Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:11 pm 
Rod Ashman

The_Cranium wrote:
Fuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk... reality setting in now. We had a genuine chance to win #17. Jumped them. Up by 5 and we shit the bed. @#$%&! @#$%&! @#$%&! @#$%&!

This.

Charlie Curnow needs to work harder. Three finals this year and the last 2 games of 2022. Being a Coleman medalist is nice, being a premiership player is what makes you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:12 pm 
John James

Kind of glad we lost in the end because we looked cooked and Brisbane will bring fresher legs and bodies to the grannie than us against another fresh and HATED team.

Would've loved to get out of jail again but I would rather not lose next week to a team that has almost all its ducks in order (no McStay doesn't help). I'm not sure we would've had enough in the tank.

The bright side is that we've well and truly banished the trauma and doubt of last year's excruciating exit.

Great effort nonetheless. Never laid down, just couldn't stay with them this time around. Bring on 2024.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:12 pm 
Bruce Doull

I know this sounds wrong, but I'm strangely relieved. We are gassed & if we'd somehow managed to bang on 3 late ones I reckon the pies would have got us, comfortably. And that would have been awful.

Well done to the MC once again. Keeping Marchbank over Kemp was good. Bringing in Boyd was good too. Shame that set shot of his didn't go the distance but still good game.

Acres once again super professional, especially his first half. Harry tried hard I thought, decent game.

On the way home I couldn't help thinking of Zac Williams. His foot skills are excellent, plus he's a smart stoppage player. It will be so good to have him back in defence, probably taking Cincotta's spot from tonight's squad.

Thanks for one hell of a ride this year Carlton, won't ever forget the 2023 Finals series. And well done us for the noise we've made at games, cannot underestimate the effect we have on the team.

It's good to be back. Go Blues.

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:15 pm 
Serge Silvagni

DesEnglish wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:
Fuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk... reality setting in now. We had a genuine chance to win #17. Jumped them. Up by 5 and we shit the bed. @#$%&! @#$%&! @#$%&! @#$%&!

This.

Charlie Curnow needs to work harder. Three finals this year and the last 2 games of 2022. Being a Coleman medalist is nice, being a premiership player is what makes you

NOPE.
Not even remotely correct.

See this "We Kill Charlie the way we used to kill Kernahan" at bottom of previous page.

PLUS - if your full forward kicks more goals than anyone else in the competition how is it is HIS fault not winning a premiership? He takes more inside 50 marks, more contested marks than Anyone else.

What has he gotta do? Kick 100 goals? 120?

At the risk of 'ad nauseum' - our forward delivery sucks in general and more players need to present as targets in space like the main three Lions did in abundance today.

That's why They won and We lost.

Last edited by Ghost of PrincesPark on Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:17 pm 
John James

Scary synchronicity there, CK.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:21 pm 
Ken Hunter

Agreed CK.

Also. This is the first year in a long time I've had respect from oppo supporters end of season.

Onwards and upwards etc.

Colon can GAGF tho.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

Disappointed but content with the year.
Marchbank was fantastic and showed why he has been so highly rated by many.
Boyd is best 22. No doubt in my mind. Should play all of 2024, if fit.
Hopefully McKay talk is put to bed. TdK, Motlop and Hollands are going to be better next year.
Missed SOS and hopefully Williams will make us stronger again.
Really need to add some pace across half forward.
Fog’s defensive pressure was good but he lacks the run and penetration needed. Cottrell doesn’t do enough. Sorry but them the facts.
If Elijah Hollands has pace and run, bring him in to play across half forward. Hopefully Williams can play across there next year as well.
All in all - the boys will hopefully use this disappointment to go further again next year and now know they can!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:47 pm 
Ken Hunter

Thought I was alright but got home and took my scarf etc off for the last time.

Ah well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:39 am 
Rod Ashman

Firstly, I’m super impressed by the thoughtful and balanced comments on here.
The best part coming out of that match, is the coaches know exactly what we need to work in for next year.
Lots to keep, but just need a bit more polish and forward tactics.
Having said that, I feel like when our midfield was dominating, we looked fast, clean and forward entries were awesome.
Problem is when our mids aren’t on top, our transition game struggles.
The MC were vindicated in their selections: Boyd, Marchbank in particular. And Hollands provided that run and manic intent that no-one else could have. He will need to get stronger but he is a beauty.
McG was great, I thought Harry stood up - Andrews was brilliant but that was mostly due to him leaving Harry to impact another contest.
Curnow will learn from that as will the rest of us in how to better use him in these high pressure games. He wasn’t far away from kicking 3 goals but we should have been able to exploit his advantage over Cameron.
Super proud of the effort. They were too good on the night. We have finished 3rd and a great platform to launch for next year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:21 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

17th Premiership wrote:
Having said that, I feel like when our midfield was dominating, we looked fast, clean and forward entries were awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that we looked fast and clean in the first qtr however I don't agree about our forward entries. 2 of our 5 goals came from dubious free kicks.

Last edited by Humpers on Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:26 am 
Ken Hunter

Everton and Man U getting away wins overnight has turned a sad-but-proud feeling into a shitty-pissed-off feeling!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:41 am 
Craig Bradley

Charlie has his issues but if the Gabba had a roof, our F50 entries would've been bouncing off the sheet metal all night long...

The bomb is what killed the first half of our season and it was sad that we reverted back to that in our biggest game this century. Sadly it's what we tend to do when Charlie and Harry are in the same team.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:49 am 
Ken Hunter

According to the afl.com.au match report, our best were:

Carlton: Walsh, McGovern, Weitering, Docherty, Saad, Newman

Then if you look at the player stats and sort by fantasy points, you get an almost identical list. What exactly is the point of "best" lists in this day and age? No one who watched and understood the game would come up with that list.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:58 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Brave till the end but I believe we lost it at the selection table kemp would have been ideal last night with he’s ability to intercept
Boyd was good so had no problem with him coming in but it should have been cincotta to go out of the team
Bring on 2024

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:58 am 
Rod Ashman

I was at the game yesterday.
Such cringe on the scoreboard when the Lions kicked their goals. :banghead: I'm so glad we don't do that type of bs.
Anyway, I'm still in Brisbane this morning, proudly wearing my Carlton Cap.
Go Blues in 2024 and beyond!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:30 am 
Ken Hands

Hornet wrote:
Charlie has his issues but if the Gabba had a roof, our F50 entries would've been bouncing off the sheet metal all night long...

The bomb is what killed the first half of our season and it was sad that we reverted back to that in our biggest game this century. Sadly it's what we tend to do when Charlie and Harry are in the same team.

This. If we could somehow lower the eyes when the big boys are down there we would have the best of both words, shouldn’t take Harry going out

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:43 am 
Rod Ashman

Team selection was vital to this result.
It could have been:
In: Owies & Kemp
Out: Motlop, Boyd or Hollands

Can't help reflecting on what might have been. What would have been the result if team selections were slightly different? You need more willing physical players in finals...and Owies & Kemp would have offered that. Owies provides emotional intensity as well.

Still, you can see their reasoning with dropping Owies (he wasn't great in the Melbourne match) and Kemp was ok, but had moments where his opponent won convincingly vs Melbourne.

They couldn't have dropped Motlop for his two goals vs Melbourne....so it was a bit of a selection headache for them.

You don't get many opportunities with a 19?, 23? 25 team or 36 team? comp or whatever it is these days to get to the top of the mountain... A team like Adelaide or Richmond might be vastly improved, so even with all the injuries...hugely disappointing. Carlton has to keep fighting to improve.

btw - When does Geraldton and Ganmain Grong-Grong get a team in the AFL as well? You know to even it out and all...so everyone has a team.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:59 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

tap in 79 wrote:
It could have been:

Can't help reflecting on what might have been. What would have been the result if team selections were slightly different?

Boyd and Hollands played well.
If Kemp played it would have been at the expense of Marchbank who I thought was our best player.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:07 am 
Rod Ashman

Humpers wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
It could have been:

Can't help reflecting on what might have been. What would have been the result if team selections were slightly different?

Boyd and Hollands played well.
If Kemp played it would have been at the expense of Marchbank who I thought was our best player.

I get what you are saying.

I liked Hollands' intensity, yet he was often chasing tail and not getting the ball himself. 11 possessions with 87% time on ground. It's Not really going to do the job.

Boyd was ok, yet Kemp had earned his spot for a season of work. Sure, he wasn't great vs Melbourne, but his ability in intercept marking made him a superior option to Boyd (in my opinion).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:16 am 
Ken Hunter

Boyd was more than OK... 17 possessions, 460m gained with 83% disposal efficiency, some crunching tackles including one when he brought down McInerney when he was looking to offload a handball in a dangerous position. Not sure who his opponent was but the Bears' smalls didn't carve us up as we'd feared. Who would Kemp have matched up on? It was a bold but logical selection that went to plan. All IMO as per.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next