Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:09 am 
Craig Bradley

GreatEx wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
[]

If you watch the replay you'll see Kemp was pretty @#$%&! good apart from that one horrendous error

I count three bad errors - the turnover for Richmond's last goal, the attempted speccie that gifted them an easy goal, and blazing it oobotf from 60m instead of putting it to the top of the square. But I agree he made some good intercepts and got his hands on the ball deep in defence at crucial times.

I’m ok with the attempted speccy, he was caught behind and had to jump at the ball or he would have been outmarked by the taller player. Also it was Guvs fault as much as Kemp, the ball went to ground and rolled between Guvs legs to the tiger player, he should have picked it up.

I have to disagree with you there - rule of thumb as a defender is that if you go the speccie, you'd better @#$%&! take it. Because if you miss, you're taking yourself out of the play, and probably some of your teammates too. If you can't mark, go the punch. That's why a lot of experienced defenders go the punch even when it seems they could easily have marked, it's the smart play. I can't be having it that Gov is equally to blame, you're equating not having the reflexes of a cat with making low-percentage decisions. But hey, at least it's not as bad as Surrey singling Gov out as one of the two biggest blunderers on the night when he had 26 possies at 92% while taking on the high-risk high-rewards kicks through the corridor. :D

Same here. Saad made the same error last week and it nearly cost us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:12 am 
Ken Hunter

jim wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
Can someone explain why Charlie's stuff up wasn't a point?
I recall it was paid holding the ball, if that's the case why was it referred to the video?

It was either a goal, if it hit his foot, or holding the ball, because it missed his foot. With the free kick, it can't be a point. You could hear the umpire say if it wasn't a goal it was a free kick for HTB.

Interesting, I didn't realise at the time that it hadn't been given as a point. The replay showed a deflection off Charlie, but I thought at the time a point had been given because there was inconclusive evidence it hadn't subsequently touched the Richmond player's foot. So having established it was HTB, the decision can only be justified if the ball came off a different part of Charlie's leg. Does it count as a legal disposal if it hits his shin?

I agree with whoever said in the live thread that he deserved to have the goal chalked off even if it did brush his foot, consider it a stupidity tax.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:22 am 
Ken Hunter

jim wrote:
missnaut wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:
I can't believe more aren't ticked off with Charlie playing on in the goal square. If you mark the ball in the goal square just go back and kick the @#$%&! goal! Almost cost us the game. There were some terrible errors made tonight. And some really bad set shot goal kicking. We got away with it. That was a comfortable 5 goal victory made exceedingly difficult
It worked for Acres in the semi LOL

Acres had more awareness of what was around him.
You'd also rather Acres play on than have time and go and kick his standard OOF for the match.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:27 am 
Craig Bradley

GreatEx wrote:
jim wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
Can someone explain why Charlie's stuff up wasn't a point?
I recall it was paid holding the ball, if that's the case why was it referred to the video?

It was either a goal, if it hit his foot, or holding the ball, because it missed his foot. With the free kick, it can't be a point. You could hear the umpire say if it wasn't a goal it was a free kick for HTB.

Interesting, I didn't realise at the time that it hadn't been given as a point. The replay showed a deflection off Charlie, but I thought at the time a point had been given because there was inconclusive evidence it hadn't subsequently touched the Richmond player's foot. So having established it was HTB, the decision can only be justified if the ball came off a different part of Charlie's leg. Does it count as a legal disposal if it hits his shin?

I agree with whoever said in the live thread that he deserved to have the goal chalked off even if it did brush his foot, consider it a stupidity tax.

If it hit his shin then it's a goal as it is below the knee. Above the knee it's not legal.

It went on the scoreboard by mistake as a point. Notice when Boyd kicked his point the scoreboard didn't change. After his shot, the scoreboard went down for a few seconds then come back up the same score. Heard the explanation on SEN this morning.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:41 am 
Craig Bradley

The omens are good. The only other time a side has been 2-0 after round 1 was us in 1979 when our round 3 game against Essendon* was played before round 1. We were premiers that year!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:10 pm 
Robert Walls

It was a frustrating win, but it wasn't dire.

Richmond wanted to win - to make up for last week. They came out ready to go.
Also, we struggle with them and their style of play at the best of times.
They got three good players back, and had a little early help from the umps.

But we still won. We should have won by more, but you could see it wasn't due to a lack of effort on our part. If anything some of them were trying *too* hard - too hard to move the ball quickly, to play to instruction, to bring other players in, to turn a 50/50 shot at goal into a certainty. And because of Richmond's pressure, they made mistakes.

But we still won.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

Forget the Coleman for Harry, he would be leading the Brownlow at the moment :)

OK, give him the Coleman as well

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluechampion wrote:
It was a frustrating win, but it wasn't dire.

Richmond wanted to win - to make up for last week. They came out ready to go.
Also, we struggle with them and their style of play at the best of times.
They got three good players back, and had a little early help from the umps.

But we still won. We should have won by more, but you could see it wasn't due to a lack of effort on our part. If anything some of them were trying *too* hard - too hard to move the ball quickly, to play to instruction, to bring other players in, to turn a 50/50 shot at goal into a certainty. And because of Richmond's pressure, they made mistakes.

But we still won.

Well said.

Like last week, all we wanted was the 4 points, and the boys delievered. Winning all of the last 6 close games shows character and belief from the 23 selected.

We have 6 best players missing through injury/ suspension, and we should appreciate the challenge our developing young players are prepared to take on, and deliver.

We are winning without our best 23 on the ground, proving the depth in the list is good regardless of all the Plowman like vitriol young developing players like Young, Kemp, Carroll, Durdin and Ollie have copped from yesterday's game. Unbelievable to think some of these young men were heroes last week in our historic win at the Gabba, and Durdin came in as a sub for his first hit out of the year.

We won. Tigers lost. Thank god.

In last year's draw Lynch kicked 3 goals 3 behinds against Weitering. He outmarked Weiters several times. The year before Lynch kicked 3 goals against Weiters in a loss.

Lynch is an AA. He's kicked bags of 7 and 8 goals against Jones and Weitering when at the GCS. The umpires gifted Lynch 2 first quarter goals, and 194cm 100kg Balta going full face, whilst turning Young was able to break Young's stretched arms in an attempt to tackle and kicked a goal. Tackling against the odds happens to every player. It wasn't pathetic, it was footy. It was great play by Balta.

If someone was to tell me Lynch would kick 2 goals against Young from 2 free kicks (one against Rioli :eek: and the other against TDK and another by Balta, I would take that in a blink. I thought Young was good and glad to have him developing on our list. Yetserday's game was great for his and Kempy's development. Carroll might not have a right foot, but he's showing signs he could be something. They all did OK to help us win.

We learn and we move forward.

Last edited by bondiblue on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:15 pm 
Garry Crane

good to win games when the team NOT playing well, but once again we need to be smarter going inside our F50 , look what it has done to melbourne cost them big time ,i do not want the same scenario happening to us .(eg dees like 63 inside 50 and still lose).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:23 pm 
Laurie Kerr

To everybody who is hanging Kemp for the turnover that led to their final goal: I beg of you go back and watch the replay closely.

Rioli stops in the protected area, turns and lays a smother. 50 metre penalty everyday of the week.

Attachments:
50edit.jpg
50edit.jpg [ 172.66 KiB | Viewed 473 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

Went last night and while it was not the best game just happy with the win.
Pretty scrappy at times and boy did we make some stupid mistakes.
Looks like we got out of it unscathed, shame about the Richmond player who did his ACL. Too many injuries so far this year.
I managed to get through work after very little sleep and a hoarse throat.
McGovern was great, probably played his best game for the club.
Hollands has been poor so far this year and fumbly.
Seems weird having a bye at this time of the year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:02 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

cortez wrote:
RickJ wrote:
Must persist with Kemp despite his clangers. Contested intercept marking is absolute Gold. Can’t coach that can’t buy that. Can coach the other stuff out of him. Don’t want to make him too frightened to make a mistake or he’ll start punching everything, not marking when he can and will hold the ball when he has it, not take a risk and just kick it safe 15 metres behind him. Young players are at risk for this.

This. This kid could be a star for us for years to come.

He reminds a little of a young Andrew Walker. Pagan did his best to take the flair out of his game. I hope we don't do the same with Kemp. He is going to make some mistakes at times. He will learn when there's a time to fly for the screamer or take on the difficult kick. Then there's a time to play the percentages. Like Charlie, it's the confidence and flair to try this that makes them the players they are. It can be tempered without being extinguished. Get smarter on the field and realise your full potential

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

GreatEx wrote:
99prelim wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:
I can't believe more aren't ticked off with Charlie playing on in the goal square. If you mark the ball in the goal square just go back and kick the @#$%&! goal! Almost cost us the game. There were some terrible errors made tonight. And some really bad set shot goal kicking. We got away with it. That was a comfortable 5 goal victory made exceedingly difficult

Agree about Charlie. Needs a kick up the backside. Also needs another kick up the backside when he tries to fire in those 40m "worm burners" into the corridor which take extraordinary skill

They missed some sitters as well. In fact, I will say that if Prestia plays, we lose that game

We won...I'm rapt!!

We probably should have lost, notwithstanding the fact that they got 2 bs free kicks at the start

I was livid with Charlie most of the night. The goal square incident was the obvious one, but I was also disproportionately annoyed in the first 15 seconds when we were 35m from goal and about to earn a stoppage that would have created early pressure, but he grabs the ball and tries an impossible shot that flew 20m wide of the behind post and gave them an easy escape. Just foolish, self centred play. You get some good and some bad from Charlie, last night was more bad than good but it's a price worth paying for the good... although I do sometimes wonder whether cutting some of the bad would come at the expense of the good! I guess we'll never know.

imo it absolutely would.

you need to encourage that flair and creativity and off-cuff play. for better or for worse. you can't coach it, and when you find it, you embrace it.

having a convo with a mate who's high up at qld rugby league ... and him and his scouts all talk about the lack of halves and fullbacks coming through. bcos they're being coached out of all creativity from a super young age. being disciplined and regimented and playing the high percentages is robbing the game from playmakers and creativity like slater, langer, johns, sterling, lewis etc ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:03 pm 
Rod Ashman

We've gone from 'honourable losses' in the Bolton era to 'underwhelming wins' now. Nice.
Go Blues!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

CFC8795 wrote:
We've gone from 'honourable losses' in the Bolton era to 'underwhelming wins' now. Nice.
Go Blues!

Ill take it lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:24 pm 
Bruce Doull

Doesn't seem that long ago that we always lost close games like this.

That debacle at Gold Coast where the ball went through Gov's legs. The Robbie Gray game where we just had to hold possession but couldn't. The Hawks game at Tassie.

Etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

peabody wrote:
To everybody who is hanging Kemp for the turnover that led to their final goal: I beg of you go back and watch the replay closely.

Rioli stops in the protected area, turns and lays a smother. 50 metre penalty everyday of the week.

There are 2 Richmond players in the protected zone. One each side and not just that, they where doing it all night.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

peabody wrote:

YES !!

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:54 pm 
Bob Chitty

Good to bank the 4 points and move to 2-0 despite not playing well. We should have buried them either in that second quarter or fourth quarter but let them off the hook too many times. The positive is we won while not playing anywhere near our best and without key personnel.

Cripps, H, Gov, Saad and Newman all good. TDK’s last quarter was immense. Carroll showing a lot.

Will be good to get to the bye, reset a bit, hopefully get a few good players back and then set ourselves for some very winnable games.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

I'm actually not minding going back in time with curlew playing backline when things are tight in the last. Doesn't look like missing it and prefer it to stinking it up essenshchizen style dinkying it around like a mofo. As they say in the classics, knights in Satan's service

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next