Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:27 am 
Bob Chitty

Lowey_47 wrote:
I'm actually not minding going back in time with curlew playing backline when things are tight in the last. Doesn't look like missing it and prefer it to stinking it up essenshchizen style dinkying it around like a mofo. As they say in the classics, knights in Satan's service

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

i dont mind the move, but i think we pulled that trigger way to early against the tigers ... think we did it with about 5 mins to go ... thats along time to defend a lead ...

anyways, i like most on here, pleased with the win. We are showing glimpses, but i put abit of faith in the comments about being in a heavy training load, as we looked it at times against the tigers.

still 2-0, is a great start to the season.

wins gives us options i.e. no need to rush players back in, let them get right and bring them in when they are ready. wins give us that option.

i dont want to get a head of ourselves but with North next game, Freo in Adelaide have a real oppoortunity to go 4-0 ... sets up our season perfectly.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:49 am 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
It was a frustrating win, but it wasn't dire.

Richmond wanted to win - to make up for last week. They came out ready to go.
Also, we struggle with them and their style of play at the best of times.
They got three good players back, and had a little early help from the umps.

But we still won. We should have won by more, but you could see it wasn't due to a lack of effort on our part. If anything some of them were trying *too* hard - too hard to move the ball quickly, to play to instruction, to bring other players in, to turn a 50/50 shot at goal into a certainty. And because of Richmond's pressure, they made mistakes.

But we still won.

Well said.

Like last week, all we wanted was the 4 points, and the boys delievered. Winning all of the last 6 close games shows character and belief from the 23 selected.

We have 6 best players missing through injury/ suspension, and we should appreciate the challenge our developing young players are prepared to take on, and deliver.

We are winning without our best 23 on the ground, proving the depth in the list is good regardless of all the Plowman like vitriol young developing players like Young, Kemp, Carroll, Durdin and Ollie have copped from yesterday's game. Unbelievable to think some of these young men were heroes last week in our historic win at the Gabba, and Durdin came in as a sub for his first hit out of the year.

We won. Tigers lost. Thank god.

In last year's draw Lynch kicked 3 goals 3 behinds against Weitering. He outmarked Weiters several times. The year before Lynch kicked 3 goals against Weiters in a loss.

Lynch is an AA. He's kicked bags of 7 and 8 goals against Jones and Weitering when at the GCS. The umpires gifted Lynch 2 first quarter goals, and 194cm 100kg Balta going full face, whilst turning Young was able to break Young's stretched arms in an attempt to tackle and kicked a goal. Tackling against the odds happens to every player. It wasn't pathetic, it was footy. It was great play by Balta.

If someone was to tell me Lynch would kick 2 goals against Young from 2 free kicks (one against Rioli :eek: and the other against TDK and another by Balta, I would take that in a blink. I thought Young was good and glad to have him developing on our list. Yetserday's game was great for his and Kempy's development. Carroll might not have a right foot, but he's showing signs he could be something. They all did OK to help us win.

We learn and we move forward.

Richmond won the clearances contested possession and turn over
We won but we’re very lucky
As usual umpiring favored the Tiggies according to some
That’s bullshit
In fact Carlton had 7 more free kicks
The 50 DeKoning got was debatable

The bottom line is all supporters should realise deep down that no game is a gimmy
They can bang on about how they are going to smash the opposition
But it’s manufactured blind faith

We still must improve our ability to cause turnovers and score from them
We rely too much on winning stoppages and contested possession
Richmond lacked the polish of the better teams but were a bit unlucky on Thursday night

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:53 am 
Wayne Johnston

GreatEx wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
[]

If you watch the replay you'll see Kemp was pretty @#$%&! good apart from that one horrendous error

I count three bad errors - the turnover for Richmond's last goal, the attempted speccie that gifted them an easy goal, and blazing it oobotf from 60m instead of putting it to the top of the square. But I agree he made some good intercepts and got his hands on the ball deep in defence at crucial times.

I’m ok with the attempted speccy, he was caught behind and had to jump at the ball or he would have been outmarked by the taller player. Also it was Guvs fault as much as Kemp, the ball went to ground and rolled between Guvs legs to the tiger player, he should have picked it up.

I have to disagree with you there - rule of thumb as a defender is that if you go the speccie, you'd better @#$%&! take it. Because if you miss, you're taking yourself out of the play, and probably some of your teammates too. If you can't mark, go the punch. That's why a lot of experienced defenders go the punch even when it seems they could easily have marked, it's the smart play. I can't be having it that Gov is equally to blame, you're equating not having the reflexes of a cat with making low-percentage decisions. But hey, at least it's not as bad as Surrey singling Gov out as one of the two biggest blunderers on the night when he had 26 possies at 92% while taking on the high-risk high-rewards kicks through the corridor. :D

Fair enough, I agree he should have punched.

Just wondering if he had punched while standing on the Richmond’s players shoulders if the umpire would have pinged him for making an “unrealistic attempt to mark”?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:16 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

But we still won. We should have won by more, but you could see it wasn't due to a lack of effort on our part. If anything some of them were trying *too* hard - too hard to move the ball quickly, to play to instruction, to bring other players in, to turn a 50/50 shot at goal into a certainty. And because of Richmond's pressure, they made mistakes.

But we still won.

Well said.

Like last week, all we wanted was the 4 points, and the boys delievered. Winning all of the last 6 close games shows character and belief from the 23 selected.

We have 6 best players missing through injury/ suspension, and we should appreciate the challenge our developing young players are prepared to take on, and deliver.

We are winning without our best 23 on the ground, proving the depth in the list is good regardless of all the Plowman like vitriol young developing players like Young, Kemp, Carroll, Durdin and Ollie have copped from yesterday's game. Unbelievable to think some of these young men were heroes last week in our historic win at the Gabba, and Durdin came in as a sub for his first hit out of the year.

In last year's draw Lynch kicked 3 goals 3 behinds against Weitering. He outmarked Weiters several times. The year before Lynch kicked 3 goals against Weiters in a loss.

Lynch is an AA. He's kicked bags of 7 and 8 goals against Jones and Weitering when at the GCS. The umpires gifted Lynch 2 first quarter goals, and 194cm 100kg Balta going full face, whilst turning Young was able to break Young's stretched arms in an attempt to tackle and kicked a goal. Tackling against the odds happens to every player. It wasn't pathetic, it was footy. It was great play by Balta.

If someone was to tell me Lynch would kick 2 goals against Young from 2 free kicks (one against Rioli :eek: and the other against TDK and another by Balta, I would take that in a blink. I thought Young was good and glad to have him developing on our list. Yetserday's game was great for his and Kempy's development. Carroll might not have a right foot, but he's showing signs he could be something. They all did OK to help us win.

That’s bullshit

The bottom line is all supporters should realise deep down that no game is a gimmy

Richmond lacked the polish of the better teams but were a bit unlucky on Thursday night

Good post keogh

I know most people like to use the word luck, but I dont believe in luck in footy.
The bounce of the ball...some can judge it, some can't. Jezza was a master.
The ball goes anywhere because of its shape and physics; not luck.
Umpire mistakes or bias are mistakes or bias; not luck.
A mark sticks on the end of finger tips is a mark; not luck.

The game is about millimetres. We all know thay.
Tht's why 1 percenters are so important.
We use to lose close games because we weren't good enough.
We have won our last 6 gams by a goal or less, because we were good enough.
We have matured. We have learned the lesson.

wayne carey on x said

Quote:
“Everyone wants blues to win including umpires”.

after the 50 metre penalty that led to a goals.

Article in Herald sun made it clear

Quote:
But both sides benefited from questionable umpiring calls. A pair of soft free kicks gifted Richmond spearhead Tom Lynch two straightforward goals to help the Tigers stay in touch with Carlton early.

Lynch was awarded a free kick when De Koning was judged to have pushed him in the back in a ruck contest.

Its where those frees were given that really matters. ie the result of the frees.

Former Carlton player Daniel Gorringe tweeted:

Quote:
“That Lynch TDK free kick might be the worst call of all time.”

Have to mention we lost clearances and in the first 3 quarters Nankervis had the most clearances :eek:
There's something in that, we can learn from.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:17 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

But we still won.

Well said.

That’s bullshit

We won in a different way, in fact we scored more goals from what you say is our weakness, "goals from turnover," and lost with our one wood, "goals from stoppages".

After 2 rounds, I don't think there's a reliance on anything any more. We found a different way to win.

We actually were the better team in every stat, and there was more to it than luck. We are maturing, but agree with what your premise is, that we can't take any opposition lightly.

I'm not sure if you know but Vossy pointed out it was decided to increase our training loads a few weeks back and finish them before the bye, and see what happens in first 2 rounds, then refresh in the bye, and take on the season from there. There's a bit of science there. We were good enough to win the first 2.

We are heading in the right direction this year. Very different to last year imo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:18 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
[]

If you watch the replay you'll see Kemp was pretty @#$%&! good apart from that one horrendous error

I count three bad errors - the turnover for Richmond's last goal, the attempted speccie that gifted them an easy goal, and blazing it oobotf from 60m instead of putting it to the top of the square. But I agree he made some good intercepts and got his hands on the ball deep in defence at crucial times.

I’m ok with the attempted speccy, he was caught behind and had to jump at the ball or he would have been outmarked by the taller player. Also it was Guvs fault as much as Kemp, the ball went to ground and rolled between Guvs legs to the tiger player, he should have picked it up.

I have to disagree with you there - rule of thumb as a defender is that if you go the speccie, you'd better @#$%&! take it. Because if you miss, you're taking yourself out of the play, and probably some of your teammates too. If you can't mark, go the punch. That's why a lot of experienced defenders go the punch even when it seems they could easily have marked, it's the smart play. I can't be having it that Gov is equally to blame, you're equating not having the reflexes of a cat with making low-percentage decisions. But hey, at least it's not as bad as Surrey singling Gov out as one of the two biggest blunderers on the night when he had 26 possies at 92% while taking on the high-risk high-rewards kicks through the corridor. :D

Fair enough, I agree he should have punched.

Just wondering if he had punched while standing on the Richmond’s players shoulders if the umpire would have pinged him for making an “unrealistic attempt to mark”?

You can do that if the ball is your focus and you aare up there with the intent to clear the ball. Every right to do so.

I think your point is that one umpire may see it differently :screwy:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

They just believe in their game plan and roles so much more this year. So organised in the last 5 mins. Love it. Feeling good about this year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

keogh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

But we still won.

Well said.

That’s bullshit

lucky ... :garthp: :roll:

We earned most of our frees through tackling, a lot of them were holding the ball frees.

We weren't gifted bullshit like they were early and if you want to mention TDKs 50 as being iffy, they also missed one that Kemp should have got for Rioli smothering it from remaining inside the protected zone after the mark.... so it evens out.

I'd like them to stop publishing the free kick count because it is wildly misleading.

Also a significant portion of our score was from turnover as opposed to stoppage/clearance so we are developing this area.

We supposedly are a contested/stoppage team yet were beaten soundly in this area and we won the game.

We are clearly developing our turnover game, we clearly know how to win close games now, we are 2-0 coming off a prelim last year.

I don't understand why anyone would be unhappy

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

AND we are missing some pretty bloody handy players at the moment.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:43 pm 
Bruce Doull

Not unhappy with the win, but glad that game's over. It was just a frustrating match.

Get a bit of momentum & some players back & we really should win our next 3

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

I thought 1-1 was the best we could hope for; I'm over the moon to be 2-0 and the bye to come. Players missing, heavy training loads, and yet here we are sitting pretty. We are a much more hard nosed outfit now, we hang tough where once we wouldn't have got close to winning those games.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

Wojee wrote:
Traveller86 wrote:
According to the socials, the umpires gifted Carlton the win!
Richmond got 4 of their first 5 goals directly from iffy umpiring.

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk

Agree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:05 pm 
Rod Ashman

grrofunger wrote:
keogh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

But we still won.

Well said.

That’s bullshit

lucky ... :garthp: :roll:

We earned most of our frees through tackling, a lot of them were holding the ball frees.

We weren't gifted bullshit like they were early and if you want to mention TDKs 50 as being iffy, they also missed one that Kemp should have got for Rioli smothering it from remaining inside the protected zone after the mark.... so it evens out.

I'd like them to stop publishing the free kick count because it is wildly misleading.

Also a significant portion of our score was from turnover as opposed to stoppage/clearance so we are developing this area.

We supposedly are a contested/stoppage team yet were beaten soundly in this area and we won the game.

We are clearly developing our turnover game, we clearly know how to win close games now, we are 2-0 coming off a prelim last year.

I don't understand why anyone would be unhappy

I was there and I certainly wasn't unhappy. Felt we were the better side and didn't capitalize enough on our opportunities. I get we were beaten in the middle but we found another way to win which to me shows we are a more mature side, and even though we were beaten for contested ball we still looked better for the best part of the game and we had more F50 entires and time spent in F50. Richmond's first 4 goals were gifted frees, the type of frees that regularly umpires don't pay and overlook.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

sticksaftersiren87 wrote:
They just believe in their game plan and roles so much more this year. So organised in the last 5 mins. Love it. Feeling good about this year.

This is true. I surprised myself with how relaxed I was in those closing minutes. It could have been the red wine coursing through my veins. It could have been because being 1-1 at the bye was a perfectly satisfactory outcome given our opening fixture. But mainly because I was aware of our recent winning margins and knew they were not due to luck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

GreatEx wrote:
sticksaftersiren87 wrote:

This is true. I surprised myself with how relaxed I was in those closing minutes. It could have been the red wine coursing through my veins. It could have been because being 1-1 at the bye was a perfectly satisfactory outcome given our opening fixture. But mainly because I was aware of our recent winning margins and knew they were not due to luck.

Agree GreatEx. Always had the sense we’d win it. Felt like we had it under control, although anything could have happened at the death, with Shai Bolton flashing past. We are being hailed as the new Collingwood as masters of the close finish. While Collingwood last year ran over teams to clinch wins, we have the steadiness and confidence and resolve and systems to hold on. Twelve months ago we would have lost both of the last 2 games. Our last 2 mins in both games have been sensational. Closing it down holding it in, making it happen.
How flower enjoyable is football.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:43 pm 
Geoff Southby

Happy to be 2 zip
What shits me is the assumption by some that we are dead set certainties in some game
The game against North ain’t a dead set certainty

An umpire bashing is in most cases is a deflection on teams performance
It’s such an even competition

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:27 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
Not unhappy with the win, but glad that game's over. It was just a frustrating match.

Get a bit of momentum & some players back & we really should win our next 3

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

Ive watched the game 3 times now.
I really liked the game live and both replays.
It was different.
Loved seeing our run out from defence and getting shots on goal.

it wasn't a great Carlton game, and don't think I could watch it again TBH.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:34 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
Happy to be 2 zip
What shits me is the assumption by some that we are dead set certainties in some game
The game against North ain’t a dead set certainty

An umpire bashing is in most cases is a deflection on teams performance
It’s such an even competition

Its footy keogh
Many of us are in footy tipping comps at work or with friends, especially in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.
So, we have to make a selection.
From careful analysis for selection, assumptions are made by everyone. Everyone.
The final selection is the punt, or in some cases dead set if this and if that happens.
There's always probability if this or that happens.

There are no gimme's, agreed.
But we can assume from the recent record, Carlton circa 2024 will commit to the contest and pressure, and pressure on spots in the team, destined for Finals, will bring out the best in them week in week. The probability of that is high.
That remains until we see the coach losing the players. That is dead set not happening :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:59 pm 
Craig Bradley

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... Iz4z8bWsAs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:27 pm 
Robert Walls

grrofunger wrote:
AND we are missing some pretty bloody handy players at the moment.

And they lost Prestia and Gibcus during the game

IMHO...Prestia plays 4 qtrs, we probably lose, given how the night panned out

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next