Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:59 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

In the time it takes for the captain to locate and notify an umpire anything could have happened including favourable stuff for his own team, like advantage situations. How long do they have? Captains will be strategic about calling or not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:03 am 
Bruce Doull

Better hope Cripps isn't stuck on the bench when that happens in said GF.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:18 am 
Geoff Southby

Wojee wrote:
Better hope Cripps isn't stuck on the bench when that happens in said GF.

True but there are ways around that problem
Any player can call for the one review allowed
Then the captain makes the call even if there on the bench
The technology is there
It’s 2024
No system is perfect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:37 am 
Ken Hunter

The technology is NOT there, the majority of score reviews are either "inconclusive" or affirming the obvious, and thus a total waste of everyone's time, and that's covering about 2% of the playing surface, and you want to extend it to cover all possible events in all possible parts of the ground based on.... the players' acting skills?

"What if it happened to your team in the grand final?" You know what, I'm willing to take that chance if it means not destroying (another of the) sport(s) I love. Let me throw the question back at you: how would you have enjoyed the 79 GF if they'd spent 10 minutes analysing grainy video footage? Would you trust the final verdict?

Last edited by GreatEx on Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:00 am 
Stephen Kernahan

GreatEx wrote:
The technology is NOT there, the majority of score reviews are "inconclusive" and thus a total waste of everyone's time, and that's covering about 2% of the playing surface, and you want to extend it to cover all possible events in all possible parts of the ground based on.... the players' acting skills?

"What if it happened to your team in the grand final?" You know what, I'm willing to take that chance if it means not destroying (another of the) sport(s) I love. Let me throw the question back at you: how would you have enjoyed the 79 GF if they'd spent 10 minutes analysing grainy video footage? Would you trust the final verdict?

In 79 the Channel 7 footage appears to show the ball was out but the ABC footage (in better position and without Harmes obscuring the ball) shows it was actually in.

https://x.com/rhettrospective/status/1657298436931342337

If that game had been decided by the 7 camera we probably would have lost.

Just @#$%&! off any sort of review. Players make mistakes. Umpires make mistakes. Video reviewers make mistakes.

And get rid of the stupid interviews and music at the ground while we’re at it.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:07 am 
Ken Hunter

keogh and doc in agreeance...I love the symmetry in chaos. Lets try and rid the world of all mistakes...I think that book has already been written - mein something or other?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:29 am 
Wayne Johnston

keogh wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
keogh wrote:
A few points
If the teams were completely reversed this forum would be full of whinging of the highest order

If that happened on Grand Final day the game would be a joke given it’s 2024

Times change
Have one captains call maybe two
The review system disrupts the flow of a game that’s great but so be it
Over 120 min a few more disruptions won’t make much difference

And just tell us what Clark said
Don’t @#$%&! around with it

Please tell us more on how these calls would work, so I can rip the idea to pieces.

Thanks

The ball was obviously touched given the player’s reaction
You can tell if the players are trying it on or truly believe it’s touched by body language
The captain goes to the designated umpire in charge to challenge that the ball was touched in flight
They are allowed to challenge once in a game regardless of the result
With all the score reviews having more than one challenge disrupts the flow of the game too much

Now rip it to shreds because imagine if Carlton were on the receiving end of that non call on Grand Final day
How would you feel?

So imagine the ball is kicked forward to Fogarty who marks on the 50 metre line, he’s 20 metres clear of any opposition player with no one in between him and the goals. He has an easy run into range and kick for goal, but he’s not going to make the distance from 50. The opposition captain calls for a review saying the kick was touched. Play is stopped, the opposition flood back into their defensive 50 and Fogarty is surrounded. The review fails. Now what happens? Remember Fogarty can’t make the distance if he’s given a free kick from where he marked it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:31 am 
Wayne Johnston

…as a bonus Carlton are three points behind with 60 seconds to go in the grand final.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:34 am 
Bruce Doull

GWS wrote:
Just @#$%&! off any sort of review. Players make mistakes. Umpires make mistakes. Video reviewers make mistakes.

People seem to want their sport like a video game where all the calls are correct.
Taking the human element out of things makes them sterile.

GWS wrote:
And get rid of the stupid interviews and music at the ground while we’re at it.

Strong agree, unless the song starts with Da Dada Dada I don't wanna hear it. I can't think of anything worse than being at a game in Brisbane and having to listen to the Frozen soundtrack after a home goal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:55 am 
Ken Hunter

It clearly touched the Freo players arm, wrong call but mistakes happen.
Who knows what would have happened if it was called play on, Cottrell may have still kicked the goal. We will never know.
If this had happened midway through the 2nd quarter this would hardly rate a mention.
We have been on the wrong end of bad umpiring mistakes in the past, we didnt like it but that is how it is.
Move on.

Last edited by kezza on Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:20 am 
Geoff Southby

dannyboy wrote:
keogh and doc in agreeance...I love the symmetry in chaos. Lets try and rid the world of all mistakes...I think that book has already been written - mein something or other?

It took a goal by Tom Hawkins that was a point in the 2009 Grannie to initiate a score review system
15 years later it’s still a work in progress
Imagine if StKilda lost that game by 5 points and not 12

If you have one captains call it gives a team a chance to right one wrong
You still have the human element of mistakes as part of the equation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:23 am 
Bruce Doull

kezza wrote:
If his had happened midway through the 2nd quarter this would hardly rate a mention.

& dare I say it, if it was any club other than Carlton or Collingwood the noise around this would have been halved.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:49 am 
Stephen Silvagni

A captains call is the worst idea in the 40+ years that I've been watching footy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:53 am 
Stephen Silvagni

keogh wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
keogh wrote:
A few points
If the teams were completely reversed this forum would be full of whinging of the highest order

If that happened on Grand Final day the game would be a joke given it’s 2024

Times change
Have one captains call maybe two
The review system disrupts the flow of a game that’s great but so be it
Over 120 min a few more disruptions won’t make much difference

And just tell us what Clark said
Don’t @#$%&! around with it

Please tell us more on how these calls would work, so I can rip the idea to pieces.

Thanks

The ball was obviously touched given the player’s reaction
You can tell if the players are trying it on or truly believe it’s touched by body language
The captain goes to the designated umpire in charge to challenge that the ball was touched in flight
They are allowed to challenge once in a game regardless of the result
With all the score reviews having more than one challenge disrupts the flow of the game too much

Now rip it to shreds because imagine if Carlton were on the receiving end of that non call on Grand Final day
How would you feel?

You haven't thought this through at all have you?

So we had the ball, they call for a review, play stops, then what? A ball up? But we could have handballed and goaled anyway.

It would become a strategic thing, up by a kick with minutes left, ball in your forward line but opposition has it, I know let's call for a review so our defenders can get back during the review. It's just shit upon shit upon shit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

It was all captains calls when Football was invented and developing in Melbourne in is formative years in the 1860’s

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:24 pm 
Bruce Comben

grrofunger wrote:
They missed an OOB by Freo in our forward pocket earlier in the game

waaaaaahhhh robbed us of a shot on goal.

Can someone put vision of this up please? The umpires are claiming it wasn't OOBF!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

What about if we bring in a Kaptain Kouta's call?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

Let's save that one for elections

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

kingkerna wrote:
A captains call is the worst idea in the 40+ years that I've been watching footy.

I dunno, the suggestion that play continues if the ball bounces back off the post is up there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
dane wrote:
I think we install snickos on all players to take this out of the game.

i love this! they can be gps based, and in a capsule not unlike a butt plug and inserted into the rectums of all players, and coaches - just to be sure.
:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next