Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:42 pm 
Bob Chitty

Nice alternative thinking Club.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:36 am 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/we- ... 5fn9d.html

The inconsistent Blues have had a horrible three weeks defensively, conceding an average of 105.3 points through losses to Adelaide and Geelong, and a come-from-behind win over Greater Western Sydney. They had conceded an average of just 77.5 points a game in their opening four wins of the season.

Only the winless North Melbourne (130) have conceded more points over the past three weeks, and the Blues also ranked 17th for marks against inside defensive 50, while being crunched on scores from turnovers and stoppages.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:06 am 
Ken Hunter

The_Cranium wrote:
The football media are hilarious. 2 weeks ago we lost to the Crows by 2 points and it was all doom and gloom. Then we beat GWS and we were not only declared contenders by just about flag favorites. This week we play a full strength Cats outfit (bar Stewart) come up short and once again we're just also rans and the team we beat last week are top of the pops. I don't know why I waste my time listening to / watching it. More fool me

AFL media coverage is always extremely reactive. Who's talking about the touched kick/dissent free against Freo now? No one. Who's gonna care about the ANZAC Day draw next week? etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:13 am 
Geoff Southby

Effes wrote:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/we-don-t-stand-for-that-blues-fatal-flaw-exposed-ahead-of-magpies-blockbuster-20240429-p5fn9d.html

The inconsistent Blues have had a horrible three weeks defensively, conceding an average of 105.3 points through losses to Adelaide and Geelong, and a come-from-behind win over Greater Western Sydney. They had conceded an average of just 77.5 points a game in their opening four wins of the season.

Only the winless North Melbourne (130) have conceded more points over the past three weeks, and the Blues also ranked 17th for marks against inside defensive 50, while being crunched on scores from turnovers and stoppages.

It's almost like we have injuries in our defence. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:25 am 
Bruce Doull

Sidefx wrote:

Spot on!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Spot on!
That is part of the reason but the absence of Cerra Cunningham and Fogarty has hurt us more than losing Saad and Gov.
There is no pressure on the ball being delivered into our back half.
Cotrell and Acres are trying their best but the 2 Holland boys ,Carroll and Owies are not doing enough.
You see Cripps Kennedy and Walsh they tackle and keep tackling and chasing all game a lot of the others don't

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yeah that's fair.

I really think Mcgovern out has been massive though. Don't know if there was anyone put into his role on the weekend, didn't look like it. We really didn't have anyone popping up & intercepting those Geelong transitions like he would have, nor using a better kick than the predictable long bomb to Charlie.

One of many reasons I wasn't too pissed off after the loss.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

*Some* supporters are venturing into "moral victor" territory after this match, lets not turn into Melbourne and the English cricket team please.

Thankfully, we're getting no such discourse from within the four walls of the club.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

I don't get that sense, I just think we recognise that we aren't in any strife... there are obvious areas for improvement and we have the tools to address them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

GreatEx wrote:
I don't get that sense, I just think we recognise that we aren't in any strife... there are obvious areas for improvement and we have the tools to address them.

Problem is the tools are all in the shed... :lol:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

GreatEx wrote:
I don't get that sense, I just think we recognise that we aren't in any strife...YET! there are obvious areas for improvement and we have the tools to address them.

That can change very quickly and confidence can disappear even quicker. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:05 am 
Stephen Kernahan

https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1785227040033325325

Daniel Hoyne outlines the area of the ground that is the biggest concern for the Blues right now

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:26 am 
Harry Vallence

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Effes wrote:
https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1785227040033325325

Daniel Hoyne outlines the area of the ground that is the biggest concern for the Blues right now

No surprise. When Voss talks about our defensive problems, he's not just talking about our back 7. They made some critical errors on the weekend but our defensive problems are coming from further up the ground.
Some people get carried away by the clearance numbers but have a look below the surface how they're being obtained and the positive/negative outcomes of them.
We brained Geelong at centre clearance numbers but they outscored from centre clearances. We outscored them at stoppage clearances but we're pushing half forwards up to the contest to outnumber them. We win the ball, kick it forward and they brain us on the turnover as they have extra numbers.

We smashed GWS at the clearances. Cripps dominated, as did Walsh. Hewitt had his highest rated game in 2 years. At half time we scored 27 points to their 6 from centre clearances. Cripps had 19 possessions and 6 clearances. Yet GWS led on the scoreboard. Because they smashed us at turnover.
In the second half we continued to dominate clearance but it was our turnover game that changed. We outscored them heavily from turnover. That's what turned the tables. The facts are there for everyone to see. 17 of the past 18 premiers have been top 3 at the turnover game. The clearance game is incidental. It is the icing. The turnover game is the cake.
It's the balance we have to find again. After the first 3 games we conceded the 2nd lowest score from turnover. Since then we're 14th. We've conceded the second most points in the AFL. We're conceded the second most marks in defensive 50.

This isn't a 1 or 2 ruck debate. I was supportive of the coaches bringing in Pitto as we needed a different method with our injury list.
It's about system v talent. IMHO, if we prioritise the clearance game, we're relying on talent. We need Cripps, Walsh etc to have big games and we put players around them to support the method. But what happens when the talent doesn't fire?
Last year when Cripps had 27+ possessions, we won 9 out of 10 games. When he was stifled or underdone (less than 20 possessions), we won 1 of 6 games.

We can't keep pushing extra numbers up to stoppages to win a stoppage. It leaves loose opposition players and it allows our mids to be lazy. It removes accountability. If you can't win the stoppage one on one, then is it as sound strategy? We need to focus on system over talent. We have to get turnover working first and then add clearance. Not at the expense of the turnover game.
We won the first 3 games playing a turnover game. We were number 2 turnover team in the AFL. Since then it's turned to shit except for the second half against GWS. The clearance game is a big bonus but we need balance.

Getting back to our back 7, they need to be better. I'm sick of seeing players leave their opponent without impacting the contest. When the opposition are streaming down the ground unmanned, I understand players must leave their opponent to pressure. But flying continually into contests without impacting (Kemp), running into stoppages without impacting (Williams), they're the same stupid decisions these players are making week after week. Kemp has so much talent but he must frustrate the hell out of the coaches. His ball use has improved but he keeps making junior football mistakes.
We're pressing too high without watching the opposition players dropping behind us. Including our mids. There's no need for them to all push inside our forward 50 as they're getting burnt going the other way.

As several of us have said previously, we're desperate for a tall defender with some physicality. Hopefully the club is scouring every inch of earth before the mid season draft.
Hopefully the return of players will again provide pressure on spots in the team because at the moment, too many players are playing on their own terms.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 7:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

i dunno, we have weitering? do we need another top banana at the back? i thought we need more mobility across the ground, more foot speed, and a crafty small forward with x factor?

everything else you said is spot on. we're cheating in clearances and we're losing games. any team in the comp can send extra numbers to the stoppage and win it. but if that ball turns over, you suddenly have spare men all over the park running at you in handball chains before they get that one kick out the back of you.

two rucks is conducive to all this, bcos that's one less runner in the team to lay the manic defensive pressure & turnover that voss yearns.

this friday will be fascinating to watch how it goes down. if it's more the same like it was the cats and crows, the pies will play themselves into form against us.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 7:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

We win the contested ball and go helter skelter to get it in quick . Unfortunately we are outnumbered and hence comes the turnover . Surely the solution would be to win the contest and then slow it down , Is that over simplifying it ?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 8:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

The_Wookie wrote:

:thanks:

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8