Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Who misses......
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:16 pm 
John James

the REAL Carlton Social Club?

Yeah, y'know, the one at Princes Park, the one that doesn't need posters to be blu-tacked up on game day.

The one that has the huge arse TV that overlooks everyone as soon as you walk in. It's not the latest model in the shed, it's about 20 years old, but really, if there was anything that was symbolic of the way Carlton operates, it's that TV. Hasn't changed much in 20 years, still makes you stand back and think "gee whiz, that's a top TV", if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The one where younguns such as myself go to buy beer, even when at times underage, and ID checks consist of "Are you over 18? Righto ok, here you go.". And that beer is relatively affordable. Not "genuine 1976 prices", mind you, but thrifty enough to leave you with enough change to pick up a hot dog and record on your way to your seat.

The one that has pokies. Crap pokies. Crap pokies that the local old buggers crave. The local old buggers who don't give a stuff what's going on for the proceeding 2 hours or who wins or loses. The 2c fruit machines are available and there's a bucket full of $1 coins to be lost.

The one that has the most impressive trophy cabinet in the league. That same trophy cabinet that just lurks in a corner, not to be shown off, but is just there, commanding respect from inch to inch, trophy to trophy, deflated football to deflated football, picture to picture, newspaper clipping to newspaper clipping. It's like the bloke in the group of mates that you see at Crown every weekend. He's the biggest by a foot, he's the oldest by about 5 years, and he's the only one not starting fights or stuffing around. He knows who everyone looks up to and needs not show it off.

The one that has the help desk that contains Carlton people. Not people who go home at the end of their 9-5 shift for minimum AFL wage, people care about the club. People who you can go up to and ask how the boys are going on the track and get an educated answer. Because they give a shit. "Gee whiz, who's that huge bloke who just walked in? One of the new recruits?" "Oh yep, that's Callum. Great guy, been tearing up the track. Absolutely loves it here."

Most importantly of all, the one that adjoins onto the little dugout that remains the only AFL venue in the league that still serves banana flavoured Big M at the footy. None of this poncy ice coffee shit. No sports drinks here, no siree. It's flavoured milk, stuff you drink when you brave the elements to sit in the outer and forgot your flask and be met with the breeze running across the ground, and navy blue isn't just seen on 18 blokes running around the park, but on your fingertips too.

Yes, the rest of the ground, for mine, you can torch. Seating gives you more splinters than Kade Simpson got in the whole of season 2003. Only feasible way to get to the ground is a crowded tram where frequently you will be bailed up by someone only wanting to talk about "the wonderful Robbie Flower" and how much of a treacherous snake he is to the Melbourne Football Club, or how you wonder just how long John from the social club can keep offering hot food and cold drinks after the game.

But you see someone at Optus, you know they're not a poser. Whether it be the 80 year old Italian bloke in the Pratt stand who after being in this country for over 60 years still doesn't speak a word of English but knows the rules of the game and the player's strengths and weaknesses like the back of his hand, or the 4 year old in his first season, continually tugging at Dad's trousers to take him out to oval 1 for a kick.

Can you say the same about Telstra Dome? Brings success, but as Easter draws closer, you see the likeness of Carlton making it's home at the Dome to an Easter Egg....it's all chocolates instead of boiled lollies at the moment, but it's as twice as hollow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:25 pm 
John Nicholls

Quote:
or how you wonder just how long John from the social club can keep offering hot food and cold drinks after the game.

Oh how I pine for the days when Jonathan will return and take the new Social Club by storm.
The man was an icon of the club, I tells ya.

Optus Oval Social Club...the only place you'll ever see David Cloke walk around with god awful brown cord pants and actually think they are alright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

you've seen the last of Jonathon, boys.

I think you lot scared him all the way back to Wales! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:33 pm 
John Nicholls

Mrs Caz wrote:
you've seen the last of Jonathon, boys.

I think you lot scared him all the way back to Wales! :lol:

I'll pay for the mans airfare home if it means he will get behind the bar again.
Have never met a nice bloke behind the bar than Jonathan.

Perhaps they could get Barb.

I tell you if they did, the Sticks room would be packed everytime we played at the Dome such is her pull with the Carlton faithful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:36 pm 
John James

You know what the Victory Room needs?

Well, other than some substance, something that makes me actually think it's a Carlton room, and breakdancing strippers?

A maitre'd. (sp?)

Harf fulfills the role of host very well, but very rarely mingles with the common people (and with good reason after the game on Saturday night, although I still reckon at least one of you should have come with me to give him a group hug)

Get someone, female or otherwise, to mingle with us. Preferably a past player or a notable (Dave Hughes? Tony Barber?) to walk around the room, get group conversations going, make people feel like it's Cheers, where everybody knows their name, and more importantly reason to fork out the $150 or so for the priviledge to come back during the season.

Eliminate the little cliques that form in each part of the room. By the mid year break, it should be the goal of those running the place to have the Victory Room inhibitants as one group. Someone walks in, everyone else knows who it is.

At the moment, that's not going to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:40 pm 
John Nicholls

If they were to do that, I'd suggest Mandy Hunter.
Very nice lady and is a big hit with the male demographic.
Kenny certainly has done well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:42 pm 
Craig Bradley

well why dont you be the first to go over and introduce yourself.

it builds slowly - success on Saturday Night will go a long way to creating the atmosphere at the Sticks Room that we have at the old social club.

It started with a few getting together for a few beers before the first Wizzer cup game, now more are coming along, and more and more will continue to come along.

It will only get better if we all put an effort into making the place the place to be before and after the games at TD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:43 pm 
John James

Nah, I wouldn't go for a set of tits. Just doesn't work and is counterproductive to what you'd be setting out to achieve.

Communities aren't built on tits. Just ask the Amish.

When I say female, I mean non-threatening female, someone that's not going to attract the drunken barflies constantly asking for tits out.

Sam Lane, perhaps. Is a credible Carlton person, and I seem to be in the minority when I say she's quite fine. Would perhaps be a win-win there, as people still see her as Tim's kid rather than a credible journalist.

You want someone who will know when to get Carlton supporters talking about the match at hand, and when to shut them up so Harf can interview the boys (hard enough hearing them as it is), and have enough footy knowledge to pull it off seamlessly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

I've been a Carlton member all my adult life (last 14 years) and I've not once stepped into the social club. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:45 pm 
John Nicholls

ScottSaunders wrote:

it builds slowly - success on Saturday Night will go a long way to creating the atmosphere at the Sticks Room that we have at the old social club.

It started with a few getting together for a few beers before the first Wizzer cup game, now more are coming along, and more and more will continue to come along.

It will only get better if we all put an effort into making the place the place to be before and after the games at TD.

Good point, Scotty.

Has only been opened for 3 weeks now.

As Kevin Costner once said...

"Build it and they will come"

In this case, build the atmosphere and the friends that come along and soon enough the plac will be packed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:46 pm 
Craig Bradley

Cammo wrote:
Nah, I wouldn't go for a set of tits. Just doesn't work and is counterproductive to what you'd be setting out to achieve.

Communities aren't built on tits. Just ask the Amish.

When I say female, I mean non-threatening female, someone that's not going to attract the drunken barflies constantly asking for tits out.

Sam Lane, perhaps. Is a credible Carlton person, and I seem to be in the minority when I say she's quite fine. Would perhaps be a win-win there, as people still see her as Tim's kid rather than a credible journalist.

You want someone who will know when to get Carlton supporters talking about the match at hand, and when to shut them up so Harf can interview the boys (hard enough hearing them as it is), and have enough footy knowledge to pull it off seamlessly.

she is doing that with the Generation Blue crew - which i hope everyone here is a member off if they are of the appropriate age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:48 pm 
John James

One must consider this however.

What's the place going to be like come round one, when it's no longer come one, come all, and you must show your social club membership at the door?

We, as TalkingCarlton members have certainly done our bit in helping create a mood for the place, but how many of us have social club memberships to carry on the good work in 2 weeks time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:50 pm 
Craig Bradley

phoenix johnson wrote:
ScottSaunders wrote:

Good point, Scotty.

Has only been opened for 3 weeks now.

As Kevin Costner once said...

"Build it and they will come"

In this case, build the atmosphere and the friends that come along and soon enough the plac will be packed.

yep - like i said, there was probably 10 or so that came along on the first wizzer cup game, a few more the next, and the last game we probably had 15-20 or so.

It will build as people get a "relationship" with each other and that inturn will foster more people coming along.

I think its a pretty easy going group to be honest - and one thing i was considering is actually posting on TBV as well as CSC to get them all to come along and foster the community as well, but i thought i would wait for us to get a few weeks into it before i start promoting the events on TBV and CSC.

That is not to say they cant come now, if anyone of them are reading this they are all more than welcome to come along, but eventually i would like to post on all three sites and hopefully get people from each to come along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

Cammo wrote:
One must consider this however.

What's the place going to be like come round one, when it's no longer come one, come all, and you must show your social club membership at the door?

We, as TalkingCarlton members have certainly done our bit in helping create a mood for the place, but how many of us have social club memberships to carry on the good work in 2 weeks time?

very true - but im a social club member.

And most are as well arent they?

Who isnt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:53 pm 
John Nicholls

Me.

Still haven't got my membership yet.
Am organising it on the Family Day.
Am considerinf the SC option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:57 pm 
John James

ScottSaunders wrote:
very true - but im a social club member.

And most are as well arent they?

Who isnt?

Not me, yet anyway. Still trying to work out thru the myriad that is the AFL website what upgrade is necessary for me and how much it works out to be.

Considering it, but still weighing up the options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I miss the polystyrene CFC monogram.

Should get to 5 or 6 games throughout the regular season and as usual will be there in the new Sticks room talking crap to anybody and everybody until we get kicked out.

The room has all the ambiance of an air hangar, but the people inside have a duty to have a few drinks and talk crap. Eventually all that footy talk will stick to the walls of the place and the echoes will start to be heard.

When you enter the old social club you can hear the echoes of decades of drunk talk, it makes the place special.

Time to create some *hic* echoes at TD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:03 pm 
John James

Thank you! Someone who looks past my grumbles about the Victory Room and sees my post as what it was intended to be, reflecting on the greatness that is our real social club!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:05 pm 
John Nicholls

Cammo wrote:
Thank you! Someone who looks past my grumbles about the Victory Room and sees my post as what it was intended to be, reflecting on the greatness that is our real social club!

I miss the morning breakfasts at training.