Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:53 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
Curnow tried hard but was soundly beaten, I think he could’ve been used further up the ground more, like we did with Harry.
He plays more like Jeremy Cameron in that role and his delivery is always a lot better than what we have coming from the middle.
McKay did some really good stuff up the ground and managed to kick a couple which was good to see.
I think our forward line were soundly beaten though, but a lot of that stemmed from poor delivery into F50.

Andrews 202 vs McKay 205 is a great match up but should have been closer to goal to give the crumbers something.

Charlie against Gardiner, both similar sizes, I get that, but Charlie was leading up and merely waiting for the big bomb, and like the rest of the Finals games, to coin a phrase, put his arms up to mark but 'flopped' around, and didn't really compete in the air, and allowed the defenders to dominate him.

Once TDK was injured and not dangerous that's probably why Lester left TDK and double teamed Charlie.

How many intercept marks the Lions had in defence is something I dont want to dwell on, but it was too many, too often, and reason we only kicked 4 goals for the last 3 quarters.

Vossy said yesterday he preferred for Harry to play closer to Charlie because they work better closer together, but it didn't happen and should have switched them if it was to remain as such for the rest of the game, as it did. That's on Vossy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:58 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

camel wrote:

........we had an opportunity in front of us to achieve more and didn’t take it. We could have won the Brisbane game and you can mount a strong argument that we could beat Collingwood in the GF.......

.......A couple of points on that, the first quarter was total bliss and while it was unlikely to last it shows us what we are capable of at the pointy end of the year when we play at our absolute best against elite competition....

.......It’s now up to the recruiters and coaches to tweak the list and game style to ensure we get the opportunity again next year. As a collective the players have shown they have the will.

GO BLUES!!!

Well said camel.

We are hungry for more, and top 4 to play Finals on our terms.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:07 am 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Curnow tried hard but was soundly beaten, I think he could’ve been used further up the ground more, like we did with Harry.
He plays more like Jeremy Cameron in that role and his delivery is always a lot better than what we have coming from the middle.
McKay did some really good stuff up the ground and managed to kick a couple which was good to see.
I think our forward line were soundly beaten though, but a lot of that stemmed from poor delivery into F50.

Andrews 202 vs McKay 205 is a great match up but should have been closer to goal to give the crumbers something.

Charlie against Gardiner, both similar sizes, I get that, but Charlie was leading up and merely waiting for the big bomb, and like the rest of the Finals games, to coin a phrase, put his arms up to mark but 'flopped' around, and didn't really compete in the air, and allowed the defenders to dominate him.

Once TDK was injured and not dangerous that's probably why Lester left TDK and double teamed Charlie.

How many intercept marks the Lions had in defence is something I dont want to dwell on, but it was too many, too often, and reason we only kicked 4 goals for the last 3 quarters.

Vossy said yesterday he preferred for Harry to play closer to Charlie because they work better closer together, but it didn't happen and should have switched them if it was to remain as such for the rest of the game, as it did. That's on Vossy.

You may not want to dwell on it bondi but it cuts to the heart of why we lost (IMVHO)...it also released scoreboard pressure on the Lions to continue with their gameplan, and made us panic into veering away from ours
The head always has and always will tell the body what to do

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:16 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

that's most of the problem i have with harry in the team ... we don't move the ball fast, we slow play along the lines and then bomb it deep into the forward line. where crumbers don't crumb and their defence is set up to rebound the other way.

those 7 or 8 games where we ran and carried and played fast and our pressure was over 200 every game. that needs to somehow be our template.

but i don't know how it becomes reality with our list and voss's want of two rucks and 2 full forwards and a tall backline etc

with no picks, no cap space i'm not sure there's much we can or will do before next season.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:43 pm 
Serge Silvagni

I've said it before, if they want to keep Harry in the forward line they need to:

1. paint a line from the middle of the goals straight out to the arc

2. tell Harry to stay on the right hand side of it (facing goals)

Forwards need to practice all running into space in different directions like the Lions did so easily after 1/4 time - endless unopposed marks and easy shots for goals by Daniher, Hipwood etc who normally Never get that much space.

All our forwards tend to line up facing where the ball is coming from down the wing.

That's where we missed Owies, he at least has the footy brain to sneak away to the middle or the other side to present an alternative target more than anyone else does.

Could he have helped make up a lousy 16 pt difference? I would say shit-yeah.

Bad selection, bad coaching. We had this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

Braithy wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

that's most of the problem i have with harry in the team ... we don't move the ball fast, we slow play along the lines and then bomb it deep into the forward line. where crumbers don't crumb and their defence is set up to rebound the other way.

those 7 or 8 games where we ran and carried and played fast and our pressure was over 200 every game. that needs to somehow be our template.

but i don't know how it becomes reality with our list and voss's want of two rucks and 2 full forwards and a tall backline etc

with no picks, no cap space i'm not sure there's much we can or will do before next season.

Don’t think it’s a Harry problem re ball movement

We have two really good key forwards that we need to utilise better. Every other team would love to have Curnow and McKay in their forward line.

Since the Collingwood game, our connection between our backs and forwards was not great

I think we relied too much on contested ball and being too defensive

Our effort and heart got us over the line in those close games. Let’s be honest and realise Melbourne threw that final away and should have won.

Good transition teams in Adelaide, Brisbane & GWS showed us up

I think Vossy needs to another layer to our game plan to win a premiership, which may include some personnel changes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:43 pm 
Rod Ashman

kezza wrote:
Just want to say that the Welcome to Country before the game was wonderful.

True - I thought because he made it all about bringing people together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:44 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Ghost of PrincesPark wrote:
I've said it before, if they want to keep Harry in the forward line they need to:

1. paint a line from the middle of the goals straight out to the arc

2. tell Harry to stay on the right hand side of it (facing goals)

Forwards need to practice all running into space in different directions like the Lions did so easily after 1/4 time - endless unopposed marks and easy shots for goals by Daniher, Hipwood etc who normally Never get that much space.

All our forwards tend to line up facing where the ball is coming from down the wing.

That's where we missed Owies, he at least has the footy brain to sneak away to the middle or the other side to present an alternative target more than anyone else does.

I think you have something there with Owies, he does so much blocking and off ball work that was really missed on the weekend. Motlop may have better highlights but he doesn’t impact the game for long enough whereas Owies does.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:34 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

:roll: The 16 point margin was generous. It should have been 36 points. Could Owies have done anything? Highly unlikely. Was Owies influential in any final? No. He was more a liability. If he has currency, as you think he does, now would be the time to trade him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:51 pm 
Serge Silvagni

All I'm saying is that this club deserves a better forward structure than Harry & Charlie bumbling into each other on most entries.

And that at least Owies has a pattern of looking for space to run into.

Are we not totally shitted off to see other club's forwards relentlessly running forward into space to take uncontested chest marks from low drilled passes?

I know I am.

It's not effing rocket-surgery and other than 5 games in July we've demonstrated an utterly inept incapacity to do this football 'basic' for YEARS.

We weren't doing it during and prior to the slump, we got it right during 5 big wins against 2nd rate opposition and only won the games since due to a massively oversized contested ball win which was/is not sustainable and was only a testament to the sheer will & determination of the playing group.

But will & determination should not be the only ingredient and not relied upon to win games at the expense of basic fundamentals that we sorely lack.

... manning up in defence
... presenting mobile targets coming out of defence
... running into @#$%&! space in the forward line

Shits me no end when others cannot see this.

The ease with which McInerney, Daniher & Hipwood and their mates did all of the above after 1/4 time is such a patently obvious contrast it's embarrassing.

I have pointed out for over 30 years that a big chunk of Hawthorn's '80s success was whenever Jason Dunstall saw a mate in the centre with the ball he just started running full pelt to be the target for an easy chest mark.
You NEVER saw the prick's armpits! He never had to reach over his head Once!

Geelong is similar for the last 15 years, when a mid has the ball he looks up and sees at least FOUR blokes already running in different directions and only has to size up which one has the extra metre on his opponent to kick to.
Watch their games - that has been their 'secret' for all this time: Gut-Running from forwards.

Our lot couldn't 'gut run' if they had diarrhea and needed to find a dunny to avoid embarrassing themselves.

We killed Kernahan with overhead bombs, we're killing Charlie and H. the same way.

The Carlton Football Club has failed to look around them and understand this Football Fundamental since 1995.

And I for one am utterly Sick of it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

Agreed forward entries need to be the priority this off season.
Disagree with criticism of our defence, I reckon we're elite at the back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

I think it’s on the coaches (forwards / connection coach).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:06 pm 
Harry Vallence

great season

Couldnt have asked for more at the beginning of round 1

Thanks Blues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

All I'm saying is that this club deserves a better forward structure than Harry & Charlie bumbling into each other on most entries.

And that at least Owies has a pattern of looking for space to run into.

Are we not totally shitted off to see other club's forwards relentlessly running forward into space to take uncontested chest marks from low drilled passes?

I know I am.

It's not effing rocket-surgery and other than 5 games in July we've demonstrated an utterly inept incapacity to do this football 'basic' for YEARS.

We weren't doing it during and prior to the slump, we got it right during 5 big wins against 2nd rate opposition and only won the games since due to a massively oversized contested ball win which was/is not sustainable and was only a testament to the sheer will & determination of the playing group.

But will & determination should not be the only ingredient and not relied upon to win games at the expense of basic fundamentals that we sorely lack.

... manning up in defence
... presenting mobile targets coming out of defence
... running into @#$%&! space in the forward line

Shits me no end when others cannot see this.

The ease with which McInerney, Daniher & Hipwood and their mates did all of the above after 1/4 time is such a patently obvious contrast it's embarrassing.

I have pointed out for over 30 years that a big chunk of Hawthorn's '80s success was whenever Jason Dunstall saw a mate in the centre with the ball he just started running full pelt to be the target for an easy chest mark.
You NEVER saw the prick's armpits! He never had to reach over his head Once!

Geelong is similar for the last 15 years, when a mid has the ball he looks up and sees at least FOUR blokes already running in different directions and only has to size up which one has the extra metre on his opponent to kick to.
Watch their games - that has been their 'secret' for all this time: Gut-Running from forwards.

Our lot couldn't 'gut run' if they had diarrhea and needed to find a dunny to avoid embarrassing themselves.

We killed Kernahan with overhead bombs, we're killing Charlie and H. the same way.

The Carlton Football Club has failed to look around them and understand this Football Fundamental since 1995.

And I for one am utterly Sick of it.

well said ghosty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

aboynamedsue wrote:
Stefchook wrote:
Braithy wrote:
the other side of the draw woulda been much nicer. lol

Too right it would have been. GWS were terrific, but they also got a much easier run in the finals.

GWS had to travel interstate every week during the finals. Not sure they had an easier run than us. Admittedly, Brisbane in Brisbane has become the toughest fixture in AFL - but at least we got to play on our home ground in the first two weeks of the finals. If we had to have played at the Adelaide Oval in the semi, I’m not so sure we would have made it to the prelim.

I'd be happy to travel if we got to play Port. Our draw was not short of brutal, hard contested footy then had to go to Brisbane. They got a bruise free game, in context of a final, against Port. We would have been so banged up and had a crack at the Pies alot fresher. Would have preferred to play the Pies than go to the Gabba. If we got within 16pts of the Lions at the Gabba reckon we could have taken the Pies, even banged up, who relied on poor umpiring non-decisions to get over the line.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:20 pm 
Craig Bradley

Humpers wrote:
8 day break - tick
Almost 50% crowd support - tick
Kick the first 5 goals of the game - tick

Unfortunately we were just not good enough and still need to improve significantly to challenge next year.
What we need to do is not lose 8 games in 9 rounds. That way we are not playing sudden death games for weeks on end to the point of being plain knackered come the PF. Would mean top 4, a fresher side and a flag. Brisbane was the only top 8 side we didn't beat all year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:17 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Hard to believe but Blues have actually had 27 losing finals by a lesser margin than Saturday's 16 points!

5 of them since our last GF.

We've obviously suffered too much - there's only been 7 of those.
(losing ones since '99 that is)

Incidentally, putting a stop to consecutive unanswered goal runs came unstuck v Brisbane.
7 goals in a row by them was the worst run against us since Ess* in rd.13 (8)

Lions scored 11 times in a row without us troubling the scoreboard once.

Yet, if only Cottrell had kicked that goal in the 3rd instead of sending the ball skywards...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:06 am 
formerly Yazzamatazz

We had planned to jump Brisbane hard the way we did.

We had no choice as the team was cooked.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:25 pm 
Harry Vallence

I finally got around to watching the replay of this game last weekend.

The first quarter - wow....

As the poster above said we were gassed, the potential is there, now we need to be able to make that output more consistent throughout the year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

I still haven’t watched the replay. It’s still too soon :cry:

My lasting memory of being at the ground was how awesome the Carlton supporters were. We turned out in numbers and there was lots of love for the players as they came off. And it wasn’t a “close enough is good enough” vibe amongst the supporters either, more of a “keep growing guys - we know this is just the beginning” type vibe.

I walked out of the Gabba that night knowing we had just been soundly beaten by a better team - the final margin really did flatter us - but also not feeling dispirited about the future.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next