Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: The Age
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:01 am 
Robert Walls

Tipped us to finish 12th but Caroline has picked us for the eight!

Can't find the link but here's the story on Fev

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/03/07/1110160753245.html?oneclick=true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:57 am 
Robert Walls

We got a pretty decent run this morning. Almost two full pages of Carlton news, comment and piccies.

Good for getting the kiddies excited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:18 am 
Harry Vallence

all the others picked us at 12's, 13's and Caroline tips us for seventh. Not sure whether to be shattered, stumped, or surprised.

and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:21 am 
Rod Ashman

but did anyone see the abysmal right ups of the game in sunday's age. one from mark fuller (whoever he might be) who tried to sustain a long dull schoolboy standard analogy between the game and a (bull)dog with diarrhoea (is that the hardest word in the language to spell or what).

greg baum, who is usually okay, then had a long almost as tedious piece about the game as a formula one race....

Forget the pullitzer boys, just give us the facts, tell us what happened, how it happened, why it happened and what it means. Be reporters, don't try and be 'writers'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:37 am 
Ken Hunter

yeah leave that to us 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:39 am 
Craig Bradley

Reckon Fullers piece was written in ten minutes after several beers.....'.Seemed like a good idea at the time'....

Have yet to see todays Age

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Karen Lyon did the write up for The Age rating today. She finished by saying that we'd go a long way toward shaping the final 8 and then tipped us to finish 14th... :lol:

I love it when people underestimate Carlton.

It just sets it up for a SMACK to the head come late in the season (although by that point they all be saying how we were the obvious improvers :? ).

Caro picked us at 7th. Yet again the only journo with any guts. If you look at the rest of the "experts" you'll find that all their tips so far have merely shuffled clubs 1-2 spaces from their final positions last year. Aside from the fact that I can't remember a year where there wasn't a bolter or a club self-imploding it just goes to show how conservative our football media can be. The ladder changes enormously from year to year and yet the "experts" ratings look remarkably similar to the previous year's final ladder every March.

Carlton finish 11th, regain an in-form Whitnall, add significant pace and depth, build up their young players' size, make the grand final of the pre-season competition, lose no players of any importance, get a year under their belts playing as a group, go into the season proper with almost no injuries and suddenly we're going to drop to 14th?

Good one Karen... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:18 am 
Ken Hands

I simply don't get it. We are a better team than Collingwood and Essendon* and we will show it this year. Is every journo out there scare of Eddie and Malthouse and Sheeds ?
There are no other reason why all of them are picking Collingwood , Essendon* to finish higher than Carlton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:39 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I'm more devastated that they have the Kangaroos above us with them having a dud coach and McKernan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:56 am 
Craig Bradley

Laserkid wrote:
I simply don't get it. We are a better team than Collingwood and Essendon* and we will show it this year. Is every journo out there scare of Eddie and Malthouse and Sheeds ?
There are no other reason why all of them are picking Collingwood , Essendon* to finish higher than Carlton.

hit ... nail ... head

but like GWS said, let them underestimate us, and we shall laugh, no, we shall point and then laugh at all that dismissed us so easily.

watch the worm turn when we win on saturday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:59 am 
Bert Deacon

Does it really matter where they pick us to finish?

We will finish where we finish. For me I really don't care where we finish as long as our long term plan is on track - our 17th Premiership.

After all, that's all that really matters.

We won't finish last and we won't finish first and nobody really gives us a chance of the top 4 - fine with me.

GWS said it best "I love it when people underestimate Carlton." and I think they have again - now its up to us to stick it to them.

Much Gnashing of teeth ahead for opposition supporters this year :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:03 am 
Bert Deacon

I don't care where these morons predict we shall finish.
By all means underestimate The Mighty Blues. Then at the end of the season try and justify why you get paid a shit load of money for your uninformed dribble.
Unfortunately the standard of sporting journalism continues to slide. Thankfully we have our own geniuses that cover training.
Regards Pedro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:48 pm 
Harry Vallence

Are we really surprised? The sports journos have been underestimating Carlton for as long as I can remember.

Even in 95 they picked Geelong to beat us in the GF because we were 'due for a loss'. Not to mention anyone giving us a chance in hell of winning the Prelim in '99.

At least as Carlton supporters, we can feel safe in the knowledge that we are on the verge of achieving greatness. Let the rest of them find out the hard way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The media have given Carlton "short shrift" for years - if anyone of my era recalls our great team of the late 70s and early 80s - which won 3 flags in 4 years (79, 81, 82) was and is given no credit for being one of the great teams of the modern era. :evil:

And if it wasn't for Malcolm Blight calling our 95 team the greatest side ever - there would have been not much credit going on for that side either - gee weren't the media thankful when Essendon* won the 2000 flag and only lost 1 game in the process. :roll:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:45 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

JacksBoy wrote:
I'm more devastated that they have the Kangaroos above us with them having a dud coach and McKernan.

There at least a couple of rabid Roo fans on the Age staff including the reporter that wrote Carltons review.

Where people place us is irrelevant. It doesnt affect what Denis and the boys do on the field. Melb and Geelong were 2 of the wooden spoon favourites last year. Melb was top at Rd 18 and geelong finished 4th

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:51 pm 
John James

I thought Robert Walls' article in The Age today was positive, but I suppose that isn't too surprising.

At least we seem to have one ally in the press.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

I think Denis would love to see those predictions. He likes to go very quietly about sticking it up the press's clacker.

I have my doubts any of the opposition coaches will be underestimating us this year. They'll know at the very least that very few of them have a big enough defence to combat Whitnall, Fevola, Kouta and Deluca in full flight, and they'll be dreading playing us the day that really clicks.