull

Are Geelong and the Dogs badly run clubs these days? They're pushing for licences.

Everyone's wondering what Hawthorn are doing, but the answer is simple. They want to save themselves some marginal establishment costs and can afford to divest funds elsewhere for a superior return in the short-term.

If the league grows, they can cash in on it then, probably no sweat off their back. We, on the other hand, need to assume that risk now and push to be a powerhouse in the women's game on the off-chance (small, but not impossible) that we can harness a greater return in the medium to long-term.

If you want to play a relatively risk-less strategy compared to Hawthorn, how can you expect to become like them? How do you expect to make up the margin?

Worst case scenario here is the league folds within a decade, and that's not going to be a loss-making exercise for the club at all.

Now frankly, the harping on about women being inferior athletes and thus an inferior financial opportunity was well covered in the last shit stain thread on this topic, this topic was supposed to be about the 2016 matches, including some trial rules in the upcoming games.

You're about 5 years too late to stop this particular form of the Clubpocalypse you're so worried about which, like most of your posts, is frankly laughable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:47 am 
Craig Bradley

Geelong certainly recognise the value of the female kind to their operation.....40% of their members are female

Meanwhile, we sit on the bottom of that ladder at 28%....

We are Carlton, @#$%&! the rest !!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:53 am 
Stephen Silvagni

I dare say hawthorn aren't entering a women's team because the AFL told them not to bother because it's all been arranged already.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:18 am 
Rod Ashman

jimmae wrote:
Are Geelong and the Dogs badly run clubs these days? They're pushing for licences.

Everyone's wondering what Hawthorn are doing, but the answer is simple. They want to save themselves some marginal establishment costs and can afford to divest funds elsewhere for a superior return in the short-term.

If the league grows, they can cash in on it then, probably no sweat off their back. We, on the other hand, need to assume that risk now and push to be a powerhouse in the women's game on the off-chance (small, but not impossible) that we can harness a greater return in the medium to long-term.

If you want to play a relatively risk-less strategy compared to Hawthorn, how can you expect to become like them? How do you expect to make up the margin?

Worst case scenario here is the league folds within a decade, and that's not going to be a loss-making exercise for the club at all.

Now frankly, the harping on about women being inferior athletes and thus an inferior financial opportunity was well covered in the last shit stain thread on this topic, this topic was supposed to be about the 2016 matches, including some trial rules in the upcoming games.

You're about 5 years too late to stop this particular form of the Clubpocalypse you're so worried about which, like most of your posts, is frankly laughable.

spoken like a true carlton insider....

its got nothing to do with the merits of the womens as players - its the big issue about the 6.4m debt, the drag on the resources of this already weak club, the 4 wooden spoons in 13 years.. this incompetent board continuing this mediocrity..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:29 am 
Craig Bradley

So, what's your growth strategy Mozzie?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:32 am 
Bruce Doull

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
spoken like a true carlton insider....

its got nothing to do with the merits of the womens as players - its the big issue about the 6.4m debt, the drag on the resources of this already weak club, the 4 wooden spoons in 13 years.. this incompetent board continuing this mediocrity..

Not an insider, and you are quite clearly bereft of ideas or insight. But please, feel free to post about things that aren't relevant to this thread, at all.

If you want to talk about Carlton's bid, maybe make a thread in the relevant forum?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:02 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

teagueyubeauty wrote:
So, what's your growth strategy Mozzie?

you suggesting that having a women's team will actually help the club?

Other than feel good statements, how will this project help us?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:25 pm 
Craig Bradley

How will it not help?

Just remember this number, 28%.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:06 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

teagueyubeauty wrote:
How will it not help?

Just remember this number, 28%.....

So having a womens team translates into getting more women to support the mens team? That's illogical.

I guess I'm more opposed to the way the AFL has gone about creating this comp. Too much too quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:49 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The goal of a national Women's AFL competition has been in the AFL planning process for a long time.

The seeds have been planted back in 2006 with Junior Youth Girls competition in Victoria (under the auspices of AFL Victoria - and then replicating this in all other states) the aim was to develop identical player pathways for the girls that boys had with their under 18 Academy systems. The logical extension of this was to provide these graduating under 18 girls somewhere to play (other than there state based leagues).

These under 18 girls are passionate and know there football (I am closely related to one :wink: ).

I for one strongly support the concept and would weep tears of joy and be extremely proud to see her wearing Navy Blue.

:thumbsup:

:grin:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:53 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Can't see an issue with it. My second cousin will go close to making a team also. Would love to see her out in the MCG.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:01 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Looks like people want proof that something will work before they'll support it.

Not many good ideas would get off the ground if that was the case.

It's obviously a risk I'm not sure anyone on TC is close enough to it or qualified to offer an informed opinion.

Hope it works , I've enjoyed the games I've watched and the girls my daughters age are right into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:44 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Define "works"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:47 pm 
Craig Bradley

Channel 7 just had a grab with the CEO of the dogs and a hot chf Bulldogs girl just to inform everyone they'd put their bid in by the deadline today...... Do not underestimate how much this town loves football !!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next