Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: How often…?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:04 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

How often do you see Carlton play live?

I’ve been thinking about this for a while because I haven’t been for some time and I miss it.

When I was a kid growing up (part time) in Carlton I went to every home game if I was at my dad’s.

But life and business got in the way and eventually I settled into a routine of maybe three or four games a year with either a mate who was an opposition supporter or I’d go with Moshe.

But I realised today I haven’t been to a game since Moshe died.

It’ll be four years this August.

Mort Sahl

Post subject: Re: How often…?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:47 pm 
Bruce Doull

I try and get to at least 1 a year.

Will be flying over and taking my youngest son to his first Melbourne game in Round 5 this year.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:17 am 
Bruce Doull

When I was a young guy it was really rare to miss a game & I'd be utterly gutted if I did. I was just thinking the other day actually, about how annoyed I still am at missing Sticks kicking 10 against the Dogs in 95 because I had a family do on that day :grin:

In those days I was going & watching non Carlton games also.

Life's just different now, mainly because of kids. I'll get to I guess 6-8 Carlton games a year, plus as many finals as I can (Carlton or not).

Got a regular group I sit with at Marvel, & mainly go to the MCG by myself.

The Kayo thing has changed it for me I must admit. I really don't mind staying home & watching, partly because now that I'm an old prick I can't stand sitting in the cold. And also I can't stand all the fake noise at the footy. The advertisements, the music, but mostly what ever idiot they have out there at half time running a stupid competition & shouting inane shit that we used to not have to put up with. That used to be quiet time when you could talk to a mate or read the record in peace.

Rant over :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:18 am 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
And also I can't stand all the fake noise at the footy. The advertisements, the music, but mostly what ever idiot they have out there at half time running a stupid competition & shouting inane shit that we used to not have to put up with. That used to be quiet time when you could talk to a mate or read the record in peace.

Rant over :lol:

Nah… keep going.

That stuff drives me absolutely nuts.

It’s unbearable.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:59 am 
Bruce Doull

Yeah i miss it….

been three times in five years…!

it’s just so difficult…it’s an event…plus
relying on someone to push my chair is
depressing…!

wish i could go…but like Cee Kay…sitting in
front of the giant screen makes it all more palatable…!

kindest regards tommi

“How often do you manage it”…?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:16 am 
Laurie Kerr

Living overseas, I usually catch 1-2 live games each year. The win over Richmond was the first live win since 2016.

I was even fortunate enough to go to the Hall of Fame Dinner on Monday.

I am still a full member and given circumstances this year I will be back in Melbourne more often so expect to see quite a few more games (wins :)).

Go Baggers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:31 am 
Bruce Doull

I started barracking for the Blues when I was a kid living at Tresco, a tiny hamlet 20 k's from Swan Hill. Local footy was a bigger part of my life, I'd spend every Saturday morning in Winter playing for the Northern Magpies, then I'd tromp around for the rest of the day in my footy boots (it never occurred to me to bring runners along) wherever Lake Boga were playing that day.

My first VFL/AFL game was in 1982. Carlton vs Melbourne at VFL Park. We were staying with family for the weekend and Dad took me along to the footy. I don't remember much apart from Carlton winning, and me at one point slapping my hand over my mouth when a "Shit!" slipped out, sheepishly looking to see if the old man had heard me. If he had he didn't show it. The other memory I have is the carpark after the game, bedlam. We'd been dropped off by my auntie so we got to avoid most of the waiting.

I went to my second game in 1985, Sydney vs St Kilda at the SGC, Plugger kicked a bag for the Saints but they still got smashed. My parents were on long service leave and we were on our way home after caravanning in QLD for several weeks and stopped and went to the game on a whim. We had a head on with a druggie who turned in front of us in his VW beetle the next morning at the last set of light as you head South out of the Sydney outskirts.

I went to a Carlton vs North Melbourne Friday night game in 91 or 92 while I was living in Melb for Uni, and I'd go to a game every couple of years after then.

I became a member in around 2002 and have tried to get to at least a couple of games a year. One of the kids insists I take her to her "birthday game" every season. It was hard going taking kids to games when you knew that we weren't likely to win.
I took Lil' Miss Wojee to the infamous North game where we were pumped by a million points. I took her to Walker's debut game (my only game at Princes Park) the next season but apparently it didn't make up for it because she's no longer interested in footy.
Thankfully the other 3 are now rusted on Carlton.

Last season I got to around 6 games plus the finals in Melb.
I'll probably get to 4-5 this season.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:36 am 
Wayne Johnston

I think it was in 79 I turned from a casual Melbourne supporter to the blues, it was Jezza’s fault. 81 and 82 sealed the deal. My grandfather captained Sandringham and was offered a place on the Melbourne list but went farming in the Mallee instead so that entire side of the family are rusted on Melbourne supporters.

I can’t remember my first live game, but was probably 86 when I had a gap year before uni, from then until 92 I went pretty much every week with a bunch of mates and loved it, but then I moved to Sydney (thus sinbagger) and was only able to go a few times a year.

I remember one random game at Princes Park I attended alone where whitnal kicked a bag against the dogs, I was surrounded by dogs supporters except for one other random Carlton supporter so we stood together and bagged the crap out of the dogs supports all afternoon.

Then in 2008 weeks moved to Singapore and it became even harder, although I became a full time member in 2002 and have been since.

Since we moved back to nsw I average 2-3 a year, and I went to the Brisbane final last year, still angry at myself for not going to the finals in Melbourne.

I’ve upgraded to captains club add on since my renewal end of 2022 and I won’t be missing any more finals.

I took my daughter to matches every few years while visiting from Singapore including Kades 300th, thankfully she finally saw her first win live in 2022, I remember here confusion at the end where she wanted to leave straight after the game as that’s what she was used to, she didn’t realise the players would come over to the fence and we could applaud them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:51 am 
Laurie Kerr

Very early last Friday morning whilst seating on a replacement bus on the Frankston line, I remembered one of the reasons I don't go to the footy more than a couple of times a year anymore. Used to go 9 or 10 times a year plus finals prior to heading overseas at the end of 2001. Since returning with family ( who aren't interested) and living on the outskirts of town it just got harder. If we make the
grand final I will miss not being able to go but to be fair, fans who kept going during the horror years I was overseas, deserve to go more than me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Last year, I went to the 2 praccy games, followed by first 3 rounds missed Good Friday and went to Gather round to see Walshy's return to the team and saw us get smashed against the Crows. Absoluetely smashed in the midfield, and lost my mojo, and decided to focus on a bit of business and some holidays. Went to 2 more games after that, Dogs and Swans. So disappointing I focussed on some more business and a bit of skiing, but didnt miss watching a game.

I went to the 3 Finals. What a hoot.

So last year 2 praccy games, a 4 VFL games, 6 H&A and 3 Finals.

Planning on about the same this year, but including a Grand Final :wink:

I'd take my kids to more games around the country if they didn't play weekend footy in Sydney. Fk its expensive following Carlton when living in Sydney. I'm addicted.

Last edited by bondiblue on Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:00 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:

My grandfather captained Sandringham .

Your grandfather was a Zebra Captain in 81 82?

Who was he?

I was a mad Zebra fan in the 70's but didn't watch Zebras in 81 82 because I played down the Peninsula on Saturdays in 81 82, whilst I was at Uni, and had to train on Sunday mornings then a few hair of the dogs after that. :beer:

Playing senior footy in the 80's meant I missed a lot of the H & A season.

I also had work at the snow Mondays to Fridays for 6 weeks midseason and played no footy at all during that block, to the disdain of my coach, but went to watch Carlton instead of my mates. Went to all the Carlton Finals in 81 82. :beer:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:09 am 
Bruce Doull

Wojee wrote:
We had a head on with a druggie who turned in front of us in his VW beetle the next morning at the last set of light as you head South out of the Sydney outskirts.

Did you get in a Sydney blue with him over it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:11 am 
Bruce Doull

sinbagger wrote:
but then I moved to Sydney (thus sinbagger)

I always thought it was because Singapore, haha

Also, that Whitnall game was in 98. I'll always remember it because for some reason one of the quarters went for 39 min, can't recall why.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:12 am 
Bruce Doull

tommi wrote:
“How often do you manage it”…?

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:13 am 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
sinbagger wrote:

Who was he?

I was a mad Zebra fan in the 70's but didn't watch Zebras in 81 82 because I played down the Peninsula on Saturdays in 81 82, whilst I was at Uni, and had to train on Sunday mornings then a few hair of the dogs after that. :beer:

I also had work at the snow Mondays to Fridays for 6 weeks midseason and played no footy at all during that block, to the disdain of my coach, but went to watch Carlton instead of my mates. Went to all the Carlton Finals in 81 82. :beer:

Nah, it was a bit before 81 and 81, he was captain in 1925 and 1926, it was Sandringham District Football Club then. IIRC he was offered a place on Melbourne’s list in ‘27 but went farming in the Mallee instead so he could build enough finance to marry my grandmother.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:45 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
sinbagger wrote:

Who was he?

Nah, it was a bit before 81 and 81, he was captain in 1925 and 1926, it was Sandringham District Football Club then. IIRC he was offered a place on Melbourne’s list in ‘27 but went farming in the Mallee instead so he could build enough finance to marry my grandmother.

Way back just before the Great Depression. Tough times regardless, when men were men, and .......

:clap: :clap: :clap: What a guy.

At one stage I barracked for Sandy in Div 1 and Willy in Div 2 after Willy got relegated (loved both teams).
I can't barrack for the Zebras anymore since the VFA was dismantled and they forged a connection with opposition AFL teams.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:35 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

When I was (a lot) younger I went through a 10 year phase of only missing 10 games played in VIC.

Fast forward to now, I have 3 kids and am only just managing to get back to a semi-regular routine. Last year I went to 12 games including finals, this year I expect to get to 15.

It is an effort and the AFL don't really care about the timeslots they give you, particularly when you have kids.

Sometimes it's just easier to kick back at home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I'd probably be happy watching most of the games at home but my daughter loves going and it's something we share together. The time will come when it won't be her priority so I make the most of it while I can. Dad/Daughter time. I have grumpy old man syndrome so I get frustrated when people carry on too much or swear excessively. But I'm slowly improving. :grin:
Last year we went to all home games from memory and the 2 Melbourne finals.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:14 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Go to most if not all games in Melbourne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

About 10 games a year?

I tallied up 2023 and it was 9 H&A and 2 finals. We had our dud streak though and I'd sworn off us so there was a large patch where I didn't go. 2 winning finala was nice tho.
We used to go to an interstate game each year but our record is so bad that I've had enough (went to Gather Round last year...)

I have two kids (6yo and 4yo) so it can be difficult with school nights, weekend sports, etc to get to as many. Sometimes myself or my husband goes solo because it's just easier to do that than to get someone to mind the kids especially the Thurs/Fri night games.
Kids go to some games but they have to be day or twilight games, and honestly they're still a bit young to really enjoy it.

Also like a lot of you sometimes you just can't be bothered - you can stay home and be warm, comfortable and not spend $50+ on stadium food and booze.