Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: BEST 23 - 2024
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:50 pm 
Craig Bradley

If Marchbank is available, can't see Kemp playing ahead of him. Based on his final series and today's practice match. He seems to be good for a couple of monumental defensive cock ups each game.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

diesel95 wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
B: McGovern Kemp Newman
HB: Saad Weitering Williams
C: O.Hollands Cripps Acres
HF: E.Hollands McKay Martin
F: Fantasia Curnow Motlop

R: Dekoning Walsh Cerra

I: Docherty Kennedy Hewett Cottrell

E: Marchbank Cuningham Durdin

Some Notes:
One Ruck.
I am a fan of Kennedy and Hewett. Both hard and finals players when in form. Their leg speed can be covered with the inclusion of Williams and Fantasia.
A fit and healthy Fantasia just gets the nod over Cunningham and Durdin because of his experience, speed and goal kicking.
Kemp gets first go ahead of Marchbank based on last years form.
The Doc might struggle to get a game when all are fit.
The 4 on the Interchange bench could be made up from about 8 others, so I think we are in good shape.

Regards Cazzesman

I like it but I'd have Boyd in my 23. He provides more flexibility than Doc as the rotating defender. Can lock down a small back or play high and his ball use is first class. I agree E Hollands takes Cunningham spot as a forward mid. Boyd in the 22 and Hewett or Doc as 23rd. Other than that, I think it's a very good side. :thumbsup:

Yeah I think you got me there BV. I probably went the sympathy vote with Doc. He is not in our best 22 if all are fit.

I think he is one of the 8/10 that will float through the Interchange bench in 2024.

Regards Cazzesman

Doc won us a few games last season off his own boot i reckon when playing wing/mid role. no room for him as a pure defender with a fit list. it’s all gonna come down to form and fitness isn’t it? so much depth it’s embarrassing.

will Vossy and MC reward all players in a winning team or cycle through to allow younger players to develop. that’s the $64m question in my mind. was reluctant to so far. needed a telegram from the queen to to motlop and Hollande last season when it was obvious AF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we are to win a flag in the next 2 years, I expect Doc continue to be one to lead the way. He has IT.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:02 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Hopefully the addition of Williams, Carroll and E Hollands will improve us significantly this year. Maybe similar to 1995 when Rice, Clape and a young Camporeale took us to the next level?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Humpers wrote:
Hopefully the addition of Williams, Carroll and E Hollands will improve us significantly this year. Maybe similar to 1995 when Rice, Clape and a young Camporeale took us to the next level?

And Fantasia.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

GWS wrote:
Humpers wrote:

And Fantasia.

Yes I should have included Orazio as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Humpers wrote:
GWS wrote:
Humpers wrote:

And Fantasia.

Yes I should have included Orazio as well.

:thumbsup:

We have a good blend of experience and youth.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:03 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

A timely reminder of how lucky Carlton is to have these weapons at their disposal.

In the Age today...

Quote:
A yip-less Harry McKay was the hero of the hour, plucking a powerful mark and slotting the set shot to put the Blues ahead; McKay had set up the previous goal to Patrick Cripps, too, and while he had some glitches, Harry was the most influential player afield.
If McKay closed the deal, the Blues wouldn’t have been close if not for Harry’s forward partner Charlie Curnow, whose run of four goals in the second and third quarter whittled the Lions’ large lead to seven points.
So, while the competition contains too many variables to coronate Carlton (or condemn the Lions), the comeback should put paid to the specious notion that there isn’t room for McKay in a Curnow-centred attack.
The theory that the Blues fare better with only one of Curnow or McKay – which really means with only Charlie – gained a surprising level of currency within media, fans and even from some rival club officials in 2023.

Quote:

Over the past three seasons, Curnow averages 2.7 goals when playing alongside McKay and 3.6 when Harry is missing. McKay, meanwhile, averages 1.9 goals with Curnow and 3.1 when Charlie is grounded.
Somehow, the fact that both players kick more goals when they’re solo led to a conclusion – admittedly, a minority view – that the Blues would improve their flag prospects by selling McKay and letting Curnow hold up the forward line, potentially deploying Tom De Koning as the second tall target (and back-up ruck).

Quote:
Aided by this double threat, the Blues booted seven goals from just 14 entries in the third quarter.
The against-all-odds triumph highlighted that McKay and Curnow have different styles and dimensions – the former a hulking 200-centimetre giant, the latter a super athlete with rare agility and lateral movement. Hardly any rival teams have two key defenders with the necessary traits and talents to match both at once.

Quote:
For the Blues, Curnow can play higher up the field if necessary, as McKay keeps a tall back such as Andrews occupied. Ideally, the tandem work best when they’re surrounded by smalls and medium-sized options, rather than with De Koning as a third banana.
The slights on McKay have been a familiar case of critics – and I’ve not been immune – focusing too much on his foibles and forgetting his considerable strengths.
To have two menacing key forwards in one forward line is a major point of difference between the Blues and at least 16 clubs, and on Friday evening, it made all the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:08 am 
Rod Ashman

I find it interesting that a knock of both in the forward line together is that their goal averages are better when alone. Why is that such a surprising fact; it would seem obvious to me. Yet no-one ever mentions that their combined average score when together, 2.7 + 1.9, beats their individual averages when alone. Its a team game, so we are better off when both are playing; end of story!

GO BLUES!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:39 pm 
Ken Hunter

Was just about to chip in with that. Or ask what the whole team goal average is with one vs. both, which is obviously the most important metric.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

carntheblues wrote:
I find it interesting that a knock of both in the forward line together is that their goal averages are better when alone. Why is that such a surprising fact; it would seem obvious to me. Yet no-one ever mentions that their combined average score when together, 2.7 + 1.9, beats their individual averages when alone. Its a team game, so we are better off when both are playing; end of story!

GO BLUES!

100 % its not even a serious question really is it Carns . How lucky are we .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:50 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

GreatEx wrote:
Was just about to chip in with that. Or ask what the whole team goal average is with one vs. both, which is obviously the most important metric.

We should just select the 23 players with the highest game winning percentage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jezzarules wrote:
GreatEx wrote:

We should just select the 23 players with the highest game winning percentage

Food for thought

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:

GO BLUES!

That's the ticket Carna :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

Exactly people. You’d think having 2 guys sharing the load and having the opposition try to counter every week would be the best possible plan. It’s obvious though, they want us to trade, so we lose our key advantage, and then they can have something negative to write.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:49 pm 
Ken Hunter

I’ll add - as a mate said to me just yesterday, if Charlie and Harry share between 7-9 goals a game, you could have two Coleman medalist from the one team in the one year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Exactly people. You’d think having 2 guys sharing the load and having the opposition try to counter every week would be the best possible plan. It’s obvious though, they want us to trade, so we lose our key advantage, and then they can have something negative to write.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
I’ll add - as a mate said to me just yesterday, if Charlie and Harry share between 7-9 goals a game, you could have two Coleman medalist from the one team in the one year.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I remember the posters who wanted to trade Harry :wink: