Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

Pagan has no doubt done this, but who on our list that isnt a regular player yet that we could put into the side if we really have to...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:32 pm 
John Nicholls

blueman wrote:
Pagan has no doubt done this, but who on our list that isnt a regular player yet that we could put into the side if we really have to...

Chris Bryan.
Hasn't been mentioned that often in the VFL reports, but when he has he seems to have done alright.
Could add another dimension to our forward line or backline.
Perhaps even CHB?

The flipside is, can you have French, DeLuca and Bryan in the same team at the one time?

Post subject: Chris Bryan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

Reckon Chris has to be given a shot to see if he can hack it at AFL level.@2 ruckman setups are a must have in successful sides.And Archie is more of an agile bigman roamer rather than a stock standard ruckman.Bryan has played as a floating loose man in defence and also gone forward to jag a few on the forward line.Barney has been magnificent and already has his name carved on the most improved trophy.but he desperatly needs a backup to lighten his overworked body.Will not last the season at this rate.Its just too much to ask from one guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:03 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Yeah I reckon Bryan needs to be played of the bench to give Barney the odd short spell in the ruck.
DeLuca I think should be playing the Earl Spalding contesting type role at CHF while Lance can have license to float around ground as he reads the game so well.
We've got Betts and JD to crumb of Archie if the ball is bombed in and Fev to be the leading target.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:03 pm 
John Nicholls

Mick,
Being the big fan that you are of Bryan, when he has played back, how has he gone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:38 pm 
Harry Vallence

Mentioned yesterday that maybe Bryan could come in as a defender/ no. 2 ruckman.

(But then fullmont said that no-one could ever replace livo, his number-one favorite player.)

Also, whilst Karl will now get a game by default, not so sure that Pagan will be happy to do it - seems to me he's trying to teach the guy a lesson about earning your spot. Hopefully he can take the extra responsibility and realise some of his potential.

Post subject: Bryan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

As i have said P,done very well wherever he played.A footballer rather than an athlete,hence his anticipation was his strength.Reads the play so well and always seemed to drop back and take that timely mark in defence.No good pussy footing around with this guy.Chuck him in the deep end and its sink or swim.Gaurentee him 3 games and sayo go for it son.I would be more than happy to see him line up on Scott Lucas next week.After all,if you want to be an AFL footballer,you have to be prepared to take on the big names.Ryan Ferguson was a ruckman at Frankston and has been transformed to a damn good backman at AFL level.Reckon Bryan has every bit the ability Ferguson has.Dennis is renowned for throwing out a challenge to a new kid on the block.I just got a hunch,and it is purely a gut feeling,that Bryan is gonna get the job next week and vindicate the coaches faith.Some times ya gotta go out on a limb,and it is time to throw caution to the wind.Shit,that CHB possie has been a problem since Mick Sexton had his jaw broken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:42 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Talking about 2nd ruckmen, maybe we should've gone harder at Darren Jolly. Had a great game for the swanees today. Hindsights great though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:59 pm 
Robert Walls

Worth a first round pick? I hear the Dees could not believe their luck when the Swans made them that offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:03 pm 
Wayne Johnston

BlueWorld wrote:
Worth a first round pick? I hear the Dees could not believe their luck when the Swans made them that offer.

I guess we'll see in a few years time :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:05 pm 
Rod Ashman

Theres more footy brains than mine on TC, but I had a hunch that maybe Chris Bryan might be worth a look. Mentioned him in another thread earlier on.

Im glad that you guys are talking about him as a potential defensive type of player.

Its what I was hoping for but didnt know enough about to say...

If it worked, it wouldnt be the first time that we've thrown a new untried guy into the side and come up trumps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

With all the talk about promoting Setanta maybe Denis might try Bryan? This would allow DeLuca to play on one of the Dons talls in the backlines, leaving Bryan as a back up to French, and maybe Bryan could go down back if needed?

Post subject: Blueman
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

Hey Blueman,whats footy smarts got to do with it.Have your say pal.Thats the beauty of this site.Its only opinion pal,and we all have one.Come out with some real pearlers myself and have been more than happy to be shot down in flames.Thats the fun of it.Hell man,you would have to be cuckoo to take some of this stuff seriously.Its never personal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

Im a serious guy. but hey with encouragement like that, ive just come out of my shell.

Im just aware that theres a lot of knowledge that id like to have before offering an opinion.

just have a gut feeling that Chris Bryan might be an answer in defence. hes pretty tall and is very strong, can take a good mark. we need that sort of person down back. Also Im acutely aware of our need for more ruck strength despite French doing a great job..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

Hey blueman, don't be worried about egos, keep posting your thoughts. I post on here, and I clearly have no idea what i'm talking about. Plus i'm kinda mentally unstable too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

If idiots like me can pontificate freely, then Blueman shouldn't be holding back.

post away, don't be scared!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

just feel like I kind of know and respect you guys. fellowblue supporters all. a kind of family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:30 pm 
Horrie Clover

Know exactly where your coming from blueman..feel the same way myself...

Bit intimidating sometimes...still it's great to read all the different opinions
and have a say yourself...

Keep it up :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

blueman wrote:
just feel like I kind of know and respect you guys. fellowblue supporters all. a kind of family.

Cocky bastard.., someone should shut this guy up.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:13 pm 
Craig Bradley

Norman is really our only option to play on the full forward leading type player, given that he's got real pace. In theory Setanta has the athleticism to do it also, but it would be too big a risk to plop him at fullback in his first game, particularly when it's a must-win game for us.

We've got a few options to handle centre half back (with some help from third man up). I think Digby, Archie and perhaps even Bryan could all be reasonable options. But all would struggle to keep up on a fast leading type of player.