Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Camporeale
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:53 pm 
Wayne Johnston

No excuses for Campo today.
For a player of his experience and the fact that he's vice captain, todays perfomance was really disappointing to me. His was continually undisciplined throughout the whole game. It wasn't just being out of form or "down", he was totally undisciplined.
He really needs to take a look at himself if he wants to be continued to be regarded as a team leader imo.
As said many times we have a very young team and the younger players are gonna have flat perfomances like today, no problem with that.
Vice Captain Campo needs to grow up, shut his trap and help lead his team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

Definitely.

He was undisciplined, and gave away some stupid frees. Let the opposition win the mind games and take his concentration away from the footy, which hasn't happened this year.

I hope that it's an isolated event. Not good enough from a leader.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:05 pm 
Craig Bradley

You might be right guys. But the 50 metre penalty against him looked pretty soft to me. Looked to be a serious case of Harvey theatrics!

It was interesting that our Wizard Cup strategy (of having at least one of our quality runners and ball users running fairly free in defence) seemed to get worked out a bit today. It was probably made worse by our injuries early in the game. And particularly the injury of Walker (and Chambers last week?). We really missed their midfield running today. Waite did a terrific job in applying some defensive pressure through his hard running, but we struggled without our 2 best runners on the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:00 pm 
Bruce Doull

Stefchook wrote:
Looked to be a serious case of Harvey theatrics!

Of course it was, but Campo shoudn't have let himself be sucked into it in the first place, he should know better, and whats more, Denis would be letting him know that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

To me the most dissapointing issue with Campo was that he allowed his opponent to run in the centre square form centre ball up. Often Campo was caught behind. There is no doubt Campo is a good player however when he is in defence or on the defensive side of the play he needs to be more accountable and play more defensive.

Expect Campo to bounce back next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:19 am 
Bruce Doull

Campo lets taggers get into his head and gets frustrated with being held off the ball and constantly niggled. What he really needs is an enforcer to legitimately deliver a heavy hit to his tagger early in the game to let them know they're a target as well. We don't have one.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:49 pm 
Rod McGregor

I Like campo as a footballer but since that day he made that comment he knew how to handle taggers after what diesel williams told him he always loses the plot when tagged

He always gets targeted against the Bombers so will be interesting to see what happens this week

But i agree with everyone he needs to show more discipline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:35 pm 
Bruce Doull

Until Campo becomes a player that can spark when were down by 5 goals .. to me he will always be a downhill skiier.
approaching 30 and still hasnt been able to do it.
He is never a great player in a side thats down.
However when we win he looks fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:06 pm 
Bruce Doull

You know the really sad thing?
Synbad is right. He works hard in a team which is on top, but seems to go AWOL when we're struggling.
I know that there are times and places for all sorts, but I wish he'd put in a few hard at it maches when we're fighting uphill.

If I'm wrong about my perceptions, I'm happy to be corrected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:52 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Wojee wrote:
Campo lets taggers get into his head and gets frustrated with being held off the ball and constantly niggled. What he really needs is an enforcer to legitimately deliver a heavy hit to his tagger early in the game to let them know they're a target as well. We don't have one.

Yes Campo does let it get to him, but there really haven't been too many midfielders who haven't at some stage.

I actually reckon its the biggest blight on our game at the moment. The constant illegal holding and harassment of midfielders at bouncedowns and boundary throw ins...and this isn't a whinge against us specifically...we have our taggers.

Waite is most likely to become that enforced, and I agree we need someone like that. Mark my words, Jarrod will send plenty of players off the grounds on stretchers in his career. Lets hope he learns to do it within the laws and spirit of the game.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

I agree that Campo's game was poor yesterday. He really got sucked in by Rawlings which is disappointing.

However, I don't think we should be too quick to get stuck into him. He has made every effort to change his game since Pagan has taken over. He has showed loyalty to Carlton when he quite easily could have joined the exodus when Pagan decided to get tough.

He led the club in tackles last season and he cops a hell of a lot of punishment off the ball week in week out. I know this happens to every decent midfielder in the league, but the point I'm trying to make is that he doesn't take a backward step and when it's his turn to put his head over the ball he'll do it.

He's not some one who will necessarily win a match off his own boot, but I doubt there would be any opposition coach in the league who wouldn't have him tagged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:12 pm 
Geoff Southby

Kaptain Kouta wrote:
You know the really sad thing?
Synbad is right. He works hard in a team which is on top, but seems to go AWOL when we're struggling.
I know that there are times and places for all sorts, but I wish he'd put in a few hard at it maches when we're fighting uphill.

If I'm wrong about my perceptions, I'm happy to be corrected.

KK, that is cause Campo is primarily an outside player. If the "in and unders" aren;t getting it out to him, his game suffers.

Ronald Reagan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yeah, that's true Killpies. But to be put off your game by Rawlings? that's just shocking. Rawlings had 1, maybe 2 effective disposals yesterday among all the turnovers. And don't forget, he's such a retard that he tripped over his own foot running with the ball...... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

We lack an enforcer

Campo has been getting the Ike Turner treatment for years, and there's never been a John Nicholls around to go and sort out his opponent. We need to be tougher as a unit so Campo can not get so easily frustrated.

WHY OH WHY DID BARRY HALL PICK SYDNEY OVER CARLTON, LEAVING US STUCK WITH THAT TOAD MCKERNAN??????!!!!!?????!!!!??????

Maybe it is time to start some fookin hitting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:36 pm 
Craig Bradley

Synbad wrote:
Until Campo becomes a player that can spark when were down by 5 goals .. to me he will always be a downhill skiier.
approaching 30 and still hasnt been able to do it.
He is never a great player in a side thats down.
However when we win he looks fantastic.

There's certainly some truth in what you say, Sybad. But you might also say that when Campo plays well we do well, and not just the other way round. The reality is we don't have a lot of players with high levels of class and skill. And so when they contribute strongly, we tend to do well. And when they don't, we tend to struggle.

I also agree that as an outside player, it's always a little harder to turn the tide. Although with his increased tackling and defensive pressure in recent years, he plays inside much better than he used to. When compared with any of our other inside players (besides Kouta), he compares reasonably well. (Which probably highlights an area where we struggle quite a bit!)

Regarding yesterday's performance, I'm not sure how much you can draw out of Campo's game. Like he did a bit in the Wizard Cup, they were trying to play him down back in a loose sweeping, rebounding role. But unfortunately, the Kangaroos seemed to prepare fairly well to combat this strategy. And they placed a heavy tag on him. And realistically, Campo is always going to struggle when playing in defence, with a top tagger sitting in his pocket. I think we could have reacted a bit quicker, and either got him up forward much earlier in the game (I think I saw him make a brief appearance up there late in the game), or else into the midfield proper. At least that way, Campo would have had a better chance of winning some ball. And hopefully, it would have forced one of their ball-winning midfielders out of the mix.

In many ways, the Campo issue is one and the same as the Stevens and Lappin issue. Our results will depend a fair bit on how effectively we can free them up, or get them into dangerous positions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:39 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Kaptain Kouta wrote:
Yeah, that's true Killpies. But to be put off your game by Rawlings? that's just shocking. Rawlings had 1, maybe 2 effective disposals yesterday among all the turnovers. And don't forget, he's such a retard that he tripped over his own foot running with the ball...... :roll:

Then as a final lowlight of the day Rawlings kicked a goal in the last quarter :evil:

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Campo started off on Saturday with a magnificent tackle on Glen Archer, however it seemed that this was not enough to get the rest of the midfield fired up.

I think he realises that he has to do more to lift the team rather than "down hill racing" his improvement in tackling is a testimony to that, he needed a little more support against the Roos and there was little forthcoming IMHO. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:27 am 
Bruce Doull

Campo might tackle sometimes.
He might look good when were playing well .
what he doesnt do is when things are going against us... he doesnt pull his head in and run his guts out. What he does do is argue with umpires, get sucked into silly free kicks... then sulk.
Hes been like that ever since Williams , Brown fisnished up and Ratten became innefective because of injuries.
Campo needs to understand he is the senior piece of our midfield.
He has been sucked into being rubbed out already this year. He is almost 30 years old.
To me thats a lack of leadership and responsibility.There is no excuse to some of the things campo does when were down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:06 am 
Bert Deacon

He could became Wayne Shwass if he does not change his ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:27 am 
Garry Crane

In Akers book he talks about handling taggers and how they shit him to no end, especially Licuria. He said that he if they hit him he'd hit them back and he had a difficult period dealing with them.

So the next time he was up against Licuria he just took all the hits and didn't hit back at all. Eventually the sting went out of the blows and Licuria got dis-interested almost.

Someone's gotta tell that story to Campo and MAKE him act on it. Especially against Essendon*, the dirty cauliflower will be trying to knock him out all day.