Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:39 am 
Ken Hunter

CK95 wrote:
Feeling a bit more empty than I was last night. It's sunk in that it's all over.

Me too.

As gutsy as we've been, there is only one prize.

And I don't want either of those teams winning next week.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:40 am 
Bruce Doull

Yep. I had some kind of weird peace yesterday.

Today, I’m devastated.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:43 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

aboynamedsue wrote:
99prelim wrote:
We were the slightly better side on the night.

I respectfully disagree. And so do the stats.

I was at the game and it felt like the Lions should have won by more. It was one way traffic after qtr time and they blew some easy chances - in particular Charlie Cameron.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:43 am 
Robert Walls

Braithy wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
The minute Braithy was happy with our selections I knew we were [REDACTED].

come on ... boyd was one of if not our best?

I'm joking. It's just funny that you hated the selections for the first two finals (which we won) and loved the selections for this one (which we lost).
Boyd was, indeed, amongst our best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:46 am 
Bob Chitty

Disappointing to lose but proud with the fight and effort. Brisbane on their ground is the toughest task in football at the moment. The other problem with Brisbane is that their strengths are our weaknesses - ball movement and speed outside the contest. We’re brutal in the contest but they match up well against us because if they can even up the midfield battle, we can’t go with them on the outside, especially on their quick deck.

Thought the backline was pretty good across the board. Boyd was an inspired selection and think the kid has a future with his defensive instincts and kicking.
Harry was our only effective forward. Thought he was good.
Walsh good in the midfield but didn’t get enough support ultimately.

Was at the game in the forward pocket with all the other Carlton supporters. The first quarter was an incredible experience with the Carlton supporters really taking over the ground. Disappointing after that but hats off to Brisbane who were just better than us over the course of 4 quarters.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:53 am 
Robert Walls

aboynamedsue wrote:
99prelim wrote:

And I'm ok with that...it's just my opinion abns

First fact though is that the qtrs were shared equallly score wise

I guess for me, the optics tell me that we torched more transition chances than they did, which probably gave the opp more stats than they should've had...turnover metropolis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:53 am 
Robert Walls

grrofunger wrote:

Today, I’m devastated.

Same!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:55 am 
Robert Walls

Humpers wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
99prelim wrote:

I was at the game and it felt like the Lions should have won by more. It was one way traffic after qtr time and they blew some easy chances - in particular Charlie Cameron.

To me it wasn't the behinds or posters, that's the outcome...it was the many many opportunities presented to us that didn't even make their way onto the scoresheet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:56 am 
Harry Vallence

grrofunger wrote:

Today, I’m devastated.

Yup , I know the feeling it’s the finiteness of the result.
However exceptional effort from the boys to be able rise to the level of preliminary finalists from the dismal ashes.
Had one mentioned such a possibility a few months ago they would have been laughed at and thrown out.
Go
Blues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

Humpers wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
99prelim wrote:

Yeah, I was at at the ground as well. I thought Brisbane were simply too good. And looking at the stats after the game, I wasn’t surprised that they outperformed us in almost every area.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:02 pm 
Robert Walls

Is it just me or would we be feeling better this morning if GWS had won Friday night????

My mates and i all agreed yesterday that had GWS won, last night would've had a different feel.

We would've spent more time than we did in Lygon St celebrating Collingwood's demise

Now we have to put up with the anxiety of a possible Collingwood premiership

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:08 pm 
Wayne Johnston

CK95 wrote:
bluedog wrote:
Which reminds me, do we really need to pay what is paid for GF entertainment?

I'd pay a million if they came out & played their mega sleazy stuff from Dressed To Kill :lol:

I'm hoping for them to do The Elder from start to finish. Just a Boy will bring the house down.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:25 pm 
Harry Vallence

aboynamedsue wrote:
99prelim wrote:

+1.

I know we're a bit emotional now but we were not the better side after quarter time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:26 pm 
Ken Hunter

Also feeling flatter this morning than last night.
99prelim wrote:
Is it just me or would we be feeling better this morning if GWS had won Friday night????

My mates and i all agreed yesterday that had GWS won, last night would've had a different feel.

We would've spent more time than we did in Lygon St celebrating Collingwood's demise

I would.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

99prelim wrote:

What's the next best thing after Carlton winning a grand final?

Collingwood losing one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

Unfortunate ending to a brilliant second half of the season.
I didn’t think we’d make finals let alone winning 2 of them.
The boys should be proud and have the fire to go all the way next year.

We were doomed from the start IMO, we are too slow and lack enough players with good skills and decision making more often than not.
We really need to add speed in the middle and wings in the off season, that killed us today and has been our issue for several years now and we can’t hide from it anymore.
We also really need to tighten up our F50 entries, we could’ve had them in the bag in the first quarter or comeback in the last, very costly especially with 2 dominant forwards on the ground.
Instead Harris Andrews had a blinder because of it.
Brisbane are a really good team, quicker and strong with good decision making and skills to match, it was always going to be a tough game, especially at the Gabba.
At least we didn’t get flogged.

We were dominated in the ruck by a bigger smarter ruck and that’s were the problems started.
Both Pitto and TDK were soundly beaten.
TDK only attended 3 of the 24 CB’s, I think he should’ve been in there a bit more against a ruck that doesn’t jump as good as him.
Our midfield tried hard but in the end were too slow and easily beaten.
Walsh was outstanding, we need another mid or two at his level.
Dunkley did a number on the captain, I said it at the time, I really would’ve like to have got him.
Our wings were too slow and Berry killed Hollands (11 disposals & 146m gained) and Acres was good but not as good as he has been.
Hollands was always going to be a risky inclusion but I’m guessing it was done just incase Doc or Acres were injured. He got pushed off the ball way too easily for a finals game.
I hope he hits the gym hard for the next 5 months, with a ton of sprint training.

I thought Boyd was huge and was a great selection.
Marchbank also played a good game, did some really nice things.
Weitering played a great game also.
Saad really put the brakes on Charlie which was great to see.
Newman was instrumental at times but dropped his head for a couple of kicks straight to Coleman who tore us a new one.
Cincotta played alright, did some nice things but could’ve been better.
Williams will be a great injection to the back 6 next season and will address some of our shortfalls.

Cottrell was really disappointing, he popped up at the start and the end but went missing all game.
Martin kicked a couple but overall was a little quiet and we needed the ball in his hands more often, his defensive work is invaluable.
Motlop and Fogarty were soundly beaten, didn’t really do much to impact the game.
I think Owies being dropped may have been another selection error.
Curnow tried hard but was soundly beaten, I think he could’ve been used further up the ground more, like we did with Harry.
He plays more like Jeremy Cameron in that role and his delivery is always a lot better than what we have coming from the middle.
McKay did some really good stuff up the ground and managed to kick a couple which was good to see.
I think our forward line were soundly beaten though, but a lot of that stemmed from poor delivery into F50.

A lot to unpack in the off season, but we have a lot of good things working at the club at the moment.
I hope we make some tough calls at the trade table this year and inject some more talent to address our areas of weakness and we go all the way next year.
Thanks to the players, coaches and club for making following the Blues fun again.
Go Blues!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

Nice summary, Sidefx!

Yes...I thought TDK into the ruck more would have been very useful.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

Had a crack but not quite good enough . We had a go . Hats off to Brisbane coz they put there foot down and we couldn't go with them ...................... all i wish for is that our team is hardened by the disappointment and fired up to do better ..................... and we have to improve next year just to maintain our spot . The opposition will be coming thick and fast so its no resting on your laurels . The work has just begone .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:04 pm 
Robert Walls

Mickstar wrote:
Had a crack but not quite good enough . We had a go . Hats off to Brisbane coz they put there foot down and we couldn't go with them ...................... all i wish for is that our team is hardened by the disappointment and fired up to do better ..................... and we have to improve next year just to maintain our spot . The opposition will be coming thick and fast so its no resting on your laurels . The work has just begone .

Well said Mickstar

Hope it stirs the fire in the belly further. Cause for self improvement from within and canny drafting (which may require for some ruthless decision making)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

london blue wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Well said Mickstar

Hope it stirs the fire in the belly further. Cause for self improvement from within and canny drafting (which may require for some ruthless decision making)

Yes , all of that London . As you say mate , the off field stuff is gonna be just as important as the on field stuff . As a few have already mentioned the gathering of the players after the match was a good sign . Next year will be a crash or crash through year .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next