Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:05 am 
Stephen Kernahan

kingkerna wrote:
Puttung this loss on Pitto is insane. Was one of our better players.

We simply didn't take our moments and leaked some pretty ordinary goals deep in the forward line.

4 kicks
4 handballs
0 marks
1 tackle
1 goal
15 hit outs

Only 6 players out of 46 clocked up less fantasy points and two of those were subbed off.

I think the debate over two rucks versus one ruck is more nuanced than many in here are willing to admit but swapping Cerra out for Pittonet definitely hurt us and I really can’t see how Pittonet was one of our better players.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:20 am 
Bob Chitty

Last year Pitt worked the body of the oppo ruck and then late in the game TdK would be all over them.
This didn't happen yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:20 am 
Robert Walls

Braithy wrote:
Stefchook wrote:
london blue wrote:
And yet we won more clearances!?!

Yeah, it's interesting, isn't it? I checked the stats and was a little surprised to see us slightly ahead. It felt like we were being smashed out of the centre. Maybe it was something to do with the speed and quality of the clearances. Once Saliga, Rankine or Rachele got their hands on it, the ball seemed to zip away.

the clearances i thought we were okay ... it was the coast to coast, slicing us up through the middle. crows would have been licking their lips - cerra out, pitto in. gameplan, put plenty of pace on the ball, get ball, and run and spread and they won't catch us.

and we couldn't.

i cannot believe how many soft tissue injuries we have. we're overtrained and the physios don't know how to fix human bodies. it's a real problem. on paper this team, under voss and his style could and should win it all this year. but we won't bcos of health. it's a real bummer.

We didn’t lose it because of Pitto at all. Played his role.

Adelaide were smart and we were outplayed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:26 am 
Stephen Silvagni

GWS wrote:
kingkerna wrote:

We simply didn't take our moments and leaked some pretty ordinary goals deep in the forward line.

4 kicks
4 handballs
0 marks
1 tackle
1 goal
15 hit outs

Only 6 players out of 46 clocked up less fantasy points and two of those were subbed off.

I think the debate over two rucks versus one ruck is more nuanced than many in here are willing to admit but swapping Cerra out for Pittonet definitely hurt us and I really can’t see how Pittonet was one of our better players.

Stats are fun

6 clearances
5 score involvements
8 contested possessions

To be fair I need to see the impact Adelaide had when he or TDK were rucking. I think we'll find they cleared more against TDK.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:28 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Either way, one mark between both of them is awful

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:48 am 
Wayne Johnston

Sydney Blue wrote:
Cerra has hamstring

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Pretty sure he has two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:52 am 
Bruce Doull

Take out Pittonet's fluke goal, and he might as well have been invisible, IMO.

Never really looked in the contest, which was weird considering we were almost 3 goals up before we completely shat the bed at the end.

Slow as treacle. Handball, handball, handball until coughing it up. Bombing to a contest. Was hard to watch.

Can't wait for Walker to hang up the boots. He'd be like a kid on Christmas Eve the night before he plays Carlton, Keays too.

Rachele is a flog.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:55 am 
Wayne Johnston

Braithy wrote:
Stefchook wrote:
I know every team zones, but I hate the way we've spent a lot of time guarding space the last 2 weeks, without actually applying physical pressure. To concede 18 marks in defensive 50 means that something diabolical went wrong. We didn't seem to be running as hard as they were, so we didn't get back to crowd space. And even when we did. We kept on conceding relatively easy short passes. If the opposition has worked out we want to defensively zone, then it might be time to actually man up in defence.

we really were gut running and trying our best. but you cannot play a man down in 2024. you cannot replace a mid who covers 15km a game with a slow lumbering ruck who covers 6km. missing our best intercept defender and our best line breaker in the team (gov & saad) pittonet was glued to the bench for the last 15 mins of the game - why? bcos you just can't use him.

the forward line was back to being too crowded bcos harry and charlie were down there together more for what they have been the entire season, plus with tdk there as well. ball hits the deck and rebounds out of there a million miles an hour.

people really downplay or aren't aware how including pittonet killed us. pittonet could have kicked 5 goals, but his lack of defensive pressure cost us 6 goals and we lose by 3 points.

people ask how did the crows kick just 4 behinds - their goals weren't difficult and most were from getting in over the back bcos we couldn't slow the ball down.

now we are pretty screwed. more soft tissue injuries and hammy's than what a pro sports team should ever have. cripps running on an empty fuel tank bcos there's a new born in the house, and our cupboard is bare. saad and gov are two injuries (along with the rest we cannot cover)

So if Owies was awarded the goal he kicked (or kicked a goal instead of the ground just before the end) that means you are wrong about playing two rucks?

Wayne Johnston

We needed to have that loss. We’ve been trash all year and have been very lucky to win our first 4 games. We could easily be 1-4 right now and we’ve played some easy teams. The next 6-8 weeks are going to get a hell of a lot tougher. We needed a wake up call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stephen Kernahan

kingkerna wrote:
Either way, one mark between both of them is awful

That’s the point. It’s not about Pittonet. It’s taking both of them in that’s the problem.

Didn’t work with Gawn and Grundy and both those guys are miles ahead of our two in every department.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:59 am 
Wayne Johnston

GWS wrote:
kingkerna wrote:

4 kicks
4 handballs
0 marks
1 tackle
1 goal
15 hit outs

O’Brien had

3 kicks
11 handballs
3 marks
0 goals

TDK + Pitto 35 hitouts vs O’briens 38.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:59 am 
Harry Vallence

Replacing Cerra with Pitto seemed a strange decision. Maybe the MC thought "this is a game we should win, let's play two ruckmen and see what happens". Well, now we know.

Playing Pitto on a heavy track would make more sense. On a hard, fast surface like Marvel, when we aren't the fastest team to start with seemed fraught with danger. Pitto only had 50% game time too which makes his inclusion seem even stranger to me. We were virtually playing one player short, especially considering how little ball he got even when he was out there. Maybe TDK was carrying a niggle and the MC wanted to lighten his work load? Shows how much we miss Jack.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:03 am 
Wayne Johnston

cortez wrote:
Replacing Cerra with Pitto seemed a strange decision. Maybe the MC thought "this is a game we should win, let's play two ruckmen and see what happens". Well, now we know.

Playing Pitto on a heavy track would make more sense. On a hard, fast surface like Marvel, when we aren't the fastest team to start with seemed fraught with danger. Pitto only had 50% game time too which makes his inclusion seem even stranger to me. We were virtually playing one player short, especially considering how little ball he got even when he was out there. Maybe TDK was carrying a niggle and the MC wanted to lighten his work load? Shows how much we miss Jack.

Playing Pitto allowed TDK to play forward more and free up Harry and Charlie.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:03 am 
Bruce Doull

sinbagger wrote:
GWS wrote:
kingkerna wrote:

4 kicks
4 handballs
0 marks
1 tackle
1 goal
15 hit outs

O’Brien had

3 kicks
11 handballs
3 marks
0 goals

TDK + Pitto 35 hitouts vs O’briens 38.
Hitouts to advantage were something like 6-1 Adelaide's way when I last noticed that particular stat on the scoreboard.
The HO stat is meaningless in isolation.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I will ask the question again.
If not Pitto then who.
There was only Binns available and first year players.

We quite possibly have played Young and push Kemp forward or on ball.

Pitto had 50% game time.
His contribution for his time on ground was pretty good. Better than Carroll

We lost the game by poor kicking at goal and a hand full of brain fades

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:20 am 
Ken Hunter

double post

Last edited by Cazzesman on Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:22 am 
Ken Hunter

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/04/13/ ... the-blues/

I think some of the Carlton players were rated very generously.

Aside from the dropped mark in the last, I thought Kemp was very good. While Weits had his hand full, Kemp did a great job on Fogerty, keeping him goal-less and only 6 possessions.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:26 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Cazzesman wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/04/13/grading-every-player-in-adelaides-upset-win-over-the-blues/

Aside from the dropped mark in the last, I thought Kemp was very good. While Weits had his hand full, Kemp did a great job on Fogerty, keeping him goal-less and only 6 possessions.

Regards Cazzesman

Agree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:27 am 
Bob Chitty

Our forward line is becoming a real worry for mine. We’ve got two excellent key forwards and then next to nothing else by way of scoring power. We’ve got some good defensive types up forward but they don’t kick enough goals.

Our small forwards simply aren’t good enough at the moment. Owies is a solid battler with a good set shot but he’s slow and cannot crumb a pack. Durdin doesn’t kick goals regularly either from set shots or general play. Fantasia has ond good goal assist per game but is otherwise anonymous. We need Motlop fit as he at least knows how to crumb a pack and kick a goal.

The next issue is we don’t have a medium forward currently. Look at the impact these guys can have. Greene ang Brown at GWS. O Henry at Geelong. Elliot at Collingwood. Langford at the cheats. Heeney at Sydney before he went into the middle. Even bloody Zurhaar at Norf. Jack Martin plays this role well - kicks goals on the ground and from marks plus a great kick inside 50 - but he’s not durable and never has been save for a few games late last year. JSOS out for the year too. Only other guy is Moir who is 18/19 and as raw as anything.

I suspect this is part of the reason we rarely win convincingly. Our forward line is too one dimensional and unreliable beyond the two big boys.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:33 am 
Geoff Southby

kingkerna wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/04/13/grading-every-player-in-adelaides-upset-win-over-the-blues/

Regards Cazzesman

Agree

Me too . We got bigger problems than Kemp . For instance , we have a two man forward line in Harry and Charlie and thats it . Martin is sadly missed .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next