Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:40 pm 
Robert Walls

Dodo27 wrote:
The Media Obsession with Carlton continues on... Sam Edmund has declared the World is going to end in 4 weeks time because Carlton are at a Crisis point with 3 Key Injuries and a possible stretch of 5 Losses coming up!

Seriously what a Joke.... All Teams have similar injuries.... has anyone mentioned the Saints?

We are 4-1 and will easily win 2 out of the next 5 tough games. That will still leave us in a Strong position. We have depth this year, unlike previous years!

Well, Sam Edmund is Carlton supporter and like many of us - believes the sky is falling!!!
:grin: :grin: :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

It's a shame Billy Wilson suffered concussion. He'd be my choice for a defensive half forward role.
He has the attitude and the pace to create a bit of havoc. I can't see Binns getting the H/F role. He racks up the possies but he's very outside. We need someone who can create some heat when the oppo have the ball.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:08 pm 
Rod Ashman

bluechampion wrote:
Okay... Assuming the injury list is accuarte I honestly think the best combo we can field this week (bearing in mind that we're playing at Marvel and probably need to prioritise run, and I don't personally like playing two rucks) is:

Cincotta - Weitering - Newman
Williams - Kemp - Boyd
O. Hollands - Cripps - Acres
Cottrell - Curnow - E. Hollands
C. Durdin - McKay - Fantasia
DeKoning - Walsh - Hewett

INT:
Kennedy - Owies - Cowan - Binns
sub: Carroll
Emergency: Young

Bear in mind that the only fit players we have this week outside of this team are:

Pittonet (ruck)
S. Durdin (defender & mystery man - not listed as injured, just hasn't seemingly played all year)
Lemmey (developing tall forward)
O'Keefe (developing ruck)
Mirkov (developing ruck coming back from injury)
Moir (1st year forward)
Monahan (1st year Irish import)

I think this is pretty close.
I’d just switch the sub - I prefer to have one of Owies, Durdin or Fantasia as sub (probably Fantasia).
I’d also put Cowan back but throw Concetta forward to play the Fogarty role which I think we’re missing.
I’m looking forward to this match to test us out.
Also. I think GWS have had some pretty easy kills on their way to being undefeated.
And we played really well late last year under injury pressure. Our system is good. We just need to bring back the intensity which was sorely lacking against the
Crows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yep, GWS aren't exactly flying. They were just OK against GC & nearly got done by the saints.

Our injuries are flower annoying but we're right in this. We've just got to play a good contested brand & win

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Ward back this week BOG in reserves on weekend

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:49 pm 
Robert Walls

17th Premiership wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
Okay... Assuming the injury list is accuarte I honestly think the best combo we can field this week (bearing in mind that we're playing at Marvel and probably need to prioritise run, and I don't personally like playing two rucks) is:

Cincotta - Weitering - Newman
Williams - Kemp - Boyd
O. Hollands - Cripps - Acres
Cottrell - Curnow - E. Hollands
C. Durdin - McKay - Fantasia
DeKoning - Walsh - Hewett

INT:
Kennedy - Owies - Cowan - Binns
sub: Carroll
Emergency: Young

Bear in mind that the only fit players we have this week outside of this team are:

Pittonet (ruck)
S. Durdin (defender & mystery man - not listed as injured, just hasn't seemingly played all year)
Lemmey (developing tall forward)
O'Keefe (developing ruck)
Mirkov (developing ruck coming back from injury)
Moir (1st year forward)
Monahan (1st year Irish import)

I think this is pretty close.
I’d just switch the sub - I prefer to have one of Owies, Durdin or Fantasia as sub (probably Fantasia).
I’d also put Cowan back but throw Concetta forward to play the Fogarty role which I think we’re missing.
I’m looking forward to this match to test us out.
Also. I think GWS have had some pretty easy kills on their way to being undefeated.
And we played really well late last year under injury pressure. Our system is good. We just need to bring back the intensity which was sorely lacking against the
Crows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like all of the above. However, we remain a little short in the backline.

If Binns is going to get a game, I’d get a little radical and give Acres the the 3rd tall intercept role - he does plenty of it anyway

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:01 pm 
Harry Vallence

We can't play a shoot out Game against GWS. We need to keep it close and hope to Win the usual way which is by less than a Kick :(

I thought Fogarty was coming back from suspension, didnt realise he has done his Wrist. There is no time frame on his return either. Same for Marchbank... he is out indefinitely..

In other Words, we are Screwed lol... GWS will run us easily :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 pm 
Geoff Southby

Where is Bondi Blue
Isn’t he on the selection committee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:59 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I know we're going to get a huge effort from this group. They don't know any other way now. Just not sure that we have the cattle to go with them. Cogs and especially Taylor out help a lot. Not sure it helps enough

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:17 am 
Craig Bradley

Crusader wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
It really depends on fitness, but we might already be at the point where we have to *try* something.

Kemp as third forward to give us another target?
Young as back-up ruck and tall utility?
Cowan as a medium defensive forward replacing Fogarty?

The changes to the ruck contest has pretty much ended Young’s days as a pinch hitter.

I’m picking up what you’re putting down with Cowan, but I’m not sure he’s the guy - there just doesn’t seem to be much flexibility with our player development… Newman, on the other hand…

The other thing I would add is that there’s a risk of going full Bevo which, oddly enough, is a reverse Vossy.

One of the first things Vossy did was put an end to all of the ‘great ideas’ that had been dreamt up by his predecessors & their offsiders. Square pegs went back into square holes & we started winning games again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:28 am 
Bruce Doull

We should do the opposite of John Kennedy & make it a reverse kanga.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:29 am 
Bruce Doull

MORNING….!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:36 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Is Cincotta available? He didn't play 2's on Sunday - or was he just pulled out as a precaution due to our injuries Saturday night?

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:46 am 
Bruce Doull

He was actually out managed before the firsts even played. Weird.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:54 am 
Stephen Kernahan

So 4-5 weeks then?

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:28 am 
Stephen Kernahan

How Carlton's turnover game directly links to their ruck selection calls

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/04/16/ ... ion-calls/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:47 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Effes wrote:

it's what many of us have been saying. even before the ball was bounced and pittonet was selected, you knew exactly what was going to happen.

the next hoyne investigative piece can be: why you sign the slowest man in the afl to a 4 year deal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:17 am 
Geoff Southby

Effes wrote:

Good read.
Once again we are here, same players, same injuries.
We needed to be ruthless at the draft table the last couple of years and we weren't, we need more durability, speed and skills.
Adelaide was very clean with ball use and their leg speed made it easy for them to get clear of contests with handball chains, transition and hit targets inside 50 with space and at times with ease.
I agree TDK was wasted on the weekend and I don't think Pitto cost us the win, however I don't think we need two rucks in that game especially with Harry doing so well as back up.
I'd rather see Carroll starting and not sub, we lack speed and acceleration in the middle/wings and we were noticeably exposed.
I think it may be time to see how Binns goes on the wing, Ollie had a marginally better but still poor game again, he needs a run in the 2s for a bit, losing Doc has really exposed him IMO.
19 pressure acts and he only stuck 1 tackle, he tries hard but he's just not physically built for AFL level, Adelaide just brushed him aside all day.
At least Acres has not kicked the ball out of bounds on the full lately, however he's opted to kick directly to opposition players instead, a bit cringeworthy for his milestone game.
A lot of could've and should've been moments in that game and unfortunately sometimes it goes your way and sometimes it doesn't.
Our biggest issue is chosing a game style to score with the talent we have left on the park.
This week will be a tough one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:29 am 
Robert Walls

Crusader wrote:
Crusader wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
It really depends on fitness, but we might already be at the point where we have to *try* something.

Kemp as third forward to give us another target?
Young as back-up ruck and tall utility?
Cowan as a medium defensive forward replacing Fogarty?

The changes to the ruck contest has pretty much ended Young’s days as a pinch hitter.

I’m picking up what you’re putting down with Cowan, but I’m not sure he’s the guy - there just doesn’t seem to be much flexibility with our player development… Newman, on the other hand…

The other thing I would add is that there’s a risk of going full Bevo which, oddly enough, is a reverse Vossy.

One of the first things Vossy did was put an end to all of the ‘great ideas’ that had been dreamt up by his predecessors & their offsiders. Square pegs went back into square holes & we started winning games again.

I agree. However, Kemp was sent forward in the VFL two weeks ago, so it's not somthing the coaches are *completely* against.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Effes wrote:

For anyone unsure of the value of winning the turnover game. 17 of the past 18 premiers have been top 3 in the AFL for leading the statistic. Being the leading clearance team isn't on the same page.
That's a reflection of the absolute value of turnover football.

Carlton was the best turnover team in the AFL the first 4 games. 4 wins. Adelaide beat us in that area and our ineffectiveness saw them kick 7 goals transitioning from our forward line.
I know some people may dismiss it as irrelevant data but it is a statistical reflection of the reality. It's not opinion. That's why the clubs use it comprehensively.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next