Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

Round 1 and 2

The pre-season always seems so long and then before you know it the season has commenced and we are now preparing for round three. We had a good preparation for the season, although the media didn't seem to think we were going to well and that was based on one disappointing result against Port Adelaide. We lost our NAB Cup match to Geelong, the eventual winners of the competition, after a close game. The following week in the first of our practice matches we were thrashed by Port Adelaide and everyone outside the club seemed to dwell on this result. Victories over West Coast the Western Bulldogs in the final two practice matches were rarely mention outside Carlton, however even though they were practice matches we were confident our form coming into the season was good.

There is always a big build up to round one and this year it was an even bigger build up for myself as it was my 250th game for Carlton. It is hard to believe that I have reached this milestone, when I first came to Carlton my goal was to play a senior game, so 250 is something I am really proud of. The usual media build up to the opening game of the season was added to with a number of media commitments in the lead up to the match against Melbourne.

The build up didn't really finish until the game started as I was fortunate to carry my son and daughter onto the ground prior to the game and this was very special. I met my wife at the end of the race leading onto the ground and ran (well actually walked) out onto the ground to break through the cheer squad banner. It was an emotional moment and followed a special video in the rooms with the team before we went out onto the ground. While it was a special moment it was a matter of putting it behind me as the game started, we wanted our first round one victory since 2001.

The win over Melbourne certainly made for a special day for me and more so for the Carlton Football Club. We really needed a win to help set the season up, as much on the field as off the field as the club had gone through a pretty tough time in the media leading into the season. The noise made by the supporters when the siren sounded was unbelievable and it was a special time to have Nick Stevens and Lance Whitnall chair me off the ground to celebrate my 250 game milestone and a Carlton victory.

There was tremendous excitement in the rooms and it was the type of atmosphere we would all like to have after every game. While I was enjoying my 250th game, Marc Murphy was celebrating his AFL debut (a debut that would earn him the NAB AFL Rising Star nomination for round one) and Dylan McLaren was celebrating his Carlton debut after joining us from Brisbane over the summer. This was a special moment and one that I was so pleased to be able to share with my family.

Of course the joy of victory does not last too long as the next day we were back training and preparing for round two of the season, a very tough encounter against Fremantle in Perth five days later. Monday's session was a recovery session and it was encouraging to see so many media at the club to be positive about our start to 2006. While we had one full skills session on Wednesday it was again a busy week with sponsorship announcements on Tuesday and Wednesday and of course Marc Murphy's nomination as the round one Rising Star creating plenty of media interest.

We flew out to Perth on Friday morning for the Saturday evening game with just the one change to the side, Brad Fisher out with a hamstring injury replaced Callum Chambers. The Perth trip is one we are all used to as we seem to play at Subiaco twice every year. For Marc Murphy it was a new experience, as not only had he not played in Perth before he had never been there. So while we all enjoyed the short training session at Subiaco on Friday afternoon it was a training session and an introductory session for Marc.

The game on Saturday evening was disappointing, while we lost by only 15 points it was the first half that was a real let down, particularly after our great first game of the season. We let ourselves down early and had to play 'catch up' football and while we really improved in the second half, outscoring the Dockers nine goals to four, the damage had been done. While disappointed it was great to have the opportunity to meet up with the Carlton Members in WA after the game at a special post match function before we headed back to the airport for the flight home. And before everyone says what a glamorous life we lead, the flight was the 'red-eye' from Perth, arriving in Melbourne at 5.30am Sunday. Let me tell you there was nothing too glamorous about us at that time on Sunday.

This week we have our first home game of the 2006 season, against Sydney at the Dome on Easter Saturday. We are looking forward to a big Carlton crowd in attendance and hope that most are Carlton Members because we really need our supporters to join the Carlton Team in 2006. For more information on Membership contact the Club on 1300 72 79 81 or visit the Carlton Website at carltonfc.com.au