Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Arrogance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I know it is early.

I know it is only the wizzer cup.

I know we are still rebuilding.

But I can sense something returning that has been gone for a long time.

Call it arrogance, call it confidence, call it whatever you want. But we, the army of the Navy Blue know it is returning. We may not be able to describe the feeling to any of the unbelievers. But we can look another Navy Blue in the eye, give a little nod and both know what we are feeling.

That sensation that courses through your veins. You know the blues are up and about. You fully expect them to do the impossible week in week out. No opposition is unbeatable anymore.

It is returning.

Last edited by Jarusa on Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

I was a nice Carlton supporter pre spoon, but sorry it's gonna be @#$%&! the lot of 'em when we start winning again. If I'm going to be accused of being an arrogant Carlton supporter I may as well live up to the hype!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:33 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

I think the last three years have changed the perspective of all Carlton supporters. We now have a returned craving for success and we won't treat anything for granted anymore. We have been the butt of all jokes over the last 3 years and it's going to be payback once we start playing finals again.
The Carlton Community will only come back stronger after the 2002-2003 debarcle.

Carn the Blues!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:35 pm 
John James

It's nice to be back in the game again, we were so far off the mark in 2002 and 2003 it was embarassing. People patronising you for being a Carlton supporter wore thin very quickly.

The lows of 02 and 03 kind of numbed my footy feelings a bit so that I could cope with it. Last year our wins were good, but they were "nothing to lose" wins. I'm looking forward to wins as a serious contender again, but I do get your point Jarusa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

It would seem that even on BF there is a sense of fear in opposition supporters' posts.

Fear - it's apparent in the way they deride us - but without the outlandish rubbish that they posted when we were really down.

Fear - it's apparent in the way that they're looking at their own sides and trying to make excuses.

Fear - it's apparent in the way that they're not making Fatnall jokes anymore.

When the rest of the comp fears us, then we have them on the ropes already. Pagan always says it's 90% in the head - let's prove him right!

- Igor Stravinsky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:31 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Great to see you again Clem - I'm not the only Sydney sider anymore!

The other fifteen teams have had their couple of years in the sun, when they didn't have to worry about Carlton. Those days are dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:41 am 
Craig Bradley

camelboy wrote:
I was a nice Carlton supporter pre spoon, but sorry it's gonna be F@%&#! the lot of 'em when we start winning again. If I'm going to be accused of being an arrogant Carlton supporter I may as well live up to the hype!

fair call that - i like to think im reasoned in my approach to other teams, but this shit i copped during the "dark times" well, lets just say, it is on :twisted: as we get more and more successfull.

At the height of a fit of fury with about 5 different mates i made long standing bets for a slab of jimmy cans on who would win a flag first. Carlton, Bummers and Collinfilth.

I feel alot more confident now :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:35 am 
Ken Hunter

Arrogance. They haven't seen anything yet. I can feel it amongst our supporters, it's returning. Our presence as a powerfull unit is just about there. I can feel it my bones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:30 am 
Wayne Johnston

Oh and while that wheel turns ever so slightly, The ever confident Bombers and Pies supporters are beginning to wonder where there next win is coming from.

Winning form is good form as proven by the success rate of the Wizard Cup finalists over the past 6 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

My unofficial Carlton slogan is this:

Carlton: Don't expect us to be humble when we're back on top

I'm not saying we're there yet, but I can feel it building! I LIKE this feeling!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:26 pm 
Craig Bradley

the lid is "offically" off and most likely has been for sometime

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

Its building all right. ijn both games i was amazed at the amount of 'other' supporters sitting with us in our territory. Not the way it used to be. Sure there was always some fools, but usually they were with carlton people, but over the past two or so years I think opposition supporters have sought us out so they could enjoy the drubbings.

The past two weeks it has been a joy to see so many 'others' sitting around us. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet it starts to ebb now though 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

camelboy wrote:
I was a nice Carlton supporter pre spoon, but sorry it's gonna be F@%&#! the lot of 'em when we start winning again. If I'm going to be accused of being an arrogant Carlton supporter I may as well live up to the hype!

Camel, there will be no holding back and people will be paid back with interest for the drivel we have endured over the past 3 years. :evil:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:37 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Our 2003 membership slogan was "Its pay back time".

I reckon that should be our slogan for this year.

What makes things even better is that both Essenscum & The filth are looking pretty ordinary - particularly with both Buckley & Hird at the end of their carrers and not much young talent coming through.

Yeh - I'm an arrogant Carlton supporter.........stiff shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:39 am 
Geoff Southby

Agree Humpers, and that's the best bit. While the Bombers trump their team full of Hennemans (surely Bradley is related - both joke players!) and the Pies their team full of Shaws - and thus fall down the ladder, Carlton can at least grind their faces in the dirt. Its been easy to bag Tigers fans, but it will be more fun this year.

My only problem is I think there is more natural ability in some of the other clubs, particularly the Bulldogs. I live in the west of melbourne in a street of doggies fans and they think Im a blueblood and wont hesitate to push me around as they climb the ladder. Others may disagree of course but Cooney, Ray, Faulkner etc. are exciting. My hope is that the better Coach prevails and Mr.Pagan does the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:44 am 
Bruce Comben

Arrogance - well, as long as we can beat the Bombers are the Pies consistently (as we have been!), i think the self-belief will follow.

It remains to be seen whether Port and Brisbane can be beaten - i think they are the mental barriers today. On paper we have a team that can take it up to any team - however i still think they are also capable of 100 point losses on their day ;)

It's early days yet..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:53 am 
Bruce Doull

Port, Brisbane, Geelong, St Kilda are the teams which would appear the strongest.

Let's face it though, none of them can match the sort of faith in their team that we have.
Port - SA Powerhouse? Here's 40 cents, call someone who cares
Brisbane - still building the rusted-on faithful
Geelong - Very faithful fans, but the team has given them disappointment bettered only by Collingwood.
St Kilda - The only thing this team has delivered consistently is failure. It would shake the world to its very foundations of St Kilda supporters if they actually bucked the trend and became successful.

Dan....get back to work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:54 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Molsey,

I agree that the W Bulldogs have more class in the running/midfield department - however they don't have forwards such as Whitnall & Fev. Time will tell I guess.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:04 am 
Ken Hunter

Arrogance?

They aint seen nuthin' yet , make no mistake number 17 is gonna be the best yet!

We've got a lot of people to stick it up....

and I cant wait! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:09 am 
Rod Ashman

Of course we're going to be arrogant. Carlton supporters always have been. And given the ridicule and pain that we have had to endure collectively and the contempt and pleasure shown by all non-Carlton at our downfall in the past three years, I believe the footballing public will see a level of Carlton arrogance never experienced before if we're pushing for the sharp end of the ladder come September.

I have stood by and copped the abuse as I have had little to fire back with (besides the most successful club comeback) and been taking it on the chin but I cant wait to get stuck into the rest of 'em when we're winning regularly again. I mean the level of ridicule, especially from the perennial losers st.kilda, has been extraordinary. You can cop it from the scummers fans as at least they are almost as successful as Carlton, but from the aints!!! I mean they should be the last to open their mouths... :roll:

And they have all loved it. It took the communist system of the draft and salary cap to bring us down. Until then we had always been thereabouts in terms of finals. We are now living in the climate forced upon us and we will get back up there again soon. Very soon I think!!! 8)