Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:30 am 
Bruce Comben

Braithy wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Voss said Zac is fine

big news! i thought it could be cramp slowing him down.

I hope its true about Zach (and I think it is). Voss sounded and looked very genuine when he said he was fine. BUT I have heard it before in the after match and....next thing we know out for 2-4 which ends up being 6!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:22 pm 
Bob Chitty

in the past, id call this our steeple chase game ... you know we are going to hit the barrier and fall into the water ...

starting to have abit of confidence with this group.

5 goals, with the heart rate not to get higher than 100!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:02 pm 
Ken Hunter

Crows will be busting a gut to get a win.
They have that scared look we did last year in our dud patch.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

missnaut wrote:

This scares me.

They have nothing to lose by changing things up.

O'Brien is their ruck. He's strong as Nankervis but bigger. He was fantastic against Gawn. He's going to target TDK's body and feed his mids.

I think its time for Pittonet to come in and do the smashing in the ruck. Hopefully bring back our contested ball and goals from that source too.

Give TDK 10 mins in the ruck at the end of each quarter, and TDK becomes our 3rd marking option. He's our only option as 3rd marking forward, whilst SOS and Martin are out, and Kennedy not really providing a marking target down there, let alone a chop out in the ruck.

Last edited by bondiblue on Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:00 pm 
Ken Hunter

^ I agree - I would considering bringing Pitto back in, especially with our clearance game being a bit off yesterday. Teams with nothing to lose can be dangerous.

Fog has been offered a 1 match suspension.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:42 pm 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
missnaut wrote:

This scares me.

They have nothing to lose by changing things up.

O'Brien is their ruck. He's strong as Nankervis but bigger. He was fantastic against Gawn. He's going to target TDK's body and feed his mids.

I think its time for Pittonet to come in and do the smashing in the ruck. Hopefully bring back our contested ball and goals from that source too.

Give TDK 10 mins in the ruck at the end of each quarter, and TDK becomes our 3rd marking option. He's our only option as 3rd marking forward, whilst SOS and Martin are out, and Kennedy not really providing a marking target down there, let alone a chop out in the ruck.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:33 pm 
Craig Bradley

We’re down a gut-running half forward & an inside mid/pressure forward.

Owies will probably come in to fill the pressure forward role, but it might be Durdin that gets a few turns in the centre square. Or, they call on Kennedy more often & hope they can organise themselves enough to not have half the forward line in there for 25% of the game.

If Walsh is fit, then he’ll come in at half forward, but it’s a big ask to have him covering those peak Walsh kms.

Any Walsh is better than no Walsh, but the lineup is looking like exactly the type of opposition to hand Dawson & Smith a kilometre each off half back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:18 am 
Ken Hunter

We really need to win this one. I have had a look at the next handful of games and it is a tough draw.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:24 am 
Bruce Doull

I'm looking forward to that tough run after the Adelaide game. Some great matches there.

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:00 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Hopefully we find form soon. We have been very clunky this year. Probably since the St Kilda game last year really. Teams have worked out how to strangle our overlapping run and shortpasses through the middle that got us all them 8-10 goal wins last year.
Great that we have been able to muscle our way to wins either way. Hard to watch though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:11 pm 
Geoff Southby

adelaide's season is on the line. of the two losses in our last 15 games, fog hasn't played in both of them. we're not playing good footy, and it's baffling we keep winning.

even tho it's april, beware the ides of march eh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:30 pm 
Craig Bradley

Early call…

IN: Walsh, Owies, Binns
OUT: E. Hollands, Fogarty, Kennedy (sub)

Kennedy gets squeezed for the extra runner. Could also go with Moir over Binns, but Owies runs those type of patterns that suit the ‘3rd tall’ role. We’ll be bombing it onto Charlie’s head regardless, so forcing their half backs to hurry up or go wider will be the play.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
adelaide's season is on the line. of the two losses in our last 15 games, fog hasn't played in both of them. we're not playing good footy, and it's baffling we keep winning.

even tho it's april, beware the ides of march eh.

You always find the argument for the negative. This week IS a danger game braithy, so I can empathise. I don't think Fog missing is the reason we could lose this.

Its at Marvel Stadium, therefore indoors. If not indoors, it will be dry and a fast track. That means a marking game for those who have got good hands.

Harry and Charlie will be the obvious danger men for Crows, and they will be given close attention. I'd really like to see TDK (or Kemp) as the 3rd tall.

Last year, as soon as any bounce happened, the Crows would try and hit the ball to the outside of the pack, away from our contested beasts and let their running players come into play. I think they will try this again this week, unless they allow TDK to put the ball where they want it.

Not sure if people recall but OReilly sent TDK back to the reserves following this game last year, and Pitto went off injured. Only played 14% game time.

Fogarty (5), Walker (3.3) and that pain in the arse Keays playing on Saad (but sneaking off) ran into open goals and kicked 3.

What I'd like to see:

OUT: Hollands, Fogarty Kemp Fantasia
IN: Pittonet Marchbank Walsh and Cincotta (sub)

I expect to see:

OUT: Hollands Fogarty
IN: Marchbank Walsh ...and wouldnt be surprised to see Cincotta for Fantasia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:15 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I thought I was reading the ladder up side down when I view some of the posting the last couple of days. Yes we're still below our best but we have beaten a grand finalist away and we beat another unbeaten team Saturday. All without our best young gun who was best finals player in the game last time he took the park. 4 wins, zero losses.

Voss has an understanding of how we need to improve as a team to take the next step and he's implementing strategies to get there. Our scoring profile is changing to give us more weapons and to meet the profile of premiership success. We know 2 rucks will give us better stoppage dominance but it isn't giving us the versatility of game style required. This year we're dominating the turnover game. Combined with defence, that is the profile of the majority of premiership teams. We're currently 3rd in the AFL for scoring from turnover. That is giving us the versatility to change it up to suit the game or opponent. It also makes us more difficult to play against.

Currently we are dominating inside 50 tackles. No.1 Averaging 18 per game. Up from 13th in the AFL last year. Nearly 50% above the next best team. What an achievement by our forwards and a credit to their workrate and connection as a group. We scored 7.2 from forward 50 tackles against the Roos and you can see why Voss is chasing the profile. He knows it equates to success. That's why Voss wants a mobile forward line. How will that go with Pitto slugging it up resting in the forward 50 or occupying the bench? Harry is having a break out year playing up the ground. Clocking up 14km's he dominates the opposition second ruck with his work rate and versatility. Winning clearances isn't the key. Kicking a winning score is. Freo dominated the clearances but only scored 8 points more from clearance than we did.

Yes we can go back to clearance dominance with a change of personnel (Walsh will help significantly) but we're working on developing versatility currently. The more strings to our bow, the more difficult we are to counter. Only 1 of the previous 5 premiers have been top 8 in the AFL for clearances. I know some trolls will disagree for the sake of it but the facts override bluster. We're 4 wins, zero losses. We're one of only 3 undefeated teams and we're still well off our best. Stop looking for negatives and enjoy the ride. Premierships are not won in April. If we can develop our game, establish better versatility and still be up the pointy end whilst building our game, it sets us up for success.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

:clap:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:22 pm 
Ken Hunter

Yeah, well said BV. I expect a bit of over-criticism on TC in the name of reasoned debate, but I found it surprising how many times I've read or heard something in the mainstream media pointing out that we've been getting beaten in the clearances as though it's a major cause for concern, and not asking why that may be. If we can switch between turnover and stoppage mode, and be elite at both, there's no stopping us. It'd be great if we could flip the switch with an identical 23. It's a shame that Pitto doesn't have the tools to be in such a 23, but maybe someone else will be. It's exciting to see where this goes, and great that we're banking enough wins early that we can afford the occasional tactical misstep along the way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:43 pm 
Bruce Doull

I guess people are noticing it because we've been a strong clearance side for quite a while now & it is a significant shift in style. I know people bag Kingy but he was on this last week...but didn't say it was necessarily a bad thing, given we're still winning.

Anyway, Adelaide haven't even played in Melbourne yet this year. They're not coming over & beating Carlton at a packed Marvel on Saturday. They were really poor against Melbourne, margin flattered them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

Anyhow , bout time we buried a side . Reckon we will put our foot on there throat and keep it there . Blues big winners .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Mickstar wrote:
Anyhow , bout time we buried a side . Reckon we will put our foot on there throat and keep it there . Blues big winners .

56 points in the round before this one?

You’re a hard marker Mick! :lol:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

GWS wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

56 points in the round before this one?

You’re a hard marker Mick! :lol:

North aint a side , they are a social experiment so that don't count .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next