Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

A final farewell from GoBaggers

I feel that now he has given us some sort of closure.

Nice of him to create the links - OK moving forward now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:38 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I hope thats it for TBV. As GB said at its peak it was the premier football website but resurrecting it would be a mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:42 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Ok...Happy to move on....do we know that Karl Norman is sponsored for this year....and should we be planning for sponsorhip in the future???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

Agreed. A big thanks to GoBaggers for the link and if you haven't had the chance to read the TC welcome message, please do (link in my signature below).

As Denis would say, no time for looking at the past in the rear view mirror.

TBV has provided a legacy for almost every other Carlton forum to follow, for that we must be thankful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:59 pm 
Bruce Comben

Thanks Dom :wink: Cheers!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:03 pm 
Bruce Comben

My gut feel...., Geoff McClure to do a write up on the demise of TBV in Sporting Life :? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:32 pm 
Robert Walls

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthrea ... ge=5&pp=15

Quote:
90% of the money people donated has already gone to Carlton in paying for karl's sponsorship. The rest save $124 has been alocated to paying for TBV for the next year. I don't know what to do with the $124, will probably just donate it to the club.

I'm going to reopen TBV very soon, but only to redirect all the regulars to a number of new carlton websites that are popping up now. There were probably around 1500 regulars on TBV and probably nearly double that lurkers that only read occasionally, maybe 4000 individuals all up that visited on a weekly basis. Now, as Barone has pointed out above there have been maybe a couple of hundred TBVers that have been maintained in the closure/reopening of the new sites, but unless i reopen TBV then most of the others will probably be lost in the abyss. I love carlton and would hate for that to happen, because ultimately that would just hurt the club.

At the moment there are 2 alternatives, either i give the site to the mods i picked to run the old TBV (they're all good carlton people, no worries them running the place well) and i walk away (which i'm going to do anyway, too bitter and hurt), or they go completely new and independent and i just post a message on TBV redirecting everyone to the new websites' url's. At the moment i'm fairly certain the 2nd option will be the go, due to widespread bitterness resentment at me and what transpired on the old TBV. But i can understand that, they're probably deserved in their stance against me. I'll do what i can though to help keep together as much of the TBV community as i can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

I can't say anything about what transpired on TBV between some of the personalities there, but what I will say is that GB, or Dom, is being very big about how best to redirect TBVers to their site of preference.

I for one, would like to thank GoBaggers for TBV, and introducing me to a wide range of Carlton people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

It's sad what has happened with TBV and Dom, but it's also brought the community together in a very positive way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:07 pm 
Garry Crane

buzzaaaah wrote:
I hope thats it for TBV. As GB said at its peak it was the premier football website but resurrecting it would be a mistake.
Why would it be a mistake? Because nobody wants to return there? Have the TBV name been damaged beyond repair in just 3 or 4 days? It seems that the media know and follow the site. The club take an interest in the site. Many casual observers follow the site. The biggest reason of all though is that 4 years of Cazzesmann's VFL reports, Frankie Dardew's training reports, Dannyboy waxing lyrically ... a ready reference libary exists within its forums.

If you guys could walk back over there now with some sort of control, wouldn't you do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:36 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I went back for a look but I'm still banned apparently. :?

Its not about the media recognition ODN, its about being with friends.
A fresh start has been made and its a good place to be.
Its the people that attract the interest and give strength to the site.
As for the club showing an interest, I dont think it will take them long to catch on. :wink:

Like the Blues, we are looking forward to a new and exciting era.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Dom, if you're reading this, thanks for the closing statement on TBV.

Would love to see you back doing the rounds as a regular poster. Who knows, maybe you already are.

Anyway thanks, hope you're doing ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:08 pm 
Craig Bradley

let it be and lets move on :?:

nope - not at all. Dom will never be welcome at my table at the pub.

Its not becuase he took TBV away, its not becuase we all miss it. Rip into me all you want but its becuase of his selfish attitude towards the like of Camel, Headplant, Mrs Caz and many many more that this should never be forgiven.

Forgive - never - Move on yes but never forget and never forgive.

This is and was the ultimate betrayal to many people and it amazes me how many are ready to forgive and forget. This entire saga never need to happen and it was the fault of only one person and one person only.

But i forget myself - it was his site :roll:

His post on TBV at the moment is the least he can do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Dom did a lot of work to bring it up to where it was. A month of madness shouldn't take away three odd years of toil.

What's the point of spending the rest of our lives with a chip on our shoulder?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:12 pm 
Robert Walls

I can't believe this but I'm agreeing with the Pom. Well said Scotty.

Bat + Ball = home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:15 pm 
Ken Hunter

hey at least it gives me a chance to repeat myself and no one need ever know... (cue the sound of crickets)

oh you mean

You knew already :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:16 pm 
Craig Bradley

Deano Supremo wrote:
Dom did a lot of work to bring it up to where it was. A month of madness shouldn't take away three odd years of toil.

i understand that - i really do - but what about Camels work, what about Headplants work, what about all the mods work, what about all the training reports, what about all the game updates etc..

so many put some much time into it - yet he just pulls the pin on it.

selfish act - plain and simple

like i said forgive - no, move on - yes, but never forget

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

fair enough Scotty, and I'm not endorsing Dom's actions in any way, shape or form, but there's no point in getting too negative.

TBV's death could be a positive thing' Look at the kickstart Talking Carlton has had - like Black Friday mark 1 this could be the dark before the dawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

Deano Supremo wrote:

I'm with you Deano, and don't underestimate the benefit of Dom providing links to alternate sites to TBV. Forget Dom's claims of ownership over names, coding and graphics. TBV's real asset is the database of users, and he's effectively given the alternate websites a free hit at that traffic. Under the circumstances that is a great gesture, and one he certainly had no obligation to make.

Further if this thread develops into a character assasination posts will be deleted and the thread may be locked. That said I think its great that so many people are willing to move on and acknowledge the good things that Dom did.

By all means have your opinion, but I think now the time has come to cease stating them publicly. It was a roundabout on TBV towards the end and those of us who were mods on TBV have certainly heard the constructive comments about letting that go on for too long. At least now we won't have to be disciplining the boss, well I hope!

Post subject: Dom
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:24 pm 
Geoff Southby

Hey Dom.thanks fella.Im sure you were doing what you thought was right.Thanks for the incredible amount of work involved.It sure gave me enormous pleasure..............To all those involved in getting this new gig up and running.Huge thanks.Some reckon im a bit of a hard nut.Maybe........but i got a motto............Harbour no grudges and bear no malice............In the end guys,it aint worth it.