Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:54 pm 
Bruce Comben

Best game Ive seen from Pitto... and TDK just keeps improving .Having the advantage of 3 tall targets forward ,does seem to be advantagious .I like Cottrell too,he is involved in so many of our scoring plays..Fantasia still finding his feet,but will have to show something soon ,with Cerra and Martin waiting for injury clearance ..Amazing turn around in the second half ,against good opposition,most cohesive side with depth since the 90's .In the rooms after the game it did not seem that Weiters and WIlliams were too badly injured so ...crossed fingers that they will be available next match . Hats also off to Jordan Boyd ,who did a stellar job ,of shutting down Green in the 2nd half .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

I don't have any stats to base this on, but to my eye GWS looked like a bloody tall squad on average.

Maybe that's a reason our talls worked well yesterday

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

Hats off to Pittonet. Stellar job yesterday. Looked more mobile and robust than last week.

Maybe the MC are onto something. Pies won a flag with Cameron and the American bloke. So is 2 rucks the go?

I’m not sold on this but what would l know.

BTW funnily enough, l was less nervous this week than last week and felt we could beat GWS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
I'll tell you one thing.

I never, ever thought it was possible to record a 244 pressure rating in a half of footy going so big. the scope of what they achieved in that, with all that tall timber, really defies logic. pressure obviously leads to turnover, and i was absolutely wrong about what is possible with pittonet out there. obviously we hope it wasn't a once off miracle of sorts.

but, if we can keep doing that - pressure at that clip with so much size on the park, we will win a flag.

Nail on the head braithy. I just posted similar in the Geelong thread. Pressure rating is everything. We were 150 in the first half and got slaughtered in scores from turnover. If we’re playing 2 rucks, it can’t be at the expense of pressure. The mids/flankers will be down a rotation, so they have to be super fit and work super hard to maintain that pressure. If we can do that, 2 rucks can work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pressure rating has bugger all to do if you are a small a mid or a ruck. It is about effort and the ability to chase. Harry is one of our tallest but his efforts to chase and tackle far out weigh some of our others.

We have been sitting here being critical of our tall structures and our intercepting game and forward half Pressure .
You tell me what Pressure does E Holland's offer or Orazio.

Give me Harry and TDK efforts over these 2 any day of the week

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sydney Blue wrote:

Pressure rating has bugger all to do if you are a small a mid or a ruck. It is about effort and the ability to chase. Harry is one of our tallest but his efforts to chase and tackle far out weigh some of our others.

We have been sitting here being critical of our tall structures and our intercepting game and forward half Pressure .

Pressure rating is a number of things. it's covering the ground, agility to cover the ground, the average time it takes for the oppo to take possession before we lay hands on him, or impede his path or alter his direction. it's also 1%ers, smothers, closing down speed etc etc and obviously it's tackle success and numbers in the tackle.

harry has a very small wheelhouse that he tackles in due to his size and agility and burst, compared to a smaller guy who can lay a pursuit for longer. if that makes sense? so smaller guys who can run faster, change direction quicker, pursuit the ball in tighter spaces have more "pressure" value.

TDK and harry do lay excellent pressure for big men. Pitto not so much - but pitto is there for his attack and not his defence - giving us first use, take a few contested marks around the ground and bullock his way forwards for some clearance value.

on a sidenote I like orazio. for a forward pocket have you seen how much time he spends deep in defence helping out his backs? he's a selfless player, like fogerty in a way. he'll sacrifice his own stats for team success. not many forward pockets move up and down the ground like he does. and i can see why voss picks him, and why the team likes him out there. selflessness in modern sport isn't overly common.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:50 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Braithy wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Pressure rating is a number of things. it's covering the ground, agility to cover the ground, the average time it takes for the oppo to take possession before we lay hands on him, or impede his path or alter his direction. it's also 1%ers, smothers, closing down speed etc etc and obviously it's tackle success and numbers in the tackle.

harry has a very small wheelhouse that he tackles in due to his size and agility and burst, compared to a smaller guy who can lay a pursuit for longer. if that makes sense? so smaller guys who can run faster, change direction quicker, pursuit the ball in tighter spaces have more "pressure" value.

TDK and harry do lay excellent pressure for big men. Pitto not so much - but pitto is there for his attack and not his defence - giving us first use, take a few contested marks around the ground and bullock his way forwards for some clearance value.

on a sidenote I like orazio. for a forward pocket have you seen how much time he spends deep in defence helping out his backs? he's a selfless player, like fogerty in a way. he'll sacrifice his own stats for team success. not many forward pockets move up and down the ground like he does. and i can see why voss picks him, and why the team likes him out there. selflessness in modern sport isn't overly common.

Thanks for doing the work for me Braithy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:57 pm 
Bruce Doull

Pressure equals force per unit of area

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:31 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pressure point! Pressure point!

Ehhhhhhhh……

DILDO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:24 pm 
Geoff Southby

Great win. Batman and Robin went KAPOW! Glad the 2 rucks worked and I was wrong

Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:37 pm 
Rod Ashman

showbag wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
In the first half I thought that GWS was looking fantastic and my queries about who they had beaten were shut down.
Their tackling was manic and referred pressure through the roof. We kept making heaps of unforced errors.
But I wonder if they worked so hard early on that when we made our move, they were out of puff and couldn’t go with us.
For any swimmers out there, it reminded me of Cate Campbell at the Rio Olympics where she went out on the first lap in world record time but faded in the 2nd lap to crash out I think in 6th.
By contrast, we were more like Kyle Chalmers at the same Olympics who was coming last or second last at the turn but stormed home to win…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nah, football is a sport - swimming is recreation. :wink:

;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:31 pm 
Bob Chitty

Excellent win against a good opponent with a lengthy injury list.
Best showing from our midfield all year by a long way. Cripps BOG. Walsh not far behind. Hewett very good. Pitto and TDK giving first use.
Three big boys up front kicking 9 between them.
Boyd is really growing into an impressive player.
Third quarter burst of 6 goals in 7 minutes of play was great to see.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:30 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think the most pleasing thing from yesterday was not only the 2 rucks working, but the fact that with TDK forward we didn't have the 3 talls flying against each other. They kept out of each others way for the most part.

It's amazing how deep we bat now. Remember a few years ago, if we didn't have our absolute best team on the park we fell away dramatically. A lot of the time we fell away with our best team on the park. Not anymore. Players come in and do the job week in week out. It's a credit to our recruiting and coaching staff.

Still a few concerns. I'm genuinely undecided on Elijah. I think he's got skills no doubt, but he is either the slowest player on our list or just had no desire for the chase. I suspect it's a little of both.

Also Charlie is out of form. His kicking for goal outside of 35 is poor. Also some of his field kicking has been pretty average. I know he wants to go quickly, but just have a look before you take off like a cut cat. An out of form Charlie is still finding a way to impact games and generally has a hot patch each game, but I maintain the best of Charlie is still to arrive in 2024. I look forward to it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:54 am 
Wayne Johnston

I don’t think Charlie is out of form, I believe it’s his ankle giving him trouble with his kicking and agility, so he’s only able to play well enough to come second on the goal kicking ladder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:40 am 
Wayne Johnston

I think our training loads kicked in. I think we have training hard for longer than others. Getting wins with on being super competative and sheer grunt. Voss held off the second ruck until now knowing we will be flying. It kicked in in the second half this week. Similar to the second quarter against Gold Coast at the MCG last year. We will be flying now. Shame about the injuries though. Would prefer to have Saad, Cerra and a fit Jacob in the mix for the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:47 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

If sports science was that precise we'd have a team of supermen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:56 am 
Harry Vallence

jake_h03 wrote:
3 votes, P Cripps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

* 6 votes, P. Cripps.

Amazing grit. I knew this team was gutsy, but I didn't even realise they were this gutsy.

Something very special brewing. It's still early, but this just feels right.

GB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:11 am 
Rod Ashman

That blitz in the 3rd quarter was the best quality football I have seen for a long, long time. 1990s perhaps? I reckon that goal Acres kicked against St Kilda last year was the goal of the year and entertaining, but this was that on steroids.

That unique combination of the pressure to hunt, power running, handpassing in packs...swirling movement and intensity of effort....to watch football like that, I would pay $200 per game to watch that type of football. It is beyond entertainment.

It made me reflect on other sports around the world, they simply can't offer anything like that. Other sports are great, I quite like American football for example...you might like soccer or rugby, but they can't compete with what Carlton produced in that 10 minute window. It is unique to have the combination of speed, skill, pressure, tackling, the hunt... just off the charts.

If the Blues can produce that type of football, what an advertisement for our club and our game!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:12 am 
Bruce Doull

The think about Charlie is, it feels like for years & years we've been crying out for a forward who can kick 2-3 quick goals & turn a game. We've got him now, & he can even do it when he's having a crap day. Haven't had this since Fev.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:17 am 
Bruce Doull

Favourite play….

Charlies 3rd goal i believe…the pick up
on the volley and left foot…!

Cripps handball to Fantasia…Fantasia’s balk…
and Charlies pick up…beautiful…!

kindest regards tommi

honourable mention to every Walsh extraction
from the centre…glorious…!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:00 am 
Geoff Southby

Brilliant win.
Our midfield crushed them.
I guess 2 rucks didn't slow us down too much in the end, at least for this game.
Pitto and TDK were outstanding, as were Cripps and Walsh.
Hewett and Kennedy also dominated them.
I thought the wings did a great job and hats off to Ollie who stepped it up this week and finally got some good meterage, he still needs to put some kegs on to be damaging at AFL level, but he was much better than the first 5 games this year.
Aside from the Charlie and Harry show I thought Cottrell really impressed, he's really transformed his game this year and is starting to do some damage, it's clearly been good having Elijah nipping at his heals.
Our defence did an amazing job considering the amount of injuries we have, Boyd was huge in shutting down Green.
I also thought Newman had a great game and stepped it up a notch, he was huge coming out of defence.

If I had to pick a negative, it'd be our tackles inside 50, we really need to lock the ball in more to decrease opposition scoring potential.

Now we just have to back it up against the Cats this week.
I'd love to smash them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next