Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Why Bother
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:46 am 
Harry Vallence

Quote:
Essendon* coach Kevin Sheedy would allow a player to miss a pre-season final for a family commitment.

"Yes, I would. It wouldn't worry me," Sheedy said. "If it was my sister getting married, I'd be probably going."

Bl**dy Sheedy - gets his nose in everywhere!

Who cares what he thinks, and why in a Carlton story is his view relevant?

Oh yeah, its here:http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12476043%255E20322,00.html

and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:48 am 
Rod Ashman

Mind your own business Sheeds!!! :twisted:

I agree with him though.

Interesting to hear Collo's view on all this in the numerous interviews he has given in the last 24 hours. He pretty much expects Nick to play on Saturday night and doesn't mind mentioning the contractual obligations Nick has to make himself available. Can the Stevens family postpone it a week perhaps? The clubs have a week off before season proper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:21 am 
Laurie Kerr

Wonder if the senile old bastard will be going for Carlton this week, given his past bleating about Victorians supporting Essendon* against interstate sides in finals :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:19 pm 
Ken Hunter

marciblue wrote:
Interesting to hear Collo's view on all this in the numerous interviews he has given in the last 24 hours. He pretty much expects Nick to play on Saturday night and doesn't mind mentioning the contractual obligations Nick has to make himself available.

Sorry, but I think these statements just should not be made by anyone within our club. They serve no purpose and just leave Nick and the club open to more scrutiny.
I know I'm picking on poor Collo again. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:27 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Its a wizzer cup final not real footy...Collo and others need to lighten up...
I would rather Stevens attend the wedding and come back a contented and happy camper ready for the real season ahead.
To be honest I couldnt tell you who won the last five wizzer cups and couldnt care either.....Denis Pagan is right that family come first and I hope Stevens does what makes him happy.
It also gives some responsibility to a younger player to make up the slack and thats good for development of younger players...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:30 pm 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:
marciblue wrote:
Interesting to hear Collo's view on all this in the numerous interviews he has given in the last 24 hours. He pretty much expects Nick to play on Saturday night and doesn't mind mentioning the contractual obligations Nick has to make himself available.

Sorry, but I think these statements just should not be made by anyone within our club. They serve no purpose and just leave Nick and the club open to more scrutiny.
I know I'm picking on poor Collo again. :roll:

Spot on. Collo should leave the football department to those people entrusted to run it. I'd be pissed off if my line manager said it was my call, and then the CEO publicly put pressure on me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:50 pm 
Rod Ashman

I agree with you both Surrey and Steve.

Collo is a good wordsmith and he wasn't too vague about what he sees as Nick's obligations to the club.
Mentioned that he is a professional sportsmen, and that he is well compensated commensurate to his ability and that his obligations include making himself available to represent the club. And given that this is a grand final (albeit only the wizzer) then he was pretty much saying that his excuse was inadequate. He also pretty much stated that planning the wedding at this time of year was poor scheduling by the Stevens family.

When pressed further about what action he would take if Nick chose to attend the wedding Collo did not care to elaborate. I just hope that given the media build up surrounding this decision and the pressure being placed on Stevens, that it doesn't drive a wedge between he and the club should he decide against making himself available for the GF and how certain people at the club react to that decision. Or also, if he chooses to play due to club pressure and then holds lingering regret and resentment towards Carlton for making him turn his back on his brother and family and pass on the opportunity to be best man at his brothers wedding. A delicate situation indeed.

I was a tad disappointed to hear Collo air publicly his firm views on this matter and left no uncertainty of the decision he considers appropriate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:08 pm 
Ken Hunter

I was a tad hesitant about brining this up today but I'm glad others have also seen it this way. We don’t need any friction within the club now that all the hard work is almost over and we also need Collo to sign Pagan up as quickly as possible so the natives can't keep beating this drum.

Post subject: Re: Why Bother
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:26 pm 
Bruce Comben

The Vet wrote:
Quote:
Essendon* coach Kevin Sheedy would allow a player to miss a pre-season final for a family commitment.

"Yes, I would. It wouldn't worry me," Sheedy said. "If it was my sister getting married, I'd be probably going."

Bl**dy Sheedy - gets his nose in everywhere!

Who cares what he thinks, and why in a Carlton story is his view relevant?

Oh yeah, its here:http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12476043%255E20322,00.html

I agree here totally vet , who cares what Sheeds thinks.

really he is also trying to play down his own sides worries at present. Implying that he is not overly concerned with wizard cup results

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:38 pm 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:
I was a tad hesitant about brining this up today but I'm glad others have also seen it this way. We don’t need any friction within the club now that all the hard work is almost over and we also need Collo to sign Pagan up as quickly as possible so the natives can't keep beating this drum.

yup, especially when the football department seems to be working so well at the moment. And I mean in all aspects, not just onfield. Recruiting, player management, contracts, etc. We seem to be heading in the right direction....