Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

some of charlie's non existent 2nd efforts really hurt us last night. one time he lay on the ground for a bit staring at the sky, meanwhile play was happening all around him, and they exited without pressure.

the last 3-4 weeks the way teams can exit our F50 area is the greatest concern, imo

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:07 pm 
Ken Hunter

missnaut wrote:
Why don't our smalls stay down?

Time and time again everyone flies for the mark and two oppo players just hang back and pick up the spills.

That really frustrates me. There should be someone at the front of the pack ready to do just that.
I also get frustrated when he seem to take forever to move the ball from our backline.
By the time the ball finally reaches our forward line there are at least 30 players in our half of the ground.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:20 pm 
Geoff Southby

we don't have any real quality small forwards who rove packs and play at the talls feet. motlop, maybe.

but nothing like the quality collingwood have. does collingwoods small 3 of shultz, bobby and elliot prove they're worth more than our big 3? (tdk,H and CC)

ideally we could get by with a big 2 and a quality small, like bobby hill, ginni, elliot, rankine, cameron, stengle, kozzie etc

maybe we make a trade this summer?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:25 pm 
Harry Vallence

It’s all sorted Durdin has been handed a 2 year contract extension :)

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

GreatEx wrote:
AIRCAV wrote:

Couldn't beat a undermanned side.

PLAYER INJURY ESTIMATED RETURN
Jordan De Goey Groin Test
Josh Eyre Hamstring 3-4 weeks
Dan McStay Knee TBC
Tom Mitchell Foot Test
Oscar Steene Toe 12 weeks

and I've never heard of 2 of those.

I don't know that Pies lost that much with De Goey and Mitchell out.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

CK95 wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Forgot about Marchbank, thought he was still 1-200 weeks away. Can't imagine we'd want to bring all 3 straight back in but with Williams out and Young and Fantasia looking in bad nick we might just have to roll the dice
It's a big roll of the dice. The returning players didn't exactly set the world on fire tonight

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

Four ins. Two players returning from injury, one who missed the previous match with illness, and one who has played few games this year at any level. None of the four were very impressive.

So next week we bring more straight into the seniors who through injury haven't played in ages? Desperate times I guess.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 3:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

cortez wrote:

I don't know that Pies lost that much with De Goey and Mitchell out.

two trains of thought here. if they were there, we lose by 6 goals?

or is the pies system so much superior to ours, they can absorb injuries better than us?

the pies were working so much harder all night. running up and down the ground, and mentally, so much more switched on. everyone knew where they had to be and what they had to do when they turned the ball over. defensively they were all over us.

we looked lost and panicked after the 1st term.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 4:07 pm 
Ken Hunter

I think better if they'd been in. More predictable.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 4:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

Braithy wrote:
some of charlie's non existent 2nd efforts really hurt us last night. one time he lay on the ground for a bit staring at the sky, meanwhile play was happening all around him, and they exited without pressure.

the last 3-4 weeks the way teams can exit our F50 area is the greatest concern, imo

Agree, along with the centre when we don't win the ball

Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 4:30 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
Not overly surprised. As I thought, Mihocek took Weitering away from the contest and we didn't adapt. Why didn't Hamill have a counter strategy?
Not a big name but I thought Cincotta was good after a long lay off.

IMHO we can't structure our team on the stoppage game and expect to be consistent because it relies on one player too much. Last year Cripps has 27+ possessions, we win 9 out of 10 games. He has 26 or less, we win 5 out of 14. Collingwood did what Brisbane did last year, put a bigger bodied mid on Cripps and he struggles to have the desired impact. We need more speed and adaptability around the contest. Collingwood stood outside us around the contest and knocked it into space. (Richmond 2019) and they were off. If we won it, they closed in and shut us down. They were more disciplined and went in with a better plan.
Defensive 50 stoppages were a huge issue for us. Too many easy goals. The coaches have a lot of work to do in that regard.

It will be interesting to see what the coaches come up with for next week. We started the season far more system based. We've regressed to previous years football where we're relying on 3 or 4 stars to win us games. Selfish, dumb decisions being made again where players think they'll do it all themselves. That doesn't win premierships.

That is true.
Then again, they won in the end on the back of Nick Daicos’ individual brilliance from a difficult spot out wide of a stoppage when we did the disciplined thing by blocking his ability to get goal side.
I thought Voss press conference was spot on b/c he was much happier with our defensive structures this week.
I am sure he will still hammer the team about effort (esp tackle pressure) and about nailing our opportunities up the field and in front of goal.
I reckon we have a lot of upside on the back of that performance.
We had several passengers, missed opportunities, and still were in a position to win with 3mins to go.
Last week was much worse b/c it was too easy for them to score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 5:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sat next to a Collingwood supporter at Lil' Miss Wojee II's netball game today.
She says "I promise I won't talk about the footy".

Then spent half the game talking about the @#$%&! footy.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:39 pm 
Ken Hunter

Schultz cops one week for his coward punch. Oh the irony that they had a Stop the Coward Punch virtue signal on the Channel 7 coverage. Yeah, right. As I said in the match thread, Acres didn't die so everyone will pretend there's nothing to see here. Intent doesn't matter, only the outcome. Do as you please and pray your opponent's skull is thick in the right places.

Maynard gets off, of course. MRO not taking the opportunity to correct past wrongs, but the faux tough guy will give them plenty more.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:58 pm 
Ken Hunter

Let’s get ‘em in round 21.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:05 pm 
Robert Walls

GreatEx wrote:
Schultz cops one week for his coward punch. Oh the irony that they had a Stop the Coward Punch virtue signal on the Channel 7 coverage. Yeah, right. As I said in the match thread, Acres didn't die so everyone will pretend there's nothing to see here. Intent doesn't matter, only the outcome. Do as you please and pray your opponent's skull is thick in the right places.

Maynard gets off, of course. MRO not taking the opportunity to correct past wrongs, but the faux tough guy will give them plenty more.

Unsurprisingly the umpire didn’t award a free kick

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

Free kick was paid.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 9:06 pm 
Harry Vallence

The carry on from the pies fans FMD.

I guess the rivalry is well and truly back.

It’ll be funny if we get them back when it counts lol.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 9:40 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Blue Vain wrote:
Not overly surprised. As I thought, Mihocek took Weitering away from the contest and we didn't adapt. Why didn't Hamill have a counter strategy?
Not a big name but I thought Cincotta was good after a long lay off.

IMHO we can't structure our team on the stoppage game and expect to be consistent because it relies on one player too much. Last year Cripps has 27+ possessions, we win 9 out of 10 games. He has 26 or less, we win 5 out of 14. Collingwood did what Brisbane did last year, put a bigger bodied mid on Cripps and he struggles to have the desired impact. We need more speed and adaptability around the contest. Collingwood stood outside us around the contest and knocked it into space. (Richmond 2019) and they were off. If we won it, they closed in and shut us down. They were more disciplined and went in with a better plan.
Defensive 50 stoppages were a huge issue for us. Too many easy goals. The coaches have a lot of work to do in that regard.

It will be interesting to see what the coaches come up with for next week. We started the season far more system based. We've regressed to previous years football where we're relying on 3 or 4 stars to win us games. Selfish, dumb decisions being made again where players think they'll do it all themselves. That doesn't win premierships.

Great post agree with this.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

missnaut wrote:
I'd rather have gotten flogged last night.

We've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory twice in three weeks now. The Adelaide game once again has set the tone.

17th Premiership wrote:
Bottom line: they worked much harder than us. And smarter.

PS. I’m not as critical of our backline which kept us in the game despite their overwhelming I50 dominance (except the lapses which enabled Bobby Hill and Daicos to break free and leaving Pendlebury on his own whilst falling for Sidebum’s obvious BS… but that was mostly the fault of midfielders more than backmen).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was sitting on that side of the ground in the member zone area, and nearly everyone was screaming to not let Pendlebury get free... How can a bay full of supporters can see it but the team can't?

Yep. Two identical strategic or concentration lapses in consecutive weeks from exactly the same spot on the ground. Sidebottom at 55 signaling he was shooting for goal hitting up Pendelbury at 40. Set play. Cameron lining up for goal at 55 hitting up Stengel (I think) at 35. Set play.
Could see both a mile off from the stands
What are our coaching instructions when an opposition player is preparing to shoot for goal but likely just outside their range

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Our defensive zone seems to be to allow just enough space to temp the kicker to spot up the loose guy but too much to actually intercept it if they do. Like "I dare you to try and it better be a good kick". Nek minnit they just do a good kick.

Meanwhile we'll kick to a 1 on 3 with enough hang time for at least 2 of the 3 to impact.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Yep our kickout strategies are poor at the moment. Too much guarding grass for no impact.
We're getting smashed giving up scores from our forward line and our turnover game has gone to shit as well.
I believe we can play 2 rucks and have a good balance but it comes back to mindset IMHO. When we play 2 rucks, our mids seem to think the entire system rotates around them and they can abrogate some of the defensive aspect of the game. Half forwards will come up and block for them, wingers will push back and sweep if one of their opponents gets out the front of a stoppage.
I keep reading Crippa loves Pitto in the team, i have no doubt. It makes his life easier. We're based more on stoppage when we play 2 rucks. He can rely on others to do some of his defensive work. That's the difference with playing a turnover game which is more system based. When someone doesn't do their job, it stands out. Everyone has a role and you're exposed if you don't do it.

Voss talks about a next up mentality. I agree totally. But you can't play a game style that relies on individuals if you want that to succeed. Give me role players every time. Boyd, Cincotta, Fogarty. They may not have some of the attributes of other players but they have a role and they give it 100%, every moment. That is the strength of a system based game style.

We went back to 2022 at times on Thursday. Cincotta takes a mark in the middle of the ground and Cripps calls for the handball when he's under pressure. Turnover. Who would you prefer kicking the ball?

Don't discount the impact Ollie's loss of form has contributed. With Doc being unavailable as well, Cottrell has been moved to the wing role. He's far better suited to the high half forward role where his work rate exploits the opposition. He doesn't read the play well enough to be a top winger. But I understand the reasoning. Binns isn't ready. He has the tank but not the physical intent. It will be interesting to see what the coaches do when we get numbers back.
Since we've played 2 rucks, we've lost 3 of 4 but we've played some good opposition and our injury list is significant. As I said, finding the balance between turnover and stoppage will interesting because it seems too be one or the other at the moment. We're rarely finding strength in both.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next