Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

Nah

Kick it to Curnow deeper in a 1 on 1 and at worst try and lock it in our F50

The shallow option to where everyone was is too risky and left us open on the turnover.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 5:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
Nah

The shallow option to where everyone was is too risky and left us open on the turnover.
But Curnow did exactly the same thing a minute earlier where Cotrell kicked the goal
Should he have kicked it to the pocket.

Harry missed the kick

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 5:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

kingkerna wrote:
So which ruck do you go with?

jeez ... that's a hard one.

if pitto could put the ground time in that tdk does, i'd say a pitto clearance game with H chopping him out would be better than tdk's more minutes on the park (means H needs less time in the middle)

but tdk does more around the ground and will lay tackles and have those 2nd efforts, and means less middle time for H...

i don't know, i can't decide. who would you take?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:24 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sydney Blue wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Nah

But Curnow did exactly the same thing a minute earlier where Cotrell kicked the goal
Should he have kicked it to the pocket.

Harry missed the kick

While I agree that Harry's option was a good one, albeit with a high risk/reward one, my memory says Curnow was kicking to a less populated F50

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:01 am 
Bruce Comben

sinbagger wrote:
EarlsCourt11 wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
I think the 2 ruck thing is overblown a lot.
Is it the 2 rucks or is it that we introduced 2 rucks at the same time we lost Gov Cerra Saad and Fogarty

i wish i could be this hopeful & optimistic. we all agree footy is about winning. not how it looks, and individual stats or any other parameter. just winning.

our record with two rucks over last season and this is:

regular season 2023 lost 9 won 1 - won two finals.

and this season we've lost 3 of the last 4 with two rucks. melbourne abandoned the whole thing and they had no semblance of a forward line, and gawn is a much better forward than tdk. and grundy a much better ruck than pittonet. and they scrapped the idea. bcos. it. just. doesn't. work.

what we all skip over is the bit about how much harder the rest of the team has to work & run when you start the game down one runner in favour for a tall. we've completely stopped running out games. pies ran us off our feet after quarter time. crows rebounded all game long and put pace on the ball and we couldn't keep up, and the cats suffocated (and then spread) the immediate area around the stoppage after we'd won it and shut down our options bcos we couldn't chase for 2 hours.

and that's not even getting into BV's excellent piece about the stoppage game relies on individual performance, over a turnover game which is a team system where everyone plays a role. the turnover game wins premierships, and the stoppage game doesn't.

pies play the latter and really if we're all honest here, they should have won by 4-5 goals. cats should have too, if not for that late burst of goals we scored bcos they were down a midfield rotation (danger) and fell away in the last half of the 4th.

Didn’t the pies have two rucks in Cox and Cameron?

Both of those players go forward and play it reasonably well. When one of them is forward, there are only two talls up there (Mihocek + Cox/Cameron).

When we do it, it's Charlie, Harry, TDK. Have you ever seen Pittonet go forward? Lol.

Combine that with Fantasia, Durdin and Owies doing 2 fifths of @#$%&! all and it doesn't work. We are way too slow.

And if we're not winning centre clearance to utiilse the 1 on 1's then we're nowhere, which is where we're at at the moment.

Cox and Cameron have kicked seven goals five points between them in 2024 from sixteen games total.

TDK and Pittonet have kicked seven goals ten points between them in 2024 from 12 games total.

The stats don’t back up your opinion.

Pittonet can't play forward. Fantasia, Owies and Durdin are doing two fifths of @#$%&! all. We are slow.

Sorry I can't find any stats to back that up.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 1:45 pm 
Wayne Johnston

EarlsCourt11 wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
EarlsCourt11 wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Braithy wrote:
[quote="Sydney Blue"]I think the 2 ruck thing is overblown a lot.
Is it the 2 rucks or is it that we introduced 2 rucks at the same time we lost Gov Cerra Saad and Fogarty

i wish i could be this hopeful & optimistic. we all agree footy is about winning. not how it looks, and individual stats or any other parameter. just winning.

our record with two rucks over last season and this is:

regular season 2023 lost 9 won 1 - won two finals.

and this season we've lost 3 of the last 4 with two rucks. melbourne abandoned the whole thing and they had no semblance of a forward line, and gawn is a much better forward than tdk. and grundy a much better ruck than pittonet. and they scrapped the idea. bcos. it. just. doesn't. work.

what we all skip over is the bit about how much harder the rest of the team has to work & run when you start the game down one runner in favour for a tall. we've completely stopped running out games. pies ran us off our feet after quarter time. crows rebounded all game long and put pace on the ball and we couldn't keep up, and the cats suffocated (and then spread) the immediate area around the stoppage after we'd won it and shut down our options bcos we couldn't chase for 2 hours.

and that's not even getting into BV's excellent piece about the stoppage game relies on individual performance, over a turnover game which is a team system where everyone plays a role. the turnover game wins premierships, and the stoppage game doesn't.

pies play the latter and really if we're all honest here, they should have won by 4-5 goals. cats should have too, if not for that late burst of goals we scored bcos they were down a midfield rotation (danger) and fell away in the last half of the 4th.

Didn’t the pies have two rucks in Cox and Cameron?

Both of those players go forward and play it reasonably well. When one of them is forward, there are only two talls up there (Mihocek + Cox/Cameron).

When we do it, it's Charlie, Harry, TDK. Have you ever seen Pittonet go forward? Lol.

Combine that with Fantasia, Durdin and Owies doing 2 fifths of @#$%&! all and it doesn't work. We are way too slow.

And if we're not winning centre clearance to utiilse the 1 on 1's then we're nowhere, which is where we're at at the moment.

Cox and Cameron have kicked seven goals five points between them in 2024 from sixteen games total.

TDK and Pittonet have kicked seven goals ten points between them in 2024 from 12 games total.

The stats don’t back up your opinion.

Pittonet can't play forward. Fantasia, Owies and Durdin are doing two fifths of @#$%&! all. We are slow.

Sorry I can't find any stats to back that up.[/quote]

You’re all over the shop Earl.

You say Pittonet can’t play forward and the magpie ruck duo are better at playing forward, yet the magpie ruck duo are significantly worse than our ruck duo (including Pittonet)!

You say we are slow due to players like C Durdin, yet he is one of the fastest and most agile of our smalls!

You say Owies is doing nothing yet he’s kicked multiple goals on the last few weeks!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 3:28 pm 
Bruce Comben

Cox and Cameron are significnatly better than Marc Pittonet at playing forward. The fact that TDK has kicked more points this year does not prove otherwise.

Durdin might be fast. He is still doing two/fifths of @#$%&! all this year, along with Fantasia.

Owies bobs up for a couple of goals here and there, because his opponent pays him no respect and usually hurts us at the other end. That's why he got dropped for the prelim (despite the fact he bobs up for a couple of goals here and there)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

EarlsCourt11 wrote:

Sorry I can't find any stats to back that up.

the best stats are wins and losses. we've lost 3 of the last 4 games and last year lost 9 of 10 with pitto/tdk - and harry and charlie.

pies go with a forward in mihocek and a resting ruck. that gives them two more runners in their team to apply pressure and turnover, which is the template to winning games, finals and flags

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:03 pm 
Wayne Johnston

EarlsCourt11 wrote:
Cox and Cameron are significnatly better than Marc Pittonet at playing forward. The fact that TDK has kicked more points this year does not prove otherwise.

Durdin might be fast. He is still doing two/fifths of @#$%&! all this year, along with Fantasia.

Owies bobs up for a couple of goals here and there, because his opponent pays him no respect and usually hurts us at the other end. That's why he got dropped for the prelim (despite the fact he bobs up for a couple of goals here and there)

First two goals, assist from Pitto and goal to Pitto.

Last goal of the quarter our fwd line was Pitto and TDK, TDK kicks the goal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11