Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:06 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
There is no logic to suggest that having a womens competition is going to bring more women to the game. Its inherently confused middle class feminist thinking.

How dare you accuse Gillon McLachlan and Mike Fitzpatrick of being middle-class.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:59 am 
Rod Ashman

DocSherrin III wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:
There is no logic to suggest that having a womens competition is going to bring more women to the game. Its inherently confused middle class feminist thinking.

How dare you accuse Gillon McLachlan and Mike Fitzpatrick of being middle-class.

yes they are :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:05 am 
Rod Ashman

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
I am sure these women will be great athletes in their own right but I can't take it seriously and I am sure I'm not alone.

I don't like watching any women's team sports except netball oh and beach volleyball.

Mind you, if they sanitize the men's comp much more, clubs will be able to elevate their women in the ones.

I understand the irony in the last paragraph but its a serious point. There is no logic to suggest that having a womens competition is going to bring more women to the game. Its inherently confused middle class feminist thinking.

Womens big bash, netball and WLeague have been on an upward curve in terms of attendance and exposure over the past 3 years. The AFL has sniffed the wind on this and doesn't want to miss the boat.

Personally I think it's fantastic. Why shouldn't women be entitled to the same sporting pathways as the men?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:16 am 
Harry Vallence

sandramcd67 wrote:
agree gws..it is a shame some in here are not supportive of this endeavour

This old bloke supports the initiative Sandra and I congratulate the Club on what apparently was a very professional application.

With over 50% of Football attendees of the fairer sex it makes perfect sense to be involved.Additionally as i understand it, the CFC has had difficulty in the past attracting women into our membership.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:20 am 
Rod Ashman

Beantown wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
I am sure these women will be great athletes in their own right but I can't take it seriously and I am sure I'm not alone.

I don't like watching any women's team sports except netball oh and beach volleyball.

Mind you, if they sanitize the men's comp much more, clubs will be able to elevate their women in the ones.

I understand the irony in the last paragraph but its a serious point. There is no logic to suggest that having a womens competition is going to bring more women to the game. Its inherently confused middle class feminist thinking.

Womens big bash, netball and WLeague have been on an upward curve in terms of attendance and exposure over the past 3 years. The AFL has sniffed the wind on this and doesn't want to miss the boat.

Personally I think it's fantastic. Why shouldn't women be entitled to the same sporting pathways as the men?

middle class feminist statement- lets have mens netball and see how that flies

this reaction by the afl is to stop the womens soccer juggernaut - women soccer players earn heaps more in the US with international career prospects...afl will just be a local dufflecoat wearing show that runs in 40 degree heat for 2 months in summer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I used to be you Mosquito Fleet.

Then one cold winters evening (back in 2006) I went to pick up my son from footy training and my daughter who was with me picked up an errant football and hit up one of his team mates with a perfect lace out 40 metre drop punt.

The Youth Girls Coach happened to he watching and invited my daughter down to training - I was dead against it but I couldn't stop her.

18 months later a very proud dad watched his daughter pull on a "Big White V" ( and that's a Big White V - not the pale blue ones that VIC Metro wear :wink: ) to represent Victoria in the very first Youth Girls Under 18 Victorian side. :smile:

Now Mosquito, I'm not you, and fully support women and our clubs involvement in this endeavour.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:52 am 
Rod Ashman

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
Beantown wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

middle class feminist statement- lets have mens netball and see how that flies

this reaction by the afl is to stop the womens soccer juggernaut - women soccer players earn heaps more in the US with international career prospects...afl will just be a local dufflecoat wearing show that runs in 40 degree heat for 2 months in summer

But can't you see that if their attention is turned away to other sports they may already play that their hard earned may follow?
I have sons that play soccer and getting them to an ALeague game is easier than an AFL game, purely because they relate to it more.
It's a logical move by the AFL.
I don't even have daughters but can see the unfairness in a system that says there are limited opportunities for you to participate in a sport beyond the age of 14 because of your gender.

Feminist or modern thinking?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:59 am 
Stephen Kernahan

The league was set up due to an upswing in interest and participation among girls.

I don't know if it's viable or not but it appears that a lot of girls are genuinely interested in playing the sport, why not support and promote that?

I don't have a lot of time for the AFL but this seems a good initiative.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:13 pm 
Craig Bradley

AGRO wrote:
I used to be you Mosquito Fleet.

Then one cold winters evening (back in 2006) I went to pick up my son from footy training and my daughter who was with me picked up an errant football and hit up one of his team mates with a perfect lace out 40 metre drop punt.

The Youth Girls Coach happened to he watching and invited my daughter down to training - I was dead against it but I couldn't stop her.

18 months later a very proud dad watched his daughter pull on a "Big White V" ( and that's a Big White V - not the pale blue ones that VIC Metro wear :wink: ) to represent Victoria in the very first Youth Girls Under 18 Victorian side. :smile:

Now Mosquito, I'm not you, and fully support women and our clubs involvement in this endeavour.

Nice story!!

You won't change his chauvanistic mind though...

We are Carlton, @#$%&! the rest !!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

TomAlvin'sWig wrote:
jimmae wrote:
Going to have to come up with a new name for the Father/Son rule to cover all the new scenarios.

The heritage rule, the legacy rule?

Paternity rule

Except when one of the AFLW players has a kid?

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

sandramcd67 wrote:

Hi Sandra.
If that's for me, I support the concept but it doesn't have to translate to my watching it. I acknowledge the UFC men and women but I never watch it. I reckon golfers are some of the most skillful sportspeople in the sports world but I hate watching golf.
I see we won the world women's rugby sevens. Wow! That's great for them but i didn't watch it.
I hate watching any tennis except men's doubles.

I enjoy watching the women's netball because they are the best at what they do. Unfortunately, I get to see it once every few years.

I won't watch the WAFL, AWFL or AFWL regardless.

Doesn't mean I don't support the concept or their right to play whatever they want.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

sandramcd67 wrote:
abbie mckay our first father and daughter?

Kouta and Kernahan...

I see the rule is if the father payed one game.
The AFL say if there is a connection with the club they will be allowed to stay.
They're already diluting it. They said the rules would be the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

Who or what is next to Murphy?

Last edited by Lowey_47 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blue Sombrero wrote:
sandramcd67 wrote:
abbie mckay our first father and daughter?

Kouta and Kernahan...

I see the rule is if the father payed one game.
The AFL say if there is a connection with the club they will be allowed to stay.
They're already diluting it. They said the rules would be the same.

It's the start of the league BS, they'll lower the barrier to entry for that stuff early on.

Lowey_47 wrote:
Who or what is next to Murphy?

:|

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:34 pm 
Robert Walls

I think bringing women's aussie rules under the AFL banner is a great thing in theory, but they've got a long way to go to make it a success.

Will it just be spin?

What are the AFL's long term plans?
Will it stay as a quick curtain raiser with not much coverage?

Will young female athletes perceive it as a proper 'league' in its own right? Or just a nice little piece of diversity PR ?

Why will this be superior to the State games? What will it add?

From the AFL website:

Quote:
The women's Grand Final could be played in the week between the end of the NAB Challenge and the start of the AFL season, or as a curtain-raiser to the AFL season opener at the MCG on either a Thursday or Saturday night.

Not many details there.

I think it's a thumbs up for the AFL for the gesture, but let's see what they actually deliver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:10 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

It will be successful once people see the club jumpers competing against each other.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sounds like they'll have this and then their usual league games given it starts and finishes in the pre-season.

Might make the Victorian league a little stronger with talent coming in from interstate.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:58 am 
Garry Crane

Blue Sombrero wrote:
sandramcd67 wrote:

Hi Sandra.
If that's for me, I support the concept but it doesn't have to translate to my watching it. I acknowledge the UFC men and women but I never watch it. I reckon golfers are some of the most skillful sportspeople in the sports world but I hate watching golf.
I see we won the world women's rugby sevens. Wow! That's great for them but i didn't watch it.
I hate watching any tennis except men's doubles.

I enjoy watching the women's netball because they are the best at what they do. Unfortunately, I get to see it once every few years.

I won't watch the WAFL, AWFL or AFWL regardless.

Doesn't mean I don't support the concept or their right to play whatever they want.

Hey blue

First up being supportive was not directed at you:)

I do not watch soccer/NRL/Union/golf nor do I have to because there is no interest for me.

I think the introduction of WAFL is a great concept there are some fantastic female players out there that have had no pathway until now. A great part of the population will not watch or have an interest because they are women and feel all women teams will be inferior (most of these people would feel the same for any womens sports that has been traditionally male). At least now there is recognition, being paid to do what they love and they have the opportunity to build something special.

Can you imagine the day when lady baggers and blue baggers both take the ultimate prize on the last day of September?

Lets wait for it to unfold and see where it all goes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:44 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Define success in relation to this. Either way the media and the AFL will say it's been a success.
I have absolutely no desire to watch it, some will out of curiosity, other than that why would you want to watch a sub standard game just because women are playing?
I think it's nice that women can play AFL, hopefully more local clubs will offer that option.
Hopefully other female sports aren't effected negatively as a result, especially basketball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:08 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

If the game becomes dominated by women who are built like brick outhouses it will die a natural death.
But if they are fit athletes like the women's soccer there is no reason why it wont be successful

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next