Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:50 pm 
Rod Ashman

Location: Feeding the ducks at the Percy Treyvaud Memorial Park
Firstly let me just say a big thank you to Dom for creating TBV and giving us such a wonderful place to play, dream, joke and sadly argue. I missed all the threads that led to TBV's demise so I was dumbstruck when I saw that TBV was closing on Friday. Black Friday Pt 2 indeed. Dom, I hope that your wounds heal quickly. TBV was a wonderful creation, be proud.

I went home depressed and resigned myself to try and find a new internet home. I had visions of TBV'ers scattered forever in cyberspace. Some would land in BigFooty, some at CSC but that core of TBV posters would be gone forever. Last night it was sad. We had beaten the Dees but I had no match report to look forward to, no rants at the injustice of Fevs' report, no idea how I was going to find out who did well in the Bullants game yesterday. This morning I joined CSC. I saw some familiar names, but I didn't feel connected to it. Occasionally, I would click the TBV link just for the hell of it . Then I saw Dom's final message and the link here. Within 30 seconds I knew this is the place to be.

To Camel, Mrs Caz, Chief, BlueChucky, Jarusa, Wolfister and anyone else involved in getting this going so quickly you have my undying gratitute and thanks. Well done!

Last edited by stretford blue on Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

camelboy wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Hello

I was a relative newcomer to the old TBV site and got the shock of my life to see today that it was shutdown.

I live in Canberra, so I have always felt a bit isolated when it comes to being a Mad Carlton Supporter. Some cynics would say you don't follow AFL unless you live in the Mecca of Melbourne. Clearly I would disagree with that statement.

The honest fact is that I have followed the blues since I was young enough to watch Televison (ie pretty young!!). I am now a 'veteran' of 33 years in age and have seen the ups and downs of the famous Dark blues, as no doubt most have you.

I could go on and reiterate the things we all know about this great club, but for me personally the one thing that stands out in the 'new' Carlton approach under Dennis Pagan is this teams workman like, never say die attitude. A case in point is the nerve racking last quarter against the Dees on the weekend. It was edge of the seat stuff, but the kids stuck to their guns and didn't capitulate as perhaps the Carlton of old may have, and we came away with a hard fought victory.

AFL coverage in Canberra is ordinary to say the least (which again points back to the feeling of isolation I mentioned before), so its a blessing to see internet forums such as this being available to keep me in the loop. Of course the added bonus is that I can add my two cents worth and create discussion (or at least I hope too!!) about the blues and AFL in general.

So I say a sincere thankyou to all those people involved with setting up this site and I look forward to being a part of the 'community' of people that make up TalkingCarlton.

GO BLUES! :D

Great story BRMW ... welcome aboard, from a fellow Canberran. ;)

And that makes at least 4 of us here now! Canberra is a Carlton town!!

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:06 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Yeah thanks guys - I was surprised to see TBV shut down but very pleasantly surprised to find it's nearly twin brother now set up. Great stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

Heavs wrote:
Canberra is a Carlton town!!

Yeah.....didn't Aaron Hamill come from Tuggeranong? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

royal parade wrote:
Yeah thanks guys - I was surprised to see TBV shut down but very pleasantly surprised to find it's nearly twin brother now set up. Great stuff!

I remember spotting your username on TBV and thinking, that's a cracking nick. Well done, and welcome aboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:34 pm 
John Nicholls

What a relief! So good to be back with familiar names and a familiar feel. I too joined CSC but like others it was not the same, maybe just a change?
For old time sake I clicked on TBV and here I am!
May we stick together and go from strength to strength. Well done everybody to get this up and running and "Talking Carlton"!
Go Blues!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

hear hear, DB.

That says it all - nothing more to add really.

and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:28 pm 
Bruce Comben

Yes this is definitely the place to be,

good work all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:38 pm 
Trevor Keogh

Read AGRO say on the TalkingIssues forum I think something about having tried the alternative(s), but on finding this site just felt so familiar and so much at home .... and i found myself totally agreeing with him.

I too have adopted this as my "home" site, while continuing to support CBN should it continue and CSC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:58 pm 
Bruce Comben

The heading of this thread says it all. Just "Brilliant". As in infrequent poster, but frequent visitor, I send a heartwarming thank-you to all the people that have got this site up in such a short time. Your combined efforts have been, well, brilliant!