Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Lappin speaks out
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:22 pm 
John Nicholls

Just having a listen to the Back Page on SEN at the moment and in the Australian section an article has quoted Matty Lappin as saying Carltons rise to the WC Grand Final is more impressive than St.Kildas in 2004.

He was quoted as saying this was due to the fact that the Blues were hampered with draft sanctions and have responsed positively in two seasons as opposed to the Saints who have built up to it with low draft picks.

Your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Lappin speaks out
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:26 pm 
Bert Deacon

phoenix johnson wrote:
Just having a listen to the Back Page on SEN at the moment and in the Australian section an article has quoted Matty Lappin as saying Carltons rise to the WC Grand Final is more impressive than St.Kildas in 2004.

He was quoted as saying this was due to the fact that the Blues were hampered with draft sanctions and have responsed positively in two seasons as opposed to the Saints who have built up to it with low draft picks.

Your thoughts?

He's right.

St Kilda have had a fantastic run in the draft since 2000 and have simply achieved what they have based on the simple fact that with that much talent it darn near impossible to fail. However if any club is capable of taking all this talent and STILL not turning it into a premiership it would be the Saints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:27 pm 
Bert Deacon

To add to my post I believe the Saints were referred too some years back in the Age as "Slapstick" which I think really sums up this club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

St.Kilda's, IMO, was always going to come with all those low draft picks. Its was really only a matter of time.

Ours on the other hand has been in a total different way. We have not had the low draft picks and ours is being done by a "real" coach.
2002 and 2003 we was the joke of the AFL, 2004 was the START of what i would like to call our come back tour. Just didnt think it would start this soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

Carlton is still referred to as a team of "rejects" by many while the Saints are referred to as a team of "talented high draft picks".
I think it's a far greater feat to get to anywhere with these supposed castoffs than St Kilda getting to the same point with their plethora of early picks.

Go Skinny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

we could lose to st kilda twice a year for the next 7 years and they could win the flag in each of those years and we would still have twice as many flags and four times the number of victories over them.

We waste our time worrying about them - they are under achievers and won their only flag out of dumb luck. Finals is not the Business of the St Kilda football club

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Well said Lappin. It's basically what we've been saying on here and TBV for the past 3 years.

The saints don't concern me. They're a shit club going nowhere.

I'm just concerned with getting to number 17 before those bastards from windy hill. I'm totally confident we'll do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:22 am 
Stephen Kernahan

St.Kilda.... what's the point of them? I don't know, call me old fashioned, but.......... (etc etc)