Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:20 am 
Rod Ashman

His first game taking on his old team.

How do u think he will go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:37 am 
Ken Hunter

[img]PUMPED![/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:40 am 
Bruce Comben

And another thing, who did WC pick up at pick 57, looks a good trade to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:40 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

May get the job on Judd if Bannister is required elsewhere....Eagles will know how he plays and may give him more attention than he has received in preceeding games, be a good test for him if its a physical game..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:50 am 
Harry Vallence

Chambers will be fired up and out to prove a point. Would love to see him have a superb game.

Also, I'm sure his input will be important this week in the lead up to the match. He probably knows more about the games of his former teammates than his current ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:57 am 
Rod Ashman

slow_mo wrote:
Chambers will be fired up and out to prove a point. Would love to see him have a superb game.

Also, I'm sure his input will be important this week in the lead up to the match. He probably knows more about the games of his former teammates than his current ones.

Yeah good point could be a big part of us winning the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:48 am 
Harry Vallence

very good luck to the lad, and may he leave them all in his wake......

and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:04 pm 
Wayne Johnston

All Callum needs to is contribute to the Pagan team plan. I'd be disappointed if he tries to take on the world by himself. ATM we are a team of contributors with an individual part to play.

That said I hope he boots 5 :wink:

Go blues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:21 pm 
Rod McGregor

goblueorgohome wrote:
And another thing, who did WC pick up at pick 57, looks a good trade to me!

www.footydraft.com wrote:
Brad Smith

Details:
Club: Subiaco
DOB: 11 May 1979 Hgt: 192cm Wgt: 102kg
Position: Full Forward
Natural Foot: Right

Strengths: Smith is a big powerful forward who has dominated the WAFL over the past two seasons, winning the Bernie Naylor Medal for the leading goalkicker.

Brad kicked 84 goals in 2003 and 109 this year, including 5 in the Grand Final that saw his side Subiaco win the premiership. He is AFL ready and could have an immediate impact.

Weaknesses: 26 next year, Smith is a short-term solution for the club that drafts him. Not overly mobile.

Footydraft.com comment: Could he be this year's Troy Wilson? Attracting strong interest from Fremantle, who are need a key forward to perform next year.

As history would have it, Brad Smith has done his knee and will miss the year, and who knows whether WC will retain him at the end of the year? As things have turned out, therefore, we have been the big winners, but we never will know what could have been for WC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the Brad Smith who spent 2 years on the Pies list and failed miserably as a ruckman? I know he's a big guy, but this was a surprising choice for mine.

Back on to the topic at hand, some posters have offered up Chambers to tag Judd. Are we expecting a bit too much of Chambers? He's kicked a few goals but I really don't think we should expect him to go anywhere near drawing level with Judd. Fact is, he is quick and seems to have a nice kick on him. Anything more is just pre-season hope, or am I being unfair?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:01 pm 
Rod McGregor

According to this article, Smith Gets His Chance, Brad Smith trained with WC as an 18 year old but missed 2 years through hepatitis and glandular fever before returning to Subiaco in the WAFL from where he was drafted.

As for Chambers, I also have doubts about the wisdom of matching him with Judd. Chambers is a mature player who is an offensive weapon. He is fast and is a long, raking kick for goal. Do we want his offensive role blunted by the daunting task of applying a hard tag to Judd? Has he demonstrated the ability to shut down a key centre-square midfielder? I would think the answer to both questions is no. If Pagan wants to see how he handles a new role, the Wiz Cup may be the place to do it, but on the other hand a more suitable match-up should be found. For instance, a match-up on Embley might be interesting although being 5 cm shorter might expose CC in the Eagles F50. But I'd prefer to have him on the other wing playing wide of his man, throwing down the gauntlet to his opponent to make as much of an impact as he will hopefully make.

Far better to give the job on Judd to Bannister, who beat him the first time we played them last year. The wet conditions may have assisted Bannister, but in the case of Bannister it is an opportune time to see if he can be our Stenglein or Kirk. An alternative is Walker who should be able to match Judd for speed. A benefit of this match-up would be that Walker would be taken to the ball by Judd and he would learn a helluva lot about how a tall, pacy midfielder should play. For a young bloke who occasionally looks a bit lost, that would be an invaluable opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:14 pm 
John Nicholls

Better the devil you know.
Bannister to take Judd.

It was reported on TBV that Lappin has come out and said that the Carlton midfield will be a bit more negating this weekend.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:35 pm 
Rod McGregor

By the way, when the boys were doing their warm-ups at the start of yesterday's training, Pagan left the other coaches and walked to the players and took Bannister aside. He had a 2 minute conversation with him. Pago was doing most of the talking, while Bannister, with hands on hips, listened. Pago was letting his hands do a fair bit of talking. I couldn't really tell whether he was giving him a spray or giving him some special instructions. Pagan then walked back to the other coaches and Bannister resumed his warm-up.

This is not much to go on. It was important enough for Pago to interrupt the warm-up. Given that Bannister was next to some teammates doing their warm-up during the conversation, I would think this perhaps lessens the chance of it being a spray. It would be a bit strange to wait for the beginning of Wed training to have a go at a player - it's a bit hard to justify anger in that situtation. So if I had to place a bet on it, I would think that Pagan was giving him a special mission - Judd - and was telling him what he expected Bannister to do during training to prepare for and justify that match-up.

Maybe reading the Horoscope might be a bit more reliable than the above though :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:43 am 
Bob Chitty

I hope he lives up to the cliche and just plays them like they're any other team. He's been such a find while just playing his game, he shouldn't refocus on trying to show his old club how good a player he is......

Just like I said to a Weagles fan today - thank god they were so blessed they could let go of someone that they must have known was pure class!
:P
House

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:55 am 
Bruce Doull

How will he go?

Like a Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:16 am 
Craig Bradley

Mav wrote:
By the way, when the boys were doing their warm-ups at the start of yesterday's training, Pagan left the other coaches and walked to the players and took Bannister aside. He had a 2 minute conversation with him. Pago was doing most of the talking, while Bannister, with hands on hips, listened. Pago was letting his hands do a fair bit of talking. I couldn't really tell whether he was giving him a spray or giving him some special instructions. Pagan then walked back to the other coaches and Bannister resumed his warm-up.

This is not much to go on. It was important enough for Pago to interrupt the warm-up. Given that Bannister was next to some teammates doing their warm-up during the conversation, I would think this perhaps lessens the chance of it being a spray. It would be a bit strange to wait for the beginning of Wed training to have a go at a player - it's a bit hard to justify anger in that situtation. So if I had to place a bet on it, I would think that Pagan was giving him a special mission - Judd - and was telling him what he expected Bannister to do during training to prepare for and justify that match-up.

Maybe reading the Horoscope might be a bit more reliable than the above though :oops:

i reckon there is alot to go buy that.

Banno wasnt happy he got taken off on saturday - and i think Pagan, being Pagan has put it straight to Banno - You are getting Judd - prove to me and yourself you should be getting these tasks every single week.

Simply put while Banno is no snail, he isnt as fast as Judd, but banno also has the fitness to get around the ground and give Judd a bloody hard time of it.

Wouldnt mind seeing Carazzo on Cousins either.

Banno on Judd, Carazzo on Cousins both can perform a task while getting their hands on the ball, very happy with Carazzo last week. He si close to being a starting 22 in my eyes. If he got the job on Cousins and did it will, it would cement his spot IMO.

Then you have stevens playing as well as the "ball winner"

With Bananaby as the main ruck.

Kouta roaming around the ground and around the ball ups with Camp and Lappin working as they did against the bullduds, swapping from forward to defence as the game needs it.

Fev & Lance running amuck in the forward line.

T-Bird, Livo and Teague keeping our defence strong.

You know what, the more and more i think about it, the more and more i see the possibility of us winning become more likely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:32 am 
Robert Walls

Good luck to Chambers, these games are always great to stick it up your old team, especially in a Grand Final. Show em what there missing out on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:36 am 
Geoff Southby

Banno is much better as a midfield tagger than a BP, Johnson out-thought him on a couple of occasions. But if WOrsfold takes Judd out of the middle to play FP to get away from Banno, then I'd say Pagan has won the tactical fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:42 am 
Craig Bradley

molsey wrote:
Banno is much better as a midfield tagger than a BP, Johnson out-thought him on a couple of occasions. But if WOrsfold takes Judd out of the middle to play FP to get away from Banno, then I'd say Pagan has won the tactical fight.

thats a win hands down

take out judd and put him up forward - banno follows

bring in kouta

its a two fold win for the blues.

its actually a very handy match up for us - we can accept Banno getting less than 10 possessions. But the Wealges will suffer if Judd gets less than 10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:54 am 
Geoff Southby

you'd have to settle for Judd getting less than 20...