Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:42 am 
Bruce Doull

Friday March 8

Brisbane Lions v Carlton, Gabba (7.40pm)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:49 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Can we request an adjournment?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:42 am 
Ken Hunter

That was quick!

Good to start the season with a free hit.

Stuff the negativity show on these boards. Pre-season form means shit. More important is the fitness level of the squad. Walsh's back a concern, Weitering a huge miss but won't be out for long. JSOS a huge loss for the year so we have to hope there aren't too many more. For the time being we still have an excellent squad available.

Feeling good about the season, can't wait for the temperatures to drop so I can wear more of my member's gear. And because I hate the heat generally.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

We are definitely going in as the underdog in round 0.
Lions are in good form and have a healthy list to pick from for THIS round.

Vossy trialled a few things in the praccy games. Players did not seem 100% committed to the contest in praccy games. I wouldnt read too much in those games.

I expect Walsh and Williams have been held back to be ready for this game. They will help a lot.

I do not want Kemp and Gov as our KPs vs Hipwood and Daniher. The latter too big for our boys.
Young should play and hope Sam Durdin is fit enough to play AFL, if Marchy is still out.

Lets hope we take advantage of our forward entries and stop bombing it in there ad nauseum. We're too predictable.
If we go in with one ruck (which I doubt), then when TDK is off for a rest, and Harry is in the ruck, bombing it to Charlie vs Andrews and the other spare tall will be futile. We need Charlie to run and jump for the ball, or lead out in space. I expect to see that this week.

Lions didn't lose a game at the Gabba last year, and I doubt they will lose one this year too. Anything can happen.

We will be fine this year, and Baggers will be worth watching week in week out.

Expecting another entertaining game. Can't wait. Go Blues.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

If we play one ruck, and Sam Durdin/ Marchbank make the cut, I wouldnt mind Young tagging Daniher all game, even into the ruck. Wear him like a glove.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:43 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:

Lets hope we take advantage of our forward entries and stop bombing it in there ad nauseum. We're too predictable.

This is my biggest worry... We've been saying this for the best part of 3 years.....and yet this is what we seemed to be practising in the last two weeks.

We get killed against good opposition and Charlie disappears in finals because the opposition defence is NOT GOING TO BE out contested. They're good enough to contest, or good enough to set up, clog, block etc (and our smalls aren't elite... yet)

The only positive was Harry's games... He may be able to take more contested marks (than previously)..... juggled and two grabs won't cut it. He has to use his reach and one grab if the balls are dropping on their heads....

I'd also like to see forward entries to 45 - 50 metre mark to Boyd, McG, Acres, Zac.. and they have a ping .... any huge kickers.... Make the opposition defence second guess where the ball is going!!

Go Blues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:13 pm 
Bruce Doull

Martin Marchbank & Walsh all have question marks on their availability but it would be great if they were.

Kennedy & Williams played in the ressies & got through yeah?

Do we have an update on Motlop?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

got my tickets Ill be there flying the flag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

billc3 wrote:

I'd also like to see forward entries to 45 - 50 metre mark to Boyd, McG, Acres, Zac.. and they have a ping .... any huge kickers.... Make the opposition defence second guess where the ball is going!!

WE have the medium small players who can kick that far, circa 2024, so why not use them.

I loved that goal on the left from Boyd, but he can kick em from 55 as can those you mention. Docherty and Kennedy are another 2 smaller tupes who can too. Of the mids, maybe Cerra (not sure tho)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
Martin Marchbank & Walsh all have question marks on their availability but it would be great if they were.

Kennedy & Williams played in the ressies & got through yeah?

Do we have an update on Motlop?

Motlop's injury hasnt been named as "turf toe' so hoping he's just stumped it and is right to play, but who really knows? Seems he was taken off for just precautionary reasons. I reckon he'll play. Didnt look he was in the pain you'd expect from turf toe when taking off his sock and walking around.

Kennedy and Williams got through unscathed in warm conditions. Similar conditions they would have to face in Brizzy. Kennedy marked well and snagged a couple. Zac started on fire, with pace, and took the foot off the pedal as the day got hotter.

Sam Durdin was very rusty. There's a highlight mark you can see on X, which was impressive, but he's been out for a while in the recovery group.

Martin isn't a hope for round zero from what's been said (out 2-3 week). Marchbank trained all preseason, copped a badly bruised eye is about all, and has been recovering from covid I hear, hasn't done much competitive work in last 3 weeks, but should be better placed than Sam Durdin. We need at least one of the 2 big boys. Conditions will be trying for both in Brizzy having not played 4 quarters in last 2 weeks, but you never know re Marchy. Last year he came in as soon as he was fit enough to, despite what some fans opinions about him were. His selection said all there is to say how is held in the coaching group's mind.

Walshy has been running and has had a massive preseason. He has been cautiously prepared to play for round zero. Like Cooky said yesterday he could be a few days away or 3 weeks; its a back. I reckon he will be picked IF he's in no pain. Club has already taken the conservative approach over the last 20 days, and there's another 7 before the first bounce. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GMCbris wrote:
got my tickets Ill be there flying the flag

:thumbsup: Bagger army back in Brisvegas to paint the town Navy Blue.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:24 pm 
Bruce Doull

Thanks bondi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

Next Friday….

Ksssss…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:30 pm 
Bruce Doull

Not sure we can win this. The weitering's been on the wall all summer

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Last 10 to 12 games of last year masked over a lot of cracks. There has been this narrative that we will just carry on this year.
We went 15-1-10 last year and as good as some of the 15 were there was some horror shows amongst the 10.
I am hoping that the back end form rolls on this year but this club has let us down time and time again that I am not confident that by round 4 or 5 we are back to sacking Vossy.

Usually full of hope and excitement before round one but for what ever reason I have this feeling in my gut that we will come crashing down with a thud.

Bloody hope like hell I am wrong

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

I think we're all a bit caught up in the prematch dread of going up to the Gabba. We'd probably be feeling differently about the season if we were starting with North & Freo.

There's a lot of seriously good teams this year but I think we're one of them. It's going to be one hell of a ride...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:24 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Sydney Blue wrote:
Last 10 to 12 games of last year masked over a lot of cracks. There has been this narrative that we will just carry on this year.
We went 15-1-10 last year and as good as some of the 15 were there was some horror shows amongst the 10.
I am hoping that the back end form rolls on this year but this club has let us down time and time again that I am not confident that by round 4 or 5 we are back to sacking Vossy.

Usually full of hope and excitement before round one but for what ever reason I have this feeling in my gut that we will come crashing down with a thud.

Bloody hope like hell I am wrong

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

I have a similar sinking feeling but am encouraged by how often you are wrong… :lol:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:44 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I’m conservative and nervous by nature. Always, always hope for the best but worry about the worst.

Our pre season form hasn’t helped this.

Extremely tough gig first up. Made even harder being without Weiters. And likely Walsh.

Very even comp and hope like hell we’ll be in it up to our eyeballs. But fear we’ll battle early.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:16 am 
Craig Bradley

Couldn't be a better game to have first up with the injuries we have. With Weitering out I'd be nervous against just about anyone, such is our reliance on him to lead the backline and our lack of KPD depth.

Lions at the Gabba is the toughest game on the fixture and we would have been heavy underdogs even with a full list. Rather have a free swing at this knowing that a L won't affect the season. I would hate to lose a game we should win because we were missing Weiters.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:54 am 
Rod Ashman

I think we have two tests this season:
Test 1: Can we handle the expectation. We have failed miserably at this for the last 20years but I feel like our run to end the year and strong finals will hold us in good stead here.
Test 2: Can we add layers to our game plan? I think that is part of what fell apart early last year and we got back on track when we simplified things and kept it that way (contest/defence). We all can see that we need to add some layers particularly around turnovers and transition but I am worried that by trying that, we’ll lose our strength and start thinking too much…
Hopefully, we can pass both tests b/c we need to if we are going to finish top 4 and compete for the flag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next