Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 11:29 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I'm more concerned about Williams' ability to see out games than his form. He'll be better for us when Gov and Saad are back

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 11:30 am 
Wayne Johnston

We need a boost. A change of face for the team. Bring in some kids with some run. Lose one of the rucks.
Ive conceded 5-5 at rd 10 to myself. From there the season is more than likely shot but we are still a chance to scrape into the finals. So we can get more experience.
Blood some kids for the next year with the intention of changing our playing style.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 11:32 am 
Ken Hunter

The_Cranium wrote:
At some point, belief has to take a hit. We've lost 3 of our last 4, albeit by small margins. It has to get into the psyche of the players. Hopefully, they can put it behind them and put up a good showing. Selection will be interesting. Surely, Young goes out. No match up this week to justify it. Fantasia offers nothing. Cannot stay in the side.

I must admit I don't understand the Williams hate. He's not the hardest player on the park, agreed, but this 2 kicks to Elliott in the first quarter were as soft as they come. Charlie and Cripps get assaulted week in week out and never get a kick. If the same was applied to them as was Williams on Elliott they'd have 15 free kicks each a game. We have very few high level kickers in the team. Williams is one of them.

I think this is one week you want the ruck combo. TDK forward will be important to try to keep the Dees backs occupied. May has embarrassed Charlie in recent matches. Time to step up to the plate.

McGov, Martin and Marchy available. Big call to bring them all back in, especially Martin and Marchy underdone.

Gov has enough of a base to come straight in. And Martin super important structurally given our small/ medium forward struggles.

I'd take them and give Marchbank a week in the 2s to find some form and fitness.

Out: Young, Fantasia, Cowan
In: McGovern, Martin, Kemp

We can if everything goes right. Surely we deserve a slice of luck. Go Blues

Agree. With this.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 11:55 am 
Bruce Doull

If ever there is a time for us to lower the eyes going forward & look for leads, it's now, against Lever & May. Simply have to stop kicking to packs & hoping Charlie can clutch it.

This is where we really need a dangerous medium option to break things up a bit so if Martin actually is available, I say we bring him in even though he might be rusty. He's done well against Melbourne before.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 11:57 am 
Bruce Doull

Saad….

we really miss Saad…next Fog…next McGlovin…then
Martin…!

then take out…Young…Cowan…Fantasia and one other…?

and there’s some sanity returned to the team…!

I’m not saying it’s the remedy…but it’s at least part of
the elixir that helps the team heal…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 11:58 am 
Bob Chitty

Melbourne are in reasonably good nick and we seem to be finding different ways to lose at the moment which is a big worry. The only positive is we always seem to play close games against this mob as our styles are similar. Melbourne don’t have that slingshot game with speed that is the blueprint to beat Carlton.

A couple of early thoughts:
- Got to play 2 rucks against Gawn who is still the best ruck out there.
- If Charlie continues his want to wrestle and not move, he’ll be beaten comprehensively by May. Get on your bike Charlie and start following up at ground level.
- Something has to give with our small forwards. Ideally neither Orazio or Durdin would play this week but I fear without Motlop and Fog at least one will play.
- If we bring the intensity and pressure from last week, we’re cooked.
- I’m warying about bringing in underdone players but ultimately we’ve got little choice given the form of some of the incumbents.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 12:09 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The_Cranium wrote:
McGov, Martin and Marchy available. Big call to bring them all back in, especially Martin and Marchy underdone.

Gov has enough of a base to come straight in. And Martin super important structurally given our small/ medium forward struggles.

I'd take them and give Marchbank a week in the 2s to find some form and fitness.

Sounds about right to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 12:24 pm 
Ken Hunter

Humpers wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:

Sounds about right to me.

Poor old Matt Kennedy forgotten again. Midfield's going to be a war, we need another strong body who's going to get his hands on the ball. I previously nominated E Hollands for the sub, but to be fair, he has been getting a fair bit of the pill. Durdin has not, but we need at least some pace on the field. Perhaps Williams will fail to get up, and Kennedy will play a hybrid defender/midfielder role, not ideal but what else have we got?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 3:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

I feel Williams struggles if our backline is missing a few.

Inclined to play him further upfield and maybe in the guts. Didn’t we recruit him for that reason?

Free him up l say. Change the midfield mix a bit. Midfield was beaten after Q1 against the pies so mix it up. Having said that, given his injury history I’d rest him this week.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:47 am 
Bruce Doull

Hey….

this week everyone in the 8…is playing
someone in the 8…how’s that…!

fascinating…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:50 am 
Geoff Southby

tommi wrote:
Hey….

this week everyone in the 8…is playing
someone in the 8…how’s that…!

fascinating…!

kindest regards tommi

that is! it'll be interesting to see what the 8 looks like after this. i'm thinking we're gonna start seeing separation at the top. and then 7th and 8th will have about 6-7 teams all gunning for those two spots. that's where we don't want to be.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:52 am 
Rod Ashman

But imagine if we beat Melbourne and then beat Sydney??
Our tackling and pressure game went missing against the
Pies.
Even after they smashed us with their pressure, and their forward entries and turnovers we still had two very good chances to win the game at the end against the Pies: we stuffed up one (Harry not kicking to Charlie) and the umps stuffed up that deliberate from Pendlebury.
Then Daicos kicks one out of the box (we should have put a body on him through that stoppage but it isn’t that easy with a player that good).
My point is, we’re not far off it with key players missing and a few very fixable things.
I disagree with those who think Lever and May will be licking their lips - I think they’ll be absolutely shitting themselves with the most potent key forwards to worry about this week.
It is up to us how we use them and how much pressure our forwards can put on them.
We are right in this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:53 am 
Bruce Doull

Voss gave that line about Marchbank Martin Mcgovern & a few media outlets have gone with it, but do we really have any clarity there?

I'm thinking it's more likely it'll just be Mcgovern

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:54 am 
Robert Walls

So we played the team at the top of the ladder in round 6 and in round 7, now in round 8 we're playing the team in fourth place... and depending on what happens we'll probably play the team at the top of the ladder next week...

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:57 am 
Craig Bradley

CK95 wrote:
Voss gave that line about Marchbank Martin Mcgovern & a few media outlets have gone with it, but do we really have any clarity there?

If they’re being straight up with us, Martin recovered from his injury a couple of weeks ago. If his conditioning passes muster, he’s in.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:
CK95 wrote:

If they’re being straight up with us, Martin recovered from his injury a couple of weeks ago. If his conditioning passes muster, he’s in.

exactly. martin has been up and about for 3 weeks now. they're putting the same load into him they did with walsh.

it worked for sammy, i guess we'll see if it does for martin.

it's crazy martin and motlop haven't been sighted all season from pre season soft tissue injuries. you can never stop acl's like Jack and Doc got ... but sheesh, the soft tissues are something we can.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:29 pm 
Wayne Johnston

In: Martin, McGovern, Kemp, Kennedy, O Hollands (sub)
Out: Fantasia, Young, Williams (inj), Durdin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

lets all hope ollie having a week off is what he needed to do to get back some of his form from last year. he just isn't finding enough of the ball. but his defensive efforts were really badly missed friday night.

with no fog, and durdin and owies and young's complete inability to pressure, harass or tackle, we need his pressure.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
lets all hope ollie having a week off is what he needed to do to get back some of his form from last year. he just isn't finding enough of the ball. but his defensive efforts were really badly missed friday night.

with no fog, and durdin and owies and young's complete inability to pressure, harass or tackle, we need his pressure.

Ollie is not getting enough ball for a winger he is only getting it 11 times a game
I know he does a lot of up and back running but he needs to get to the ball more

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 1:41 pm 
Bruce Doull

Gee it was easier back in 91 when the gates were open & I could just walk in & watch training :grin:

Having said that, match sim, good session. Through squinted eyes I'm pretty sure Martin & Mcgovern were in among it. Don't recall seeing Marchbank or Weitering.

Fog, Motlop, Saad did ballwork with the rehab group & their agility was good, particularly Motlop, who can't be too far away. The 3 then jogged laps. Did Akuei get a knock on the weekend? Looked like he was with rehab also.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next