Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:52 am 
Rod Ashman

I've been re-watching some of the home and away matches....and it reminded me of this Brisbane game at the GABBA.

1st quarter Carlton vs GWS Rd 3- (last 5 minutes of quarter) on the wing, GWS player does loopy 15-20 forward to teammate.
Hollands had the option of tackling the player receiving the ball, yet instead did that corralling thing where they hold their arms up...he stepped back, refused to tackle him and let the guy get a disposal away. He had plenty of time for the tackle, but opted against it.

Carlton vs Brisbane in the final - goal by Charlie Cameron.
The wingers' role is to run back and to provide defensive pressure. Hollands runs back to put pressure on Cameron and instead of tackling him around the hips, decided to run where he thought Cameron would be in 5 seconds. Cameron scoots around and goals.

If Hollands is going to play wing next year - love his good stuff..his courage to come back with the flight of the ball, to punch the ball away from Richmond player in Rd 1 & to stand in the hole etc...but the number 1 thing he has to work on is tackling...not around upper shoulders, but more hip to shoulder tackling. It has to become a strength.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

tap in 79 wrote:
I've been re-watching some of the home and away matches....and it reminded me of this Brisbane game at the GABBA.

1st quarter Carlton vs GWS Rd 3- (last 5 minutes of quarter) on the wing, GWS player does loopy 15-20 forward to teammate.
Hollands had the option of tackling the player receiving the ball, yet instead did that corralling thing where they hold their arms up...he stepped back, refused to tackle him and let the guy get a disposal away. He had plenty of time for the tackle, but opted against it.

The wingers' role is to run back and to provide defensive pressure. Hollands runs back to put pressure on Cameron and instead of tackling him around the hips, decided to run where he thought Cameron would be in 5 seconds. Cameron scoots around and goals.

If Hollands is going to play wing next year - love his good stuff..his courage to come back with the flight of the ball, to punch the ball away from Richmond player in Rd 1 & to stand in the hole etc...but the number 1 thing he has to work on is tackling...not around upper shoulders, but more hip to shoulder tackling. It has to become a strength.

Good point raised about the tactic we use: corralling. Shits me no end.

The examp[les you point out are good examples of corralling, but I don't think Hollands is guilty of it all the time, and less so thasn most of his team mates imo.

I've mentioned before, I like the way Hollands goes for the hips instead of corralling like his senior team mates have ingrained. Obviously Hollands has caught that disease atr time, and glad you pointed it out, because it should be an area of improvement for all.

Our current list is quicker and better skilled than yesteryear, and tackling pressure should continue to be our mantra. Corralling is the opposite of that mantra.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

The examp[les you point out are good examples of corralling, but I don't think Hollands is guilty of it all the time, and less so thasn most of his team mates imo.

I've mentioned before, I like the way Hollands goes for the hips instead of corralling like his senior team mates have ingrained. Obviously Hollands has caught that disease atr time, and glad you pointed it out, because it should be an area of improvement for all.

Our current list is quicker and better skilled than yesteryear, and tackling pressure should continue to be our mantra. Corralling is the opposite of that mantra.

I agree. The thing is I understand corralling in some limited circumstances, yet Hollands clearly had time for the tackle as it was an up and loopy handpass. He actually stepped back for the corralling.

That goal to Charlie Cameron wouldn't have been kicked or at the very least difficult to kick if Hollands opted for the tackle.

He is a great player. Fully endorse him, yet there are always areas for improvement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

tap in 79 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

I agree. The thing is I understand corralling in some limited circumstances, yet Hollands clearly had time for the tackle as it was an up and loopy handpass. He actually stepped back for the corralling.

That goal to Charlie Cameron wouldn't have been kicked or at the very least difficult to kick if Hollands opted for the tackle.

He is a great player. Fully endorse him, yet there are always areas for improvement.

Add being "outside 5" to the above. Why ever do it unless the umpire says you're too late to "stand" the mark?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:32 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

jezzarules wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

Add being "outside 5" to the above. Why ever do it unless the umpire says you're too late to "stand" the mark?

Only excuse would be to get between the player with the ball and his intended target, if close by: to put the ball player in two minds, and slow down play...one excuse for it. Sometimes it pays off, usually doesn't.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10