Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:21 am 
Bruce Doull

9 minutes left in the 3rd , down 20

7 minutes later and we are up 17

crazy

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:24 am 
Rod Ashman

kezza wrote:
Funny reading the match day thread.
Bender will now find religion apparently.

yeah, i forgot about that

i'm married to a chaplain, so i go to heaven by proxy....

i'm also a member of the church of the flying spaghetti monster, if that helps??

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:41 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

RickJ wrote:
Chalie and Harry 0.5 to half time. GWS are slick and I thought we were in trouble but we just monstered them and crushed them with contested ball and weren’t going to let this slip. I think we were so cocksure against Adelaide 16 points up 7 mins to go we always win the close ones job is done that we let the game slip. Not today. Great win. Very happy
Perfect summary of this and last week.

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:01 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jake_h03 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Pitto you star. Where is Braithy
I tipped Walsh and Cripps would have a day out.
Giants midfield are unaccountable.

TDK take a bow
Kennedy down back what a champ.
9 goal kickers

Big win

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

he was immense. if he played like that every game it'd make it hard to drop him. in saying that, it was a career night for him. those two contested marks that just stuck, and he found the ball in a way he's never really done. he looked like darcy from freo at times.

That's it Braithy. The TDK/Pitto combo looks a million bucks when it looks like that. But they both literally had the best nights of their career in playing those roles. We need to see more of that and less of Pitto 6 touches, TDK 8 touches with 3 marks and 0 goals between them.

For now, I have gone from thinking anyone in favour of 2 rucks was crazy to being keen to see the combo again next week. Very happy to be proven wrong based on tonights showing.

i think the balance of the team still isn't quite right ... when the ball hits the deck in our F50, we still don't have the ability or personnel to lock it in.

But voss acknowledged that in the presser ... he also made a valid point about what we have in tdk and pitto, H and charlie is unique to the league that no one else has and tinkering with it all to perfect it into his vision is where he's at.

and yeah, if they can all keep playing like last night - i was well wrong about it all. Swap owies for a fit motlop. maybe elijah for a fit martin ... and bring fogerty back for the ground pressure; maybe they can play like as their baseline.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:59 am 
Rod Ashman

In the first half I thought that GWS was looking fantastic and my queries about who they had beaten were shut down.
Their tackling was manic and referred pressure through the roof. We kept making heaps of unforced errors.
But I wonder if they worked so hard early on that when we made our move, they were out of puff and couldn’t go with us.
For any swimmers out there, it reminded me of Cate Campbell at the Rio Olympics where she went out on the first lap in world record time but faded in the 2nd lap to crash out I think in 6th.
By contrast, we were more like Kyle Chalmers at the same Olympics who was coming last or second last at the turn but stormed home to win…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:12 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Super effort. Cripps and Walsh were amazing. That's back to the brutal best of last years footy.
When Cripps can play like that, we're almost unbeatable.
What's more, our turnover game was huge in the second half.

I note the retractions from some posters on the second ruck inclusion.
It's not one or the other for the season. We still lost to a winless team last week. We will have times where 1 ruck will suit the opposition and other games where it won't. The fact is we needed to build our turnover game as it was almost non existent last year. The coaches prioritised that. (Voss was asked in the media a couple of weeks ago if we had prioritised the turnover game and he confirmed it)
The key was to build that strength and then round out our game with our strength (the contest). That happened in the second half yesterday. Brutality in the contest with high scoring from turnover. We didn't have that last year.
If we can take that formula into finals, it will make us a genuine contender.

It's never as good as it seems and never as bad as it seems. Mind you, with the injuries we have, it was looking pretty bad. :grin:
I went but I wasn't expecting a win.

Last edited by Blue Vain on Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:15 am 
Ken Hunter

We seem a very fit team especially endurance wise.

Conceding 98 points (especially getting caught HTB with 15 seconds left) after conceding 100 last week is a little concerning.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:57 am 
Geoff Southby

Haven’t seen the game yet but clearly great comeback
2 ruckman worked this game

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:41 am 
Craig Bradley

grrofunger wrote:
9 minutes left in the 3rd , down 20

7 minutes later and we are up 17

crazy

Watching the replay last night with 9 minutes to go in the third, I was wondering if what I already knew (the result) wasn't correct :lol:

We were back to out clearance best at times but we still need to work on our f50 delivery. But according to King, our comeback was due to our turnover game... great signs of the maturity of this team.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:02 am 
Wayne Johnston

Braithy wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Pitto you star. Where is Braithy
I tipped Walsh and Cripps would have a day out.
Giants midfield are unaccountable.

TDK take a bow
Kennedy down back what a champ.
9 goal kickers

Big win

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

he was immense. if he played like that every game it'd make it hard to drop him. in saying that, it was a career night for him. those two contested marks that just stuck, and he found the ball in a way he's never really done. he looked like darcy from freo at times.

That's it Braithy. The TDK/Pitto combo looks a million bucks when it looks like that. But they both literally had the best nights of their career in playing those roles. We need to see more of that and less of Pitto 6 touches, TDK 8 touches with 3 marks and 0 goals between them.

For now, I have gone from thinking anyone in favour of 2 rucks was crazy to being keen to see the combo again next week. Very happy to be proven wrong based on tonights showing.

i think the balance of the team still isn't quite right ... when the ball hits the deck in our F50, we still don't have the ability or personnel to lock it in.

But voss acknowledged that in the presser ... he also made a valid point about what we have in tdk and pitto, H and charlie is unique to the league that no one else has and tinkering with it all to perfect it into his vision is where he's at.

and yeah, if they can all keep playing like last night - i was well wrong about it all. Swap owies for a fit motlop. maybe elijah for a fit martin ... and bring fogerty back for the ground pressure; maybe they can play like as their baseline.

Agree, but if the 4 talls perform the way they did last night, you can make the argument that the positives justify the negatives. When TDK and Pitto combine for the same stats TDK gets alone in the ruck, you can't. I'm still not sold on two rucks as that's the first time we've really seen it work, but I'm at least open to the concept for now.

Also in terms of small forwards coming back in, I think Orazio would be one of the first out. Hasn't impacted games a whole lot and we need to fit Martin, Motlop, and Fog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:50 am 
Harry Vallence

Thought it was also Corey Durdin’s best game for us.

Not in terms of stats - he didn’t get the ball much (still got 2 goals), but his defensive pressure was manic and there were some big efforts in the third quarter where he sprinted back and stopped their attacks at a crucial moment.

Also everyone needs to get off Oli’s back, he’s just a kid and has an enormous tank. Thought he was great too, he seemed to be everywhere around the ground.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:59 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I'll tell you one thing.

I never, ever thought it was possible to record a 244 pressure rating in a half of footy going so big. the scope of what they achieved in that, with all that tall timber, really defies logic. pressure obviously leads to turnover, and i was absolutely wrong about what is possible with pittonet out there. obviously we hope it wasn't a once off miracle of sorts.

but, if we can keep doing that - pressure at that clip with so much size on the park, we will win a flag.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:07 am 
Wayne Johnston

Braithy wrote:
I'll tell you one thing.

I never, ever thought it was possible to record a 244 pressure rating in a half of footy going so big. the scope of what they achieved in that, with all that tall timber, really defies logic. pressure obviously leads to turnover, and i was absolutely wrong about what is possible with pittonet out there. obviously we hope it wasn't a once off miracle of sorts.

but, if we can keep doing that - pressure at that clip with so much size on the park, we will win a flag.

Nail on the head braithy. I just posted similar in the Geelong thread. Pressure rating is everything. We were 150 in the first half and got slaughtered in scores from turnover. If we’re playing 2 rucks, it can’t be at the expense of pressure. The mids/flankers will be down a rotation, so they have to be super fit and work super hard to maintain that pressure. If we can do that, 2 rucks can work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:47 am 
Stephen Kernahan

What actually *is* a pressure rating?

I know higher is better. Because fox told me. But what *is* it and how is it calculated?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:50 am 
Craig Bradley

bluehammer wrote:
What actually *is* a pressure rating?

I know higher is better. Because fox told me. But what *is* it and how is it calculated?

I'm with you, have no idea...lol.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:54 am 
Ken Hunter

We need to fix 2 more little issues but we are nearly there. I loved what I saw in the 2nd half.
Martin, Motlop and Fogarty will fix one issue - ground ball in our forward line.
2nd issue our zone need to be tighter to not allow the easy ball access with the chip kick.

Yesterday showed why some of us wanted TdK and Pitto to play. TdK forward gives us the weaponry.
When Cripps and Walsh are doing what they do - look out!!!
Big shout to some unsung boys in Bam Bam, Elijah, Ollie, Cowan (loved his presence), Young, Kemp and Boyd.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:08 pm 
Ken Hunter

Megaman wrote:
Do we intentionally play shit to 'rope-a-dope' the opposition each week

GreatEx wrote:
We weren't that bad first half. Just needed to fix our D50 exits, and kick to the advantage of H&C more.

jake_h03 wrote:
Pressure rating was 150 in the first quarter. Went to 240+ in that quarter. We were a different team in the 3rd. Playing with the heart and energy from the second half of last year

≈==========

Just picking this one up from the match thread: I'll admit I don't know what these pressure rating numbers are based on (edit: I see from the last few posts that I'm not Robinson Crusoe there!) but it seems intuitive that turning the ball over when exiting the D50 makes it almost impossible to apply pressure because you're always going to leave multiple open scoring avenues. Vossy said as much in his presser, it's a chicken-and-egg scenario. I don't feel that we weren't trying as hard in the first half, just that we weren't smart or clean enough in that aspect of the game, making it too easy for the Giants to play through us and making it look like we weren't bringing the defensive heat. Obviously we had the stoppages and clearances purring from the off; once we figured out the defensive exits it allowed our pressure to show and we rebalanced the score from turnover. The second half was so satisfying because we showed for the first time this season that we can play both contested and turnover footy to a high level at the same time.

2nd edit: I agree with Surrey that F50 ground ball pressure was still lacking, and that is the third point of the premiership triarchy! But at least we know from earlier games that we can have that too, when certain players return from injury (and not at the expense of critical components of our stoppage and turnover games)

Last edited by GreatEx on Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:13 pm 
Robert Walls

SurreyBlue wrote:
We need to fix 2 more little issues but we are nearly there. I loved what I saw in the 2nd half.
Martin, Motlop and Fogarty will fix one issue - ground ball in our forward line.
2nd issue our zone need to be tighter to not allow the easy ball access with the chip kick.

Yesterday showed why some of us wanted TdK and Pitto to play. TdK forward gives us the weaponry.
When Cripps and Walsh are doing what they do - look out!!!
Big shout to some unsung boys in Bam Bam, Elijah, Ollie, Cowan (loved his presence), Young, Kemp and Boyd.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:26 pm 
Wayne Johnston

GreatEx wrote:
Megaman wrote:
Do we intentionally play shit to 'rope-a-dope' the opposition each week

GreatEx wrote:
We weren't that bad first half. Just needed to fix our D50 exits, and kick to the advantage of H&C more.

jake_h03 wrote:
Pressure rating was 150 in the first quarter. Went to 240+ in that quarter. We were a different team in the 3rd. Playing with the heart and energy from the second half of last year

≈==========

Just picking this one up from the match thread: I'll admit I don't know what these pressure rating numbers are based on (edit: I see from the last few posts that I'm not Robinson Crusoe there!) but it seems intuitive that turning the ball over when exiting the D50 makes it almost impossible to apply pressure because you're always going to leave multiple open scoring avenues. Vossy said as much in his presser, it's a chicken-and-egg scenario. I don't feel that we weren't trying as hard in the first half, just that we weren't smart or clean enough in that aspect of the game, making it too easy for the Giants to play through us and making it look like we weren't bringing the defensive heat. Obviously we had the stoppages and clearances purring from the off; once we figured out the defensive exits it allowed our pressure to show and we rebalanced the score from turnover. The second half was so satisfying because we showed for the first time this season that we can play both contested and turnover footy to a high level at the same time.

2nd edit: I agree with Surrey that F50 ground ball pressure was still lacking, and that is the third point of the premiership triarchy! But at least we know from earlier games that we can have that too, when certain players return from injury (and not at the expense of critical components of our stoppage and turnover games)

This is an astute observation and I completely agree. However I don't think its the whole story. In the second half I think we were riding the wave of momentum and the energy was bursting at the seams. Then the home crowd got involved and with every tackle, every goal, we seemed to lift more and more and I think this played a part in the manic pressure we were able to apply. It's not that we weren't trying in the first half, but that kind of momentum just gives you the adrenalin to find another 5%.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

17th Premiership wrote:
In the first half I thought that GWS was looking fantastic and my queries about who they had beaten were shut down.
Their tackling was manic and referred pressure through the roof. We kept making heaps of unforced errors.
But I wonder if they worked so hard early on that when we made our move, they were out of puff and couldn’t go with us.
For any swimmers out there, it reminded me of Cate Campbell at the Rio Olympics where she went out on the first lap in world record time but faded in the 2nd lap to crash out I think in 6th.
By contrast, we were more like Kyle Chalmers at the same Olympics who was coming last or second last at the turn but stormed home to win…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nah, football is a sport - swimming is recreation. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next