Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:28 am 
Rod Ashman

Assuming all are fit, I think they’ll bring Weitering and Hollands straight in (Hollands was firing in both practice matches and isn’t coming off injury). I’d bring Triple M back via the VFL (Marchbank, Motlop & Martin) for reasons of form/match fitness and to ensure injury is genuinely behind them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:55 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sidefx wrote:
I would've thought Cottrell, Fantasia, Elijah and Martin all play the same medium forward role.
IMO you'd need more than 1 small forward.

I guess what I’m saying is that statistically, Owies isn’t a small forward either.

I’ll agree that Fantasia has had to hunt further up field, but Hollands & Martin coming in should relieve him of most of that.

Leaving guys like Cuningham, Owies & Fogarty out might be like punching holes in a load-bearing wall, but we have to start finishing from open play.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:10 pm 
Rod Ashman

I like Cuningham, could just be because I want that draft to be the best ever had by any club….

I’d change Young for Weitering. Young is stiff, I don’t care what anyone thinks.

Maybe swap Durdin for Martin, give him a full game in the 2s.

Otherwise no more changes. This is the new Carlton, you earn your spot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

DesEnglish wrote:
I like Cuningham, could just be because I want that draft to be the best ever had by any club….

I’d change Young for Weitering. Young is stiff, I don’t care what anyone thinks.

Agree with you regarding players having to earn their positions, our North game should be a comfortable win, however need to settle team soon , as there's plenty of stiff challenges ahead, the competition is very even excepting for few exceptionally talented teams at the top.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:43 pm 
Robert Walls

bmaurizio wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:

Agree with you regarding players having to earn their positions, our North game should be a comfortable win, however need to settle team soon , as there's plenty of stiff challenges ahead, the competition is very even excepting for few exceptionally talented teams at the top.

Yeah well said - every game (bar one) is a danger game and the sooner we know who our best 25-26 are, the better

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:57 pm 
Bruce Doull

I thought Cunningham was very good against Bris & good against Rich. He'd be stiff to miss when we get players back, but nice problem to have.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
I thought Cunningham was very good against Bris & good against Rich. He'd be stiff to miss when we get players back, but nice problem to have.
Could have had a very nice goal assist if Curnow had not played on.
Beautiful delivery from the boundary

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
You've convinced me, Mick & Bondi. Weiters for Young, Martin to take Cuningham's starting spot and Cuningham to replace Durdin as sub.

I don't know enough about Elijah to judge whether he's better than any of our wingers/forwards from the Richmond game, but given his indiscretions my general attitude is make him earn it - really earn it. Put a battering ram through the door in the ressies.

:lol: Done nothing of the sort. I've just posed a lot of questions.

Anything can happen, and I hear Tim Watson on Channel 7 News in Melbourne says Walsh is eyeing this Friday, and Weitering ready to go now.

Hollands was a standout in the preseason according the Vossy and Hansen. He is super fit and kicked goals for GCS from 50 out. Good kick.
Like everyone, needs games to fit get to know the style of his new team mates. Then again, can say the same about Fantasia.

Hollands was the pre season standout? Others here were confidently saying that Motlop was the standout.

Regardless I agree that only Weitering and Martin are automatic ins, and we can’t have too many changes to a winning team.

I’m leaning towards making Elijah earn his first game the hard way, I see the sub as a toss up between Elijah and Motlop, if all those mentioned are fit and ready.

I stated " a standout". Very different to 'the stand out". I think there were a few standouts. Nothing outlandish about that.

Sorry sin, but I dont think the "others" you refer to (on this site, sitting behind their keyboard) actually saw much of the preseason, other than the 2 praccy games. Not like Hansen, Vossy and what the actual players saw over the 5 months, and what you will find is they all have their opinion on the standouts. There were a few mentioned by various people who saw most of the preseason: TDK, Motlop, Cottrell, Hollands and Hollands, obviously Walsh was on another level. I think those who were actually present at preseason were the best judges and the "others' here accepted their opinions, nbot the other way around.

What we all did see is Hollands in the praccy game vs Dees as the the busiest and best player on the day who handled the windy conditions, and some 'here' thought Harry was best in both praccy games. Hollands looked great in that game. Ran everywhere and contested everything he could.

Motlop didn't get a mention in those 2 games. Its all part of the preseason. Preseason is a long period of time. Many players have good and bad days. Motlop is young, developing and maybe the improvement stood out, and that's the reason some thought he looked like he might have a break out year, like they said about TDK and Cotts etc

Yeah Hollands was "a" standout.

I don't think the MC will make wholesale changes this week, but I'm expecting a couple. To me Fantasia is the joker in the pack: one more game to see if he can find form, or take this as a chance to drop him for someone more worthy whilst his stats can be used as the reason.

Can't wait for selection and game. Hate the bye.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kingkerna wrote:
I don't get the push to drop Owies, from memory kicked the most goals of our small forwards last year, applies great pressure and is a very good set shot.

and most goals and most tackles for a small forward in 2022.

I think the combo of Owies Durdin and Owies is a great combo when all are fit and firing. Great chemistry.

Whether we go with 3 smalls is another story.

We need a few more goal kickers, who can kick them from further out.

Elijah and Martin can kick goals from 50.

Maybe we go with 2 smalls and 2 mid size and 2 KPs and mix that with a 3rd tall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:

Agree.

Don't laugh, but for me he has that Houlihan class about him. Really neat kick and bloody fast. Hits targets and kicks straight at goal.

Most stats dont show the important stats but his defensive game is through the roof. Nearly 20 pressure points, and he is actually finally tackling.

Nice problem to have as depth if not in our best 23.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Could have had a very nice goal assist if Curnow had not played on.
Beautiful delivery from the boundary

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:57 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Crusader wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
I don't get the push to drop Owies, from memory kicked the most goals of our small forwards last year, applies great pressure and is a very good set shot.

27 goals from 50 shots last year.

21 shots from general play and, according to the xScore figures, he’s in the bottom ten for medium, mid- and small forwards in the league.

xScore Ratings https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_stats.html?year=2023
Set Shot: 0.13
General Play: -0.73
Overall: -0.23

It’s just a statistic, but it suggests that he’s a reliable set shot (albeit from one of the lowest difficulty ratings), but an ordinary crumber.

It’s harsh, but if I ask myself ‘would we miss him?’, the answer is no… not while Fantasia is up and going. Owies’ best asset is between his ears & Fantasia has all of that and the bag of tricks.

For mine, our best forward group is going to be Curnow, McKay, Hollands, Cottrell, Motlop, Fantasia + Martin.

Fantasia isn't up and going. I'm not sure what xscore is, I just know he scored more goals than any other small forward for us.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Different players IMO. Fantasia gets more of his ball on the deck and up the ground. Owies relies more on marking the ball inside 50. Personally I believe they both play as they bring different strengths. It's more a case of Fantasia/Durdin for similarity. Personally, I'd go Fantasia at the moment as he seems in better physical shape and form at the moment. Durdin is definitely the better long term option but he needs continuity with his footy to build confidence.

Similar with Cuningham/E Hollands are the same/same option IMO. Different to the other forwards and offer a midfield option. I'd go Hollands as Cunners drifts out of games too much.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Although I don't agree with it I would not be surprised if Kennedy makes way for one of the ins

Always seems to be the sacrificial lamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The forwardline set up will be evolving till finals.

My preseason best 23 includes Elijah, Motlop Martin Fantasia.

My gut feeling is Durdin Owies Motlop have the best chemistry without Martin (MIA)

It’s going to chop and change. Martin will only play 12 games.

I don’t mind if Martin and Fantasia are cotton wooled for 2nd half of 2024 going into finals.

It’s a long season. We bat deep. There’s no rights and wrongs. Just fitness and form governs pecking order.

As long as Charlie and Harry are targets and TDK stays injury free (impossible for ruckmen), we will have a potent forwardline.

Cunningham Hollands Martin Cottrell even Owies Moir we have plenty of running Med HFs.

Imo Based on preseason E. Hollands is be best 23 when available.

Weitering and Hollands in hopefully.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:09 pm 
Bruce Comben

Weiters back at the expense of Young and also Marchbank is ready to make an apperance .North gave Freo a scare with a 5 goal lead and unless we get on top early ,it might be a grind . I dont mind Fantasia at all,he is finding his feet ,and he did give Harry an accurate kick on the lead ...Im not sure about Williams ,maybe a fit Callum would be a better choice ,with the extra height

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:09 pm 
Craig Bradley

Anyone thinking we're going well enough to leave out best 22 players is kidding themselves. It's nice to be 2-0 and have set our season up nicely, but let's be honest, we could very easily be 0-2.

Play your best team. Even if it means someone is unlucky to be dropped. Motlop and Martin are our most dangerous small/med forawrds by a distance. They are both automatic selections when fit. I think E Hollands will be the same but I haven't really seen him play so I'll leave that to the side for now

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:32 pm 
Horrie Clover

jake_h03 wrote:
Anyone thinking we're going well enough to leave out best 22 players is kidding themselves. It's nice to be 2-0 and have set our season up nicely, but let's be honest, we could very easily be 0-2.

Play your best team. Even if it means someone is unlucky to be dropped. Motlop and Martin are our most dangerous small/med forwards by a distance. They are both automatic selections when fit. I think E Hollands will be the same but I haven't really seen him play so I'll leave that to the side for now

This,
Owies and Durdin just aren't dangerous enough.

Hollands to be the high half forward and Cottrel the defensive forward..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:43 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Martin now impacted by a "minor" hammy so we won't be seeing him this week (at least) at any level.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:28 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rocky Henderson wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

Play your best team. Even if it means someone is unlucky to be dropped. Motlop and Martin are our most dangerous small/med forwards by a distance. They are both automatic selections when fit. I think E Hollands will be the same but I haven't really seen him play so I'll leave that to the side for now

This,
Owies and Durdin just aren't dangerous enough.

Hollands to be the high half forward and Cottrel the defensive forward..

agree owies and durdin aren't anything special as crumbing forwards or defensive pressure forwards. motlop offers more - and hopefully Moir is the small forward we've been craving since garlett and betts left.

fantasia will come out of the team only when martin is fit. the hope is that between fantasia and martin, one is at least fit.

not sure marchbank comes straight in ... knowing voss & how popular marchbank is with the playing group, he probably comes in at kemp's expense. hopefully not tho.

either way this friday we need to make a statement. much has been made that the coaching staff viewed this game as our opening round and trained for it with all that loading in the final weeks of preseason.

sydney, gws and port all look good. be great if we came out and dulled a bit of this all sydney/ interstate gf talk.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next